Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:34 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How about you, you find your job meaningful or meaningless and pointless? That if you left your job tomorrow you wouldn't be missed?
You do know those are two different questions that have nothing to do with each other.
The first job is on point with your post. The second question isn't related to the first -- at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 PM

89 posts, read 113,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So if you do have a pointless, meaningless job and are getting paid well enough, why the misery?

How about you, you find your job meaningful or meaningless and pointless? That if you left your job tomorrow you wouldn't be missed?
I, personally, don't feel like my job is "meaningful." However--and I hate to say even this much about my job, but I will--the place I work at sells all kinds of flags (and flag accessories), and the American flag is a big deal in the US and there are other flags that seem very important to various groups of people, as well. Flags just aren't important to me, and I suppose that's why I don't think my job is meaningful. I am basically responsible for the web side of the business and keep that side rolling efficiently and functionally. Again, this is probably important to a lot of people--after all, the online side of the business alone generates well over $100,000 a year in revenue--just not to me.

I'm not miserable, though, and I don't really see the connection between a job being "meaningful" or "meaningless" and being happy. Then again, I'm also a person for whom how much I make is not connected to whether or not I'm happy with the job. I feel like this is the best job I've ever had. And I'm happy with the job for two main reasons: 1) how I get treated by my employer and 2) as far as the actual job and its duties, I'm 95% in my comfort zone each and every day...meaning I'm not stressed out, I'm not in over my head and I'm not constantly having to deal with people (the bit that I do deal with people is the other 5%)...and I am doing something with technology.

If I left my job, I'd definitely be missed because I'm the best at it.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm curious how you reconcile your beginning and ending statements. The seem diametrically opposed.
Read it again. The 1st you highlighted referred to me & the latter, others. Many do treat jobs as if everyone is lucky they're there. I don't, whether I like what I'm doing or not... I appreciate the rent funds.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I work in insurance helping people get disability insurance which I really feel is very important to people. If they were disabled tomorrow and couldn't bring home a paycheck how would they manage? So it's not completely meaningless work.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'm in between most days. There are days where I think I've really accomplished something, and other days are very pedestrian.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
My company is in the business of providing information to people and rendering it "understandable" to pretty much anyone. From my perspective, that is meaningful and helps to level the playing field a bit.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
I have a security job, it's at the World Trade Center but, it's still a security job so, not just "no" but "hellz no".

I like the people, and the pace, and it pays the bills but, my skills are degrading and eventually the wages will not keep pace. I merely keep the job because almost everything else pays much less and dequires much more.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Bimonthly direct deposit are always meaningful. I require nothing else from my employment.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I've been retired for a few years, but I loved my job and found it very meaningful. The money was great, but it was not the reason I loved my job. I've always loved nature and was taught to fish when I was 3 or 4 years old. My dad taught me all about fish, but went to work for Boeing Aircraft.

I was able to start my work in Fisheries Management in the late 70's. I managed hatcheries in Oregon and was able to rear and release trout and salmon in streams all across Oregon. It was very cool to pull up to a stream or lake and have cheering anglers (kids and adults) so excited to see those fish come out of the truck!

I was also heavily involved in education and built a wild trout pond and stream that displayed excellent habitat that fish, and other aquatic animals needed to survive.

Coolest job I ever had and I still miss it! I still get involved in volunteer projects as they come along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment