Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 PM

66 posts, read 40,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
It makes sense if you're gone in 9 months.

Tell me, the recruiter that contacted you for that other company - was it a third party recruiter or was it the company's internal recruiter?

The answer is very important.
The recruiter is internal - hiring manager did most of the work with the offer (she's the one who called me up about the offer, not HR). HR just provided docs and set up interviews. I honestly don't think my job here is at risk unless my performance deteriorates in time.

Also.. I think it's business. People come and go at my current company. I think it's expected for an employee of 2+ years to start to wander around. I know some coworkers who boomeranged (left and came back). I know some who've gotten counter offered to stay. So even IF my boss really somehow found out, I think she'd be more understanding (at least I would hope so). But I don't think that's the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Hey Bobsell, thanks for taking your time to reply! I know you offered me some good insights on the previous post, thanks a lot!

So yeah, I've told some of my CLOSE coworkers (there's no chance in hell they'd rat me out) about it obviously cause I wanted their opinion on this. Otherwise I've kept things on the downlow.

No, I have not been searching for a job. The opportunity was handed to me.

And yes, as of now it's all just a verbal offer. They have not sent over the package to me.
I HONESTLY would stay given that this managerial position is exciting for me (they will hiring a Jr. Analyst for me to manage before promoting me), and it sounds like my boss actually has my back and likes me.

Uncertainty scares me. What if I'm not getting the same treatment at [snip]? What if I don't get along with the people there? What if I under-perform? Should I risk moving to a bigger company, making the SAME amount of money?

The only reason I'm moving to [snip] in the first place is b/c of the brand name itself + finance industry vs retail (my current).

I honestly don't know what to think/do/say. What do you think?
What if your manager knew you are getting a new job and started looking for a new analyst as your replacement and the 9 month promotion was just a carrot???

No one usually gives a sudden raise and it made sense when you mentioned "close" coworkers.

Usually you have to be performing a manager role if you are looking at a promotion. They wouldnt hire someone for you to manage.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Usually it doesn't make sense to leave a job for a different company with the same job title and no salary bump, unless you are already maxed out in your job salary range. And Especially if you are happy at the current job and have built up a good reputation and goodwill. There is a price you have to put on that. Can't just give that up for free. If you are completely miserable and stressed out where it affects your health and personal life, sure leave. I doubt a credit card company is a very complex financial services busienss like investment banking or hedge funds or insurance, but they will expect much from a new experienced hire to pick up faster. You might likely have an increased workload and might work longer hours initially, which may or may not make you regret having no salary bump compared to your old job.
Thanks man, this is ultimately what I thought too.
I would also have increased workload here since my boss is 'growing me into that role' and I would have a direct report. Same war different battles lol

Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
What if your manager knew you are getting a new job and started looking for a new analyst as your replacement and the 9 month promotion was just a carrot???

No one usually gives a sudden raise and it made sense when you mentioned "close" coworkers.

Usually you have to be performing a manager role if you are looking at a promotion. They wouldnt hire someone for you to manage.

But she'd already mentioned about the managerial position before I told my close coworkers 3 weeks ago - and one of my friends got a random 5K bump last week. So I think it's coincidental. I know I didn't mention this in my original thread - my bad. I just learned of this today (about my friend's bump).

It's also not unusual here for a Sr. Analyst to manage a Jr. Analyst

Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
It's not your 'job' but we're on this forum to share opinions and get feedback
Dude, you seem very confused, to have reading comprehension issues with understanding my posts & conveniently avoid addressing what I've brought up about leaving out an important detail of knowing about the promotion 3-wks in advance... this is my 3rd time saying this. Instead of thanking the many people for helping, you're turning on me. Yes, I'm on the forum & sometimes in the Employment threads. Yes, I share opinions. Yes, I welcome feedback from the people I've mentioned before, who give sound advice on Work & Employment issues. What's with the 'tude?

You asked me if it were a wise decision for you to remain at your job, after already saying you'd stay. My reply was, how on earth would I know... it's not my job & you need to make that determination on your own. Most have advised you to leave & you've said you'll stay... so why further ask me or anyone else? You've made up your mind. What is your issue?

I'm beginning to agree with a previous poster who said you may not know what you want & might be a bit green for mngmt at this point. You're also extremely lucky to be new to the work force & making the kind of $ you're making.

But, good luck, nonetheless.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Dude, you seem very confused, to have reading comprehension issues with understanding my posts & conveniently avoid addressing what I've brought up about leaving out an important detail of knowing about the promotion 3-wks in advance... this is my 3rd time saying this. Instead of thanking the many people for helping, you're turning on me. Yes, I'm on the forum & sometimes in the Employment threads. Yes, I share opinions. Yes, I welcome feedback from the people I've mentioned before, who give sound advice on Work & Employment issues. What's with the 'tude?

You asked me if it were a wise decision for you to remain at your job, after already saying you'd stay. My reply was, how on earth would I know... it's not my job & you need to make that determination on your own. Most have advised you to leave & you've said you'll stay... so why further ask me or anyone else? You've made up your mind. What is your issue?

I'm beginning to agree with a previous poster who said you may not know what you want & might be a bit green for mngmt at this point. You're also extremely lucky to be new to the work force & making the kind of $ you're making.

But, good luck, nonetheless.
You honestly don't need to be THAT defensive
How am I avoiding what you brought up when I addressed it on the previous post? I try my best to fill in every information possible. It's inevitable that I might miss some details. What part of that is avoiding?

You were already being sassy with me when you said "it's not my job". First of all, that wasn't even actually a question when I said "Wouldnt really make sense for me to leave would it - especially since Im content?" You're the one with comprehension issues.

Take a chill pill dude

Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Hmmm.

Based on this latest info I still say really think long and hard about this.

You graduated 3 years ago. And maybe it's me being a little jaded but I think you should move on. You need to think about your future. It's going to be a risk either way.

There's a risk to staying and a risk to going. Since you're young with energy you should pay your dues as quickly as possible and jump around some more.

I don't like the idea of someone staying the same place for more than 2 years early in their career. It could stunt growth in the long term. In order to evolve quickly as a professional you need to have experience in multiple environments while you're in your 20s.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Hmmm.

Based on this latest info I still say really think long and hard about this.

You graduated 3 years ago. And maybe it's me being a little jaded but I think you should move on. You need to think about your future. It's going to be a risk either way.

There's a risk to staying and a risk to going. Since you're young with energy you should pay your dues as quickly as possible and jump around some more.

I don't like the idea of someone staying the same place for more than 2 years early in their career. It could stunt growth in the long term. In order to evolve quickly as a professional you need to have experience in multiple environments while you're in your 20s.
Hey man, I actually graduated 4 years ago. Why do you think it's better to move around when you're young? Doesn't it look better on your resume when you have company loyalty, ESPECIALLY if they see you grow internally, vs jumping ships?

I am promised a managerial promo in 9+ months, won't that show career progression within this company? (analyst > sr > mgr)?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:53 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
Quote:
Hey man, I actually graduated 4 years ago. Why do you think it's better to move around when you're young? Doesn't it look better on your resume when you have company loyalty, ESPECIALLY if they see you grow internally, vs jumping ships?

I am promised a managerial promo in 9+ months, won't that show career progression within this company? (analyst > sr > mgr)?
yes its always good to have that kind of progressions, no matter if you have just one company or 5 or 10 companies in your resume..
keep looking though around the 9 month mark just in case the promotion doesn't go through, need to have options...
i've known people who went from financial analyst to senior director in about ten years, at the same company, and this is recent, so it is doable, really depends on your drive and how successful you are at networking.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
yes its always good to have that kind of progressions, no matter if you have just one company or 5 or 10 companies in your resume..
keep looking though around the 9 month mark just in case the promotion doesn't go through, need to have options...
i've known people who went from financial analyst to senior director in about ten years, at the same company, and this is recent, so it is doable, really depends on your drive and how successful you are at networking.
Thanks for the reassurance man! I'm glad I stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment