Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my follow-up story to the thread I posted last Thursday:
Got a Job Offer as Sr. Analyst at New Company; Boss Now Wants to Promote me to Manager - Need to Decide Tomorrow.
I asked an Admin to edit the company names out of respect.

Just to give you my background: I work for a fortune 100 retail store (department store), love my job, but was scouted by a massive credit card company recently ([snip]) and was given an offer which I accepted VERBALLY last Friday. They have not sent me the package info and whatnot.

I haven't given my 2 weeks in yet (I was planning to do so today). However, package hasn't come in yet (I don't know when it'll be, but my new hiring manager said it'll be early this week).

My current boss will be out on maternity leave on Thursday, meaning Wednesday will be my last chance to give in my 2 weeks verbally. I REALLY REALLY am hoping I get the chance to have a sit down with my current boss before she leaves (it would be HORRIBLE to have to send an email about my 2 weeks in..)

But here's the twist: My boss emailed me this morning out of nowhere.. basically complimenting my hard work/skills and ultimately gave me a nice salary bump, which is EXACTLY how much I'll be making at my new company.

She also said she'll promote me to manager in 9+ months (I knew it wouldn't be this year..).

Thing is, as I mentioned before, I love where I work now and I'm actually happy about the salary bump. I mean, it's the same amount of money I'll be making at [snip].

What the heck should I do? I obviously don't wanna burn bridges with either party. A little part of me wants to stay, but I'm afraid I will ruin my reputation if I retract my offer.

Please help.. I'm very stressed out about this. I'm either making the best decision in my life or slightly worse decision (both are good opportunities to me..)

Thanks!
Its a brick n mortar retail store?

It'll be closing shop in 2 years. The credit card company won't.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:11 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I would not do anything without a written offer. You now have more leverage to talk [snip] higher.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

66 posts, read 40,891 times
Hey guys - just a clarification: I've only told CLOSE friends (co workers) about it, I can bet my life they didn't say anything to my boss.

PLUS we all have different bosses, I haven't told anyone that works for my boss. We can just get that out of the picture.

It IS as a matter of fact, just a coincidence. Just like how my manager pulled me in A DAY after my first interview, talking about the managerial promotion.

It's just weird timing. Also the fact that she's leaving for maternity in 2 days, I think she just wanted to give me some idea of my career trajectory when she leaves.

I was told on Friday that they can only do 85k MAX, not more. I doubt they will try to counter my new salary.

Should I stay or go? and if I decided to retract my offer from [snip], would that REALLY ruin my reputation? I don't want to burn any bridges here..

I still don't know what to do. I feel like I'll be happier staying, but I will regret this FOREVER if I don't make the move.

Thoughts?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM

66 posts, read 40,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would not do anything without a written offer. You now have more leverage to talk AMEX higher.

But what if they won't go higher than 85? They gave me 85, i accepted it at 85, then my boss bumped me up to 85 COINCIDENTALLY (I promise you it wasn't because she heard I was leaving).

Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Hey guys - just a clarification: I've only told CLOSE friends (co workers) about it, I can bet my life they WON'T ever tell my boss.
Still risky.

Quote:
It IS as a matter of fact, just a coincidence. Just like how my manager pulled me in A DAY after my first interview, talking about the managerial promotion.
What kind of recruiter were you dealing with? [snip] recruiter? or a third party headhunter?

Third party headhunters love to poach talent and then sell the hiring manager of the poached talent's old company of their services to sell replacements. I wouldn't be surprised if your boss already has been contacted by the 3rd party recruiter.

Quote:
I was told on Friday that they can only do 80k MAX, not more. I doubt they will try to counter my new salary.
That's not the same as matching your current offer. What is the actual number they're offering you? What is the number [snip] is giving you?

Also, what is the retail company you're currently working for? The Retailpocalypse is hitting retail companies hard.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Your boss gave you a salary bump, but did it come with increased responsibilities that you can sell to a new company if she all of a sudden has amnesia when she returns from maternity leave? You should think in terms of whether staying with your current company will benefit you long-term, or if the bump in salary is just a nice perk. Because she's essentially rewarding you for past behavior. Money isn't everything. If you are not going to have an opportunity to grow at your current place...leave. A lot of things can happen in nine months. That's an EXTREMELY long time for massive changes to happen within a company.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM

133 posts, read 87,547 times
Quote:
Hey guys - just a clarification: I've only told CLOSE friends (co workers) about it, I can bet my life they didn't say anything to my boss.

PLUS we all have different bosses, I haven't told anyone that works for my boss. We can just get that out of the picture.

It's just weird timing. Also the fact that she's leaving for maternity in 2 days, I think she just wanted to give me some idea of my career trajectory when she leaves.

I was told on Friday that they can only do 85k MAX, not more. I doubt they will try to counter my new salary.

Should I stay or go? and if I decided to retract my offer from [snip], would that REALLY ruin my reputation? I don't want to burn any bridges here..

I still don't know what to do. I feel like I'll be happier staying, but I will regret this FOREVER if I don't make the move.

Thoughts?

What was your initial reason for looking elsewhere? Most people leave their bosses not necessarily the company. If your relationship with your current boss is good, you're going to make the same money, and the conversation has already been started about the next step in your career with the promotion, I would stay put. Just the promotion situation alone would be reset to 0 if you leave for [snip]. I don't see the benefit of leaving at this point.

You would not be burning any bridges as long as you explain what happened to the recruiter. If they would like to up their offer, then you would consider it, but at this point it would be a completely lateral move with no monetary benefit so you've decided to decline the offer. No shame in that as it is a completely logical explanation. You would burn bridges if you cut off communication and didn't provide any explanation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Since you love your present job and have a promotion and you havent signed anything with [snip] then call [snip] and say your situation has changed and you won't be taking the position.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM

187 posts, read 128,423 times
But you don't know any information about the other job so..I'd stay put and ask boss why the 9 months?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:55 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
This is easy.

Take it from someone who's been passed over for promotions year after year, job after job. As the years go by, doing the same jobin the same position over and over again feels like absolute stinking crap! You have a path. You have a concrete offer on the table from your CURRENT job about a promotion and salary increase.

Don't go to [snip]. [snip] restarts your promotion clock, if even there is one over there... and you'll be waiting for at least a few years before, if, anything materializes on that end.

Stay where you are, take the promotion, stick it out for at least 2 years then you've got management experience under your belt which you can pretty much take anywhere else. This is your shot, don't blow it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment