Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

It's a valid complaint & so is the opposite. I'm interviewing now. I've had 3-6 interviews for each job I've interviewed for & have been ghosted the vast majority of times, even when I've followed up with a "status update" email. < Insert crickets chirping > Only 1-2 sent a cold email, devoid of any warmth expressed during interviews, saying they're going another way.

In fact, I was supposed to drive out of state last wk for a face-to-face interview, after a scheduled phone interview. It was scheduled days in advance. She stood me up for the phone interview (have had that happen at least 5 other times, 3 times recently) & I'm stunned they didn't show the basic professionalism or courtesy by sending an email to say they're cancelling.

It's really disheartening to do 6 interviews, then < Insert crickets chirping >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:54 PM

219 posts, read 157,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
To me, it's going to boil down to a company and individuals reputations.

If a company has a rep for not treating employees well on the matter, word gets around. What comes around goes around.

Same is true for a 27yo employee "ghosting" and potentially hosing their co-workers in the process as well as the company.

A lot of younger people, especially urban are used to some degree of anonymity. As you get older, especially if you stay in the same field and geographic area that anonymity fades and can be either a boon or bust to future employment.

Steve ghosts at 27 from A company and 10 years later is applying at B company who looks at his resume and goes, "Hey sally, do you remember Steve from A company? You worked there at the same time".
This^^^^. I don't work in an office environment, but it's become more common in the industry in which I work that new hires either don't show up for their first day of work or, rather than telling their employer that things aren't working out for them and at least finish out the pay period, abruptly cease showing up for work.

This boggles my mind--especially as word does get around. There are more than a few times that I've gotten reference calls about people like this. If a former employee has done quality work, had a willingness to learn, played well with others, and left on good terms I generally give stellar reviews "off the record." For those who "ghost" or were simply unreliable employees, a "name, rank and serial number" type reference is given unless they outright lied about their position and work duties. The latter happens more often than it should and I will not lie for them.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
An old employer treating me poorly does not give me justification to treat other people poorly.
On this forum I have seen many employees and job seekers who seem broken down and/or bitter about the modern job market and also a number of employers/managers/recruiters who seem to be part of the reason why they feel that way. We get it, the business exists for the benefit of the owners and shareholders, not the employees. That is a true statement. However, when you(meaning the employer) seem to have forgotten you are dealing with actual people and not just "human capital" it's tough to feel too bad when some of these cogs and numbers start treating you with no more courtesy and consideration than you showed them when you had the upper hand.

You're right it's probably not a smart or moral idea to treat an employer in that manner but let's not pretend for a moment that many of them don't have it coming.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 06-26-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
On this forum I have seen many employees and job seekers who seem broken down and/or bitter about the modern job market and also a number of employers/managers/recruiters who seem to be part of the reason why they feel that way. We get it, the business exists for the benefit of the owners and shareholders, not the employees. That is a true statement. However, when you(meaning the employer) seem to have forgotten you are dealing with actual people and not just "human capital" it's tough to feel too bad when some of these cogs and numbers start treating you with no more courtesy and consideration than you showed them when you had the upper hand.

You're right it's probably not a smart or moral idea to treat an employer in that manner but let's not pretend for a moment that many of them don't have it coming.
I see a lot of people put all their energy into venting, and hating companies, where if they put that effort into learning how to look better in the job market, they would be a lot better off.

I understand a lot of people are on this forum just to vent. That being said, venting and complaining about companies or the job market doesn't help you find your next job.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
This^^^^. I don't work in an office environment, but it's become more common in the industry in which I work that new hires either don't show up for their first day of work or, rather than telling their employer that things aren't working out for them and at least finish out the pay period, abruptly cease showing up for work.

This boggles my mind--especially as word does get around. There are more than a few times that I've gotten reference calls about people like this. If a former employee has done quality work, had a willingness to learn, played well with others, and left on good terms I generally give stellar reviews "off the record." For those who "ghost" or were simply unreliable employees, a "name, rank and serial number" type reference is given unless they outright lied about their position and work duties. The latter happens more often than it should and I will not lie for them.

Is a 2 way street. Glassdoor employer reviews are employees way to snitch on employers who treat folks badly.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I see a lot of people put all their energy into venting, and hating companies, where if they put that effort into learning how to look better in the job market, they would be a lot better off.
I'd venture to guess the vast majority are probably doing both.

Quote:
I understand a lot of people are on this forum just to vent. That being said, venting and complaining about companies or the job market doesn't help you find your next job.
I don't think many think it will find them a job. And, there are those who are just angry. But, venting a bit does help a bit, as I've come here to express an issue or quandary in the job market & have to express why I need help in order to attempt to find a solution.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'd venture to guess the vast majority are probably doing both.

I don't think many think it will find them a job. And, there are those who are just angry. But, venting a bit does help a bit, as I've come here to express an issue or quandary in the job market & have to express why I need help in order to attempt to find a solution.
Venting often turns into an echo chamber of people reinforcing negative views that aren't helpful, and that's not good.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Employers had better adapt to the employee's market, as it will likely not end anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Venting often turns into an echo chamber of people reinforcing negative views that aren't helpful, and that's not good.
Yes, very true, I agree. I guess I'm coming from the standpoint of mild to bitter on the venting scale. Maybe I shouldn't use the word venting then, but constructive complaining.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Employers had better adapt to the employee's market, as it will likely not end anytime soon.
Depends on the market. Not in my local area for professional jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment