Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:30 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,447,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
All these responses should be helpful; in order for her to respond favorably she should have an idea of why the question is being asked - you clearly have no idea.

Were you on the OP's interview panel? Because I don't see how anyone here knows for certain why the question was asked...unless they were a part of the hiring panel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 03:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Were you on the OP's interview panel? Because I don't see how anyone here knows for certain why the question was asked...unless they were a part of the hiring panel.
You are correct - I don't know for sure. I also know how hiring decisions are made and why certain areas are explored. I have hired countless employees over the decades.

You wanted to ask why they care; speaking from experience, albeit not the OP's specific experience, I offered a possible, highly plausible opinion. Feel free to deny it all if it works for you.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:18 PM

7,960 posts, read 4,952,534 times
Maybe someone doesn’t have the high level connections TO get opportunities at their own company? It could be a number of reasons. Promotions are primarily based on who you know today and the type of after hour beer buddies you are with corporate managers. not how valuable you are

Also Many companies are hiring primarily externally now as well. There’s limited opportunities internally once you get in

It’s all up to the hiring managers these days anyways. There isn’t much power in the hands of the person looking for “more opportunities”

Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 PM

12,708 posts, read 8,929,449 times
A very simple answer that is often true is there is a policy of hiring senior managers from outside. So there is no path upward for most internal hires. Our senior director position has become a revolving door of outside candidates who come for a year or two and move on.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Maybe someone doesn’t have the high level connections TO get opportunities at their own company? It could be a number of reasons. Promotions are primarily based on who you know today and the type of after hour beer buddies you are with corporate managers. not how valuable you are

Also Many companies are hiring primarily externally now as well. There’s limited opportunities internally once you get in

It’s all up to the hiring managers these days anyways. There isn’t much power in the hands of the person looking for “more opportunities”
That all may be your opinion; can you support it in any way? At what level do you expect that capability outweighs your beer buddy theory?

Old 06-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
At what level do you expect that capability outweighs your beer buddy theory?

I think it's a pretty universal concept that the higher you climb the ladder, politics becomes more important than anything else. It's why the Weinsteins of the world are allowed to flourish for so long...until they aren't (aka become political liabilities for their employers).

Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
That's none of their business. They should be concerned with whether my skills are a match for the position they're trying to fill. Why aren't they working at my current company to know for themselves? If there's a dubious reason for my departure, I certainly won't tell you. The question is a waste of time and certainly would be (and has been) a red flag for me as a candidate. I wouldn't be jumping to work for any company focused on my past.
It's always their business. If someone stagnated somewhere, it's a yellow flag.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM

5,887 posts, read 3,879,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A very simple answer that is often true is there is a policy of hiring senior managers from outside. So there is no path upward for most internal hires. Our senior director position has become a revolving door of outside candidates who come for a year or two and move on.
Good point; I've seen this before. When I was in college, I worked for a large national retail outlet. In the event a manager departed, the company filled that role from the outside. We had quite a few quality sales associates who would have loved to advance into a management role with the company. At a smaller mom and pop shop, I'm sure they probably would have been able to. Sometimes there isn't a path for advancement unless its out the door, no matter how fantastic you are.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I think it's a pretty universal concept that the higher you climb the ladder, politics becomes more important than anything else. It's why the Weinsteins of the world are allowed to flourish for so long...until they aren't (aka become political liabilities for their employers).
On what do you base all your negativity and "universal concept(s)?"

Old 06-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's always their business. If someone stagnated somewhere, it's a yellow flag.

Is it? Because I stagnated (more like was railroaded, but let's stay on topic ) someplace solely due to systemic discrimination. So there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment