Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
There is no catch 22.
That is false and out of touch with reality.

Recent grads who have no experience get rejected for not having experience. Career changers have their previous experience disregarded and not valued and are treated as if they have no experience.

So, I ask you again, how do you expect people to get around the catch-22 of "no job, no experience; no experience, no job."

Denying the catch-22 is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You sound exactly like the type of boss I never want to work for again. I could hit every quality on an employer's "wish lish", and some jerk can decide they didn't like the shoes I wore to the interview, and I won't get the job. It's that simple. I'm not a mindreader, and I'm not going to stress myself out trying to guess what will make this stranger interviewing me choose me for the job. Are you reading what you're typing? LOL. I don't have time for these games. I'll find an employer who is about the business of choosing the best candidate--not the one looking for whatever fool is willing to do whatever it takes to get the position. That's what people with low self worth do.
Why do you think the best candidate isn't one who considers what other people think of them?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Lekrri, we're not going down this rabbit hole. What I think doesn't matter.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
That is false and out of touch with reality.

Recent grads who have no experience get rejected for not having experience. Career changers have their previous experience disregarded and not valued and are treated as if they have no experience.

So, I ask you again, how do you expect people to get around the catch-22 of "no job, no experience; no experience, no job."

Denying the catch-22 is not an option.
That you don't like my answer does not mean it is not an option.

What did the people do who were actually hired? The point here is for people to think about that question, and not make excuses.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
What did the people do who were actually hired?
Who are you talking about?

Those who got jobs in the past when entry level jobs existed that required no experience?

Those who managed to luck out and find employers who gave them a chance without experience?

Besides those, how did everyone else get the jobs? Answer that.

I bet you don't have the answer. So just admit you don't have the answer and stop looking down on people who haven't found the answer either.

You got lucky and expect everyone to be lucky.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Who are you talking about?

Those who got jobs in the past when entry level jobs existed that required no experience?

Those who managed to luck out and find employers who gave them a chance without experience?

Besides those, how did everyone else get the jobs? Answer that.

I bet you don't have the answer. So just admit you don't have the answer and stop looking down on people who haven't found the answer either.

You got lucky and expect everyone to be lucky.
I have an answer, you don't need to answer for me.

Most worked harder. They deserved it more. They knew the job better, knew what the company's needs were better, and could better prove they deserved the job.

I'm not looking down on anyone. I'm harder on myself than I am on anyone else. Admitting I have more to learn and admitting I didn't get a job because I failed is the best way I can improve.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-26-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
I'm a realist, dear. You can call it "negativity" if it makes you feel better.
So, no answer? Where did your "universal concepts" come from again?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't see anything negative about his opinion.
So are you also a believer in the "universal concepts" that employers are out to eliminate their workforce?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Is it? Because I stagnated (more like was railroaded, but let's stay on topic ) someplace solely due to systemic discrimination. So there's that.
Well, of course you were "railroaded," the alternative would be to acknowledge that your performance was not what the company wanted. I suspect that Bob, Dorian and maybe Priscilla all had the same experience.

Why do all these employers continue a process to select, hire, train and give experience to those that they are only going to blow out for no reason at all?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:33 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
That you don't like my answer does not mean it is not an option.

What did the people do who were actually hired? The point here is for people to think about that question, and not make excuses.

Here's one I've experienced. A job came open that I would love to do. Right up my ally. One of those perfect fit kind of things in a field where there is maybe one job open every couple of years. I interviewed and it went exceptionally well. Interviewer wanted to make an offer but had to go through his boss. Couple weeks go by and he calls to tell me I didn't get the job. So even though I was wondering why, I did all the normal thankyou and so forth. Then he said "Ok, here's the truth. You were the best candidate but the boss already had someone in mind; we just went through the motions to meet the requirement for holding an interview." Then he apologized for wasting my time.

So what did I fail at here? Nothing. What did the person who got the job do? He knew the boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment