Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM

348 posts, read 459,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Why is it sad?

I have a moral and national obligation to care for my fellow citizen? Why should I care about some middle class person in India, Singapore, or Kuwait?

I'm Indian american and would like to see a severe reduction in these dual intent immigration programs. We should instead focus on giving the "elites" immediate pathways to citizenship. That way, they will assimilate and their kids will become americans.

I'm Indian American work as a machine learning engineer. I'm not worried about Indians or other immigrant taking my job. Instead, I realize that I have a MORAL and NATIONAL obligation to help and support my fellow citizens. I DO NOT have those same obligations towards people in India, Singapore, or any other country.
Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 4,180,855 times
This is a few years old but explains the predominance of Asians in the tech industry
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...reign-students

https://www.asianscientist.com/2013/...-degrees-2013/

Here is the problem, there are not enough American students interested in pursuing engineering degrees,not enough American students who can support the engineering departments and research. So Universities recruit foreign students and businesses recruit from these universities, so its hardly surprising the vast majority of engineers are from other countries. They are not hired cheaper than American engineers, there just isn’t enough American engineers.

Wife and mother of engineers

Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,065,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Why is it sad?

I have a moral and national obligation to care for my fellow citizen? Why should I care about some middle class person in India, Singapore, or Kuwait?

I'm Indian american and would like to see a severe reduction in these dual intent immigration programs. We should instead focus on giving the "elites" immediate pathways to citizenship. That way, they will assimilate and their kids will become americans.

I'm Indian American work as a machine learning engineer. I'm not worried about Indians or other immigrant taking my job. Instead, I realize that I have a MORAL and NATIONAL obligation to help and support my fellow citizens. I DO NOT have those same obligations towards people in India, Singapore, or any other country.
Your only obligation is to worry about yourself and your family. That's the American way. Why don't you let everyone else worry about themselves? I want your help like I want a colonoscopy.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,636,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Your only obligation is to worry about yourself and your family. That's the American way. Why don't you let everyone else worry about themselves? I want your help like I want a colonoscopy.

So I should ignore the opioid crisis and just say who cares...people can kill themselves if they want.

I'd say that is immoral.

As a citizen, most of us love America and want to see this country do well. Thus, we will continue to push and advocate for policies that help Americans.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:35 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,539,356 times
Historically immigrants from every nation at every skill level are very success focused, those with get-up-and-go got-up-and-went from their natal nation.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:39 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,585,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Doesnt always work that way . I work with big oil cos and they are always finding ways to cut costs - offhsoring first preference and layoffs last. Either way American citizens get the boot. Its partly greed and majority incompetence from management.

The great companies IBM, Accenture, Cognizant etc?? they have more tech workers in India than US. If you have some BS in STEM and can do some Java or .NET coding, remember the above companies have 100 Indians ready to do your job. How do you think the Tatas and INfosys go from 1mn revenue in 90's to 10bn now??? And that is with average folks. An IIT or IIM treats this job like crap and wouldnt even accept a position here.

You need to choose your thing wisely. Find out those skills which align with the core businesses of companies and then get on it.
Considering how fast technology changes, hoping to get the "right" skills for the right job so that employers don't have to train anymore for their exact skillset requirement that they won't budge from seems to almost require a Bachelors in Divination these days. Even if you study for those skills while in high school and into college, they could be obsolete and out of demand by the time you graduate.

I focused more on Java (mainly because that's what more of the coursework required) in college than web, though I did study both. Had I known ahead of time that the local job that was web based but seemed to rarely be hiring would suddenly have an opening (they are a small company and could possibly go YEARS without hiring), I would have focused more on HTML/PHP skills after graduation on my own and not bother with Java. But I did not know that, so I ended up falling short on the skills test. (It didn't help that my dog had died around the time of the interview/test either. I had that dog since 1999 and she died in 2016.)

Old 06-28-2018, 05:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,217,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If it were possible to hire foreign workers who were equivalent to American workers in terms of education/skills/experience at 1/3 the cost, no Americans would ever be hired. Everyone would hire 100% foreign workers.
You are right!

Quote:
But that's clearly not happening.
False!

It is happening in Silicon Valley where 75% of techies are H1B/L1/OPT visa holders and those who transitioned from those visas.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...e-report-says/

Silicon Valley gets the bulk of H1B visas. It is a good thing there is a limit of 85,000 H1B visas, otherwise, we'd see no US workers working in tech.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:46 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,217,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Here is the problem, there are not enough American students interested in pursuing engineering degrees,not enough American students who can support the engineering departments and research.
False.

Employers whine loudly about the STEM shortage. Americans have answered the call in droves.

We graduate 2-3 times the number of STEM students than available jobs for them.
http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/411...an_Science.pdf

As a result, 75% of STEM degree holders are working outside of STEM. That's 11 million people.
Another Look at the STEM

So yes, there are more than enough American students interested in pursuing STEM. They are not rewarded with jobs when they do.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM

10,655 posts, read 5,631,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You are right!

False!

It is happening in Silicon Valley where 75% of techies are H1B/L1/OPT visa holders and those who transitioned from those visas.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...e-report-says/

Silicon Valley gets the bulk of H1B visas. It is a good thing there is a limit of 85,000 H1B visas, otherwise, we'd see no US workers working in tech.
Your linked article doesn’t say that. Why make stuff up?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 PM

10,655 posts, read 5,631,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
False.

Employers whine loudly about the STEM shortage. Americans have answered the call in droves.

We graduate 2-3 times the number of STEM students than available jobs for them.
http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/411...an_Science.pdf

As a result, 75% of STEM degree holders are working outside of STEM. That's 11 million people.
Another Look at the STEM

So yes, there are more than enough American students interested in pursuing STEM. They are not rewarded with jobs when they do.
Apparently, they aren’t good enough to get those coveted jobs. Hits a little close to home, doesn’t it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment