Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,132,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I don't know your background, but it's privilege to be able to leave the workforce for years to pursue a degree that won't help you in your career. Most people I know cannot afford to pursue something that won't have any tangible benefit at the end. But I am a member of a minority group. There are plenty of non-minorities who can afford such pursuits, but why aren't they? I don't believe it's because these universities cannot find capable Americans. For whatever reasons, it's just more beneficial for them to give the opportunities to immigrants and convince people "there are no qualified Americans." That doesn't even make logical sense. PhD programs only pick a handful of applicants. How many people live in this country? And you can't find any qualified Americans for your program?? LOL
Not sure where you are getting that completing a PhD doesn't help you in your career. I know many people that have received huge jumps in pay when compared to someone with 4 years of experience and a BA/BS in the same area of study.

I agree with you in the fact that I don't think Americans want to pursue a PhD in general, but that's because it's hard and takes a lot of time. I think most Americans want to do as little schooling as possible to get a 6 figure job. On the other hand many foreign born people actually enjoy learning, which obviously is important when you are completing a PhD and most of whether you fail or succeed is on you and your drive to master a specific area of study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 02:42 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,182,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You need facts. Where is your data that can support your supposition? Without it, there is no use talking about it. Most racists think there are "many" people of a minority where they live, work, shop, park their cars, etc. than in actuality. In one company where I worked they started promoting people of color, they took a survey and the white people estimated that upper management was 50% people of color, when in reality it was about 5%. By the way, people who racist always claim they are not.
Someone jumped to the end of a thread and avoided reading the facts presented in this thread.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Not sure where you are getting that completing a PhD doesn't help you in your career.
I think you need to read this blog.
https://100rsns.blogspot.com/p/compl...t-to-date.html

Quote:
I know many people that have received huge jumps in pay when compared to someone with 4 years of experience and a BA/BS in the same area of study.
Where? What areas of study?

Your statement is not true for the overwhelming vast majority of PhD's.

Quote:
I agree with you in the fact that I don't think Americans want to pursue a PhD in general, but that's because it's hard and takes a lot of time.
It is not a fact, it is a stereotype.

The fact is that we graduate more PhD's than there are jobs available for them.
https://100rsns.blogspot.com/2011/04...many-phds.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts
In November 2010, the National Science Foundation reported that 49,562 people earned doctorates in the United States in 2009.
Americans don't mind doing what is hard and a lot of time, if there is a reward for them. When many don't get a job, who's fault is that? Oh wait, your stereotype has no room for that fact.

Quote:
On the other hand many foreign born people actually enjoy learning, which obviously is important when you are completing a PhD and most of whether you fail or succeed is on you and your drive to master a specific area of study.
More stereotypes instead of facts.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I think you need to read this blog.
https://100rsns.blogspot.com/p/compl...t-to-date.html

Where? What areas of study?

Your statement is not true for the overwhelming vast majority of PhD's.

It is not a fact, it is a stereotype.

The fact is that we graduate more PhD's than there are jobs available for them.
https://100rsns.blogspot.com/2011/04...many-phds.html

Americans don't mind doing what is hard and a lot of time, if there is a reward for them. When many don't get a job, who's fault is that? Oh wait, your stereotype has no room for that fact.

More stereotypes instead of facts.
Your evidence is a blog with a list of reasons not to go to grad school?

Here are a few areas of study with a lot of PhDs in industry.

- Computer Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Physics
- Economics
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology

I got a PhD and I'm a white male and I'm doing just fine. Everyone in my field that I know with a PhD is employed and in demand. Not all PhD degrees are created equal. I think someone with a PhD in Economics is going to have a much easier time finding work than someone with a PhD in Roman Literature. Similarly not all PhDs are created equal. Many people earning doctorates are earning them from schools like Capella University and University of Phoenix. Most high quality PhD programs aren't graduating more than 3-4/ people per year tops. Diploma mills on the other hand sometimes crank out 20-30 per year.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:17 PM

1,183 posts, read 698,393 times
Quote:

- Computer Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Physics
- Economics
- Industrial Engineering

I got a PhD and I'm a white male and I'm doing just fine. Everyone in my field that I know with a PhD is employed and in demand. Not all PhD degrees are created equal. I think someone with a PhD in Economics is going to have a much easier time finding work than someone with a PhD in Roman Literature. Similarly not all PhDs are created equal. Many people earning doctorates are earning them from schools like Capella University and University of Phoenix. Most high quality PhD programs aren't graduating more than 3-4/ people per year tops. Diploma mills on the other hand sometimes crank out 20-30 per year.
Yes there's PhDs and there's PhDs. No one in hiring confuses a PhD in math or hard sciences from a top 20 or 40 institution with a PhD in hotel management or something from Quahog college of knowledge.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,575,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You need facts. Where is your data that can support your supposition? Without it, there is no use talking about it. Most racists think there are "many" people of a minority where they live, work, shop, park their cars, etc. than in actuality. In one company where I worked they started promoting people of color, they took a survey and the white people estimated that upper management was 50% people of color, when in reality it was about 5%. By the way, people who racist always claim they are not.
The stories of H-1B visa abuse are FACT. I talked with a guy from India that said he would LIKE to come here via a green card but the green card backlog is about 70 years or more and that the system is rigged in favor of H-1Bs and the body shops and the crooked American corporations. He said that H-1B visas are indeed little better than indentured servitude.

I have no doubt that there are talented people from other countries. What I'm asking is why do they have to come on a visa that binds them to an employer rather than as more of a free agent via a green card or something?

I also have seen college professors, legally, here with PHDs that are from foreign countries. I get that. What I don't get is why colleges are pushing for H-1Bs instead of green cards to get their "talented Masters and PHDs" with H-1B visas that would bind them to that college. Could be a clever way to replace American or even legal immigrant professors with adjunct professors who get lesser pay and benefits.

While the teachers unions might actually prove useful here in fighting for their workers against this happening in public universities, private schools aren't so lucky.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,629,825 times
Quote:

- Computer Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Physics
- Economics
- Industrial Engineering

LOL at Psychology!

I would have taken your post seriously if it hadn't been for that.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:50 PM

348 posts, read 455,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
LOL at Psychology!

I/O Psychology is different. Look into it before you laugh.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
LOL at Psychology!

That's what my PhD is in. Over 1/2 of those grads go into industry. Not sure why you're laughing. I wasn't comparing the quality, just saying that those degrees have large proportions of people in industry. I took several courses with the Industrial Engineering PhDs, so make sure you laugh at that too.

Here's the BLS for all I/Os (which includes Masters and PhDs): https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm

According to their professional society the median pay for PhDs in the field as of 2015 was $118k (page 8). http://www.siop.org/tip/jan17/Report.pdf

Old 07-02-2018, 04:13 PM

We created about 200K tech jobs and that was an "on fire" year.
https://businessfacilities.com/2018/...000-jobs-2017/

From this number, subtract 65K H1-B visas.
Then subtract L1 visas (no limit to them) - 165K were issued.
https://cis.org/Huennekens/L1-Petiti...Past-Two-Years
Then subtract from that the number of OPT visas (no limit) 147K.
https://www.dreducation.com/2017/01/...-students.html

What's left is a negative number. That explains the layoffs of US Workers and forcing them to train their replacements. That explains employers rejecting US Citizens people for being "overqualified" That is one explanation of the high numbers of US people who can't make a career change or get the entry level jobs.

We don't have capitalism in the USA, we have crony capitalism, and this is proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment