Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM

1,071 posts, read 617,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Software QA is a dead end - manual jobs are disappearing and employers want automation. That's understandable, but there's no way for someone to learn an automation tool and then transition into a manual/automated or automated role - employers only hire those with automation experience. They don't train and they don't hire manual QA's with automation training but no work experience in automation.

Knock on wood. Random chance was kind to you.
At the company I work for we’ve given all manual QAs the opportunity to learn automation. The ones that have are still with the company and the ones that haven’t are no longer employed here. I was a QA before I moved to management, and am still here. To do the automation required us to hire Software Engineers in Test and we never offshored any of the SET roles.. We do have one offshore group that does regression testing (automation). Offshore is good for certain things (regression)... at least from what I’ve seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,196,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
At the company I work for we’ve given all manual QAs the opportunity to learn automation.
Well, your company is not like the rest, it is an oasis in the desert of madness out there.

What's the name of your company, and location? Maybe people who are reading this thread can get some hope in the bad job market.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:55 PM

348 posts, read 456,701 times
Quote:
Well, your company is not like the rest, it is an oasis in the desert of madness out there.

What's the name of your company, and location? Maybe people who are reading this thread can get some hope in the bad job market.
It's always an oasis in the desert, once your theory doesn't hold true. Ok.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
It's always an oasis in the desert, once your theory doesn't hold true. Ok.
My theory holds true. Companies still hire manual QA's but that number is dropping. It is a dead end field with no way up for the overwhelming vast majority of manual QA's - even those who learned automation.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,440,284 times
Quote:
Let's not judge people by skin color and sex.

I'm a white male and the world is definitely NOT my oyster. I'm not as lucky as those who look down on me and vehemently disagree with my bringing them facts that refute their "rainbows and unicorns job market" narrative.
Sorry it's not working for you at the moment. I didn't invent the statistics or the rules. It is what it is.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Sorry it's not working for you at the moment. I didn't invent the statistics or the rules. It is what it is.
You mean there's a rule that says white males are supposed to get some kind of secret decoder ring and all of a sudden they can get any job they want?

If yes, I'd like to see the citation, and I'd like to have one of those decoder rings.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Not going down this path. Men lie; women lie. Numbers don't.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not going down this path. Men lie; women lie. Numbers don't.
So now you're changing your tune, and there is no rule that white males get this nice secret decoder ring and can get any job they want?

I was so looking to getting that decoder ring

Old 07-02-2018, 06:09 PM

I'm not going to engage you in this conversation because it will get me nowhere. The statistics are publicly available, and we are all free to believe what we want. 'Tis one of the great things about America. Now back to those H1B's...

Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 PM

1,071 posts, read 617,240 times
Quote:
My theory holds true. Companies still hire manual QA's but that number is dropping. It is a dead end field with no way up for the overwhelming vast majority of manual QA's - even those who learned automation.
I work for the Cox family of companies in Atlanta. If you know Java, Java Script or CSS there is a lot of room at Cox Auto. Good company..

If you learned automation you can move into a role where you are developing new features, so I would disagree that there is a cap.

Last edited by SeminoleTom; 07-02-2018 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment