Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:53 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Are you talking about Workman's Comp or disability?

WC is required but AFAIK disability is a benefit that is not required to be offered. In this context disability can be non work related or not eligible for WC.
I believe some states mandate both, some is employee paid btw..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 03:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I just got off of the phone with my union. If a member terminates membership, the union will cancel their life insurance, their disability insurance and the union will refuse to represent them in disciplinary hearings.
All things they never voluntarily signed up for in the first place.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:55 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
All things they never voluntarily signed up for in the first place.
You just made the mistaken assumption that you know something about my union without knowing which union that is.

[SIZE=2]After rereading the first amendment in the Bill of Rights and portions of the majority opinion, I've concluded that the Supreme Court is more interested in interfering with the first amendment rights of the public service unions than the individual free speech rights of Mark Janus.[/SIZE]

Old 07-03-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
You just made the mistaken assumption that you know something about my union without knowing which union that is.

[SIZE=2]After rereading the first amendment in the Bill of Rights and portions of the majority opinion, I've concluded that the Supreme Court is more interested in interfering with the first amendment rights of the public service unions than the individual free speech rights of Mark Janus.[/SIZE]
Surely, if unions offer a good product, they can do so w/o extorting money from those who opt not to join, and, in doing so, exercise their 1st Amendment rights.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:21 AM

Some of you have had bad unions experiences. I sympathize with you because generally they are the best protection against a management that has turned hostile and individual managers that are just bullies.

Then there are some who hate unions because they go to training courses sponsored by their companies. They believe most of what they are taught and go through life without believing that there are two sides to everything. I don't remember any history courses back in college that concentrated on labor history. Anything that I have learned about the labor movement is self taught. A hundred years ago people died fighting for for the eight hour day. Now we have Sean Hannity boldly saying that the eight hour day is a thing of the past. A hundred years ago management would hire agitators to turn a strike violent so that they could have the Governor call out the National Guard. The National Guard would shoot into the crowd of strikers and people died for better wages.

Fortunately all of the propaganda in the world will never crush the union spirit, and I thank all of you who still believe.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:

No I didn't. Until this case, anyone taking a job at a unionized company was forced into the union without being given a choice. If your union is as good as you say, what's the risk in giving people a choice? Wouldn't they voluntarily choose to join the union if what you say is true?

I'll wait patiently for you to explain the logic behind your second sentence.

The eight hour day is not a thing of the past. We work less hours per week now than ever before in the history of the US.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No I didn't. Until this case, anyone taking a job at a unionized company was forced into the union without being given a choice. If your union is as good as you say, what's the risk in giving people a choice? Wouldn't they voluntarily choose to join the union if what you say is true?

I'll wait patiently for you to explain the logic behind your second sentence.

The eight hour day is not a thing of the past. We work less hours per week now than ever before in the history of the US.
Don't hold your breath waiting.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Don't hold your breath waiting.
Understood. I'll ignore what was said without reason or explanation offered then.

I will repeat my question, though: If a union is as good as people say, what's the risk in giving people a choice to join or not join?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 AM

In short, union people do not believe Janus should not continue to be extorted.

Fortunately in a nation of laws, the SC ruling is all that matters.

Get used to getting by on far less, union leaders.

Freedom has reigned today in public sector, tomorrow in private sector, regarding your extorted union dues.

Choice has reigned supreme.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Employer by law must pick up disability in such cases, as having it on all is required of them.
I don't think so, unless you are talking about work related injuries or illness. All states have laws requiring the employer to carry workers comp insurance or to self fund, it's not a union function https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/li...ers-links.html

Five states provide short term disability insurance usually 6-12 months of coverage for illness or injury not covered by workers comp. https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...-term-disabili And as far as i know no states require employers to provide long or short term disability insurance for non work related accident or injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment