Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I had a very lengthy conversation with a young woman today. I'll try to summarize it the best that I can. I needed to change a few details (but kept the main idea) so that no one can figure out her company as she is worried about the repercussions if she "tells others" and her boss finds out.

The employee parking lot is quite some distance from the building and it is located in a bad neighborhood. For many years female employees were encouraged by the head boss to walk to the parking lot in pairs, either with a fellow employee or even with another female customer or woman from the neighborhood (strangers or acquaintances) who was leaving the building at the same time. While there were a few problems over the years nothing major ever happened, most people believe that was because the woman employees were very safety conscious (walked in pairs, observed their environment, parked under lights, looked out for each other, etc.)

A few months ago a new female boss took over and really downplayed (actually scoffed at) the safety precautions of the previous male boss. The new boss strongly discouraged female employees from walking to the parking lot in pairs and did all that she could do to hinder that (for example, a security guard could not walk them to their cars any more if they asked him to do that and they were not allowed to "walk with" female customers or women from the neighborhood to their transportation, etc). Ironically, the bosses themselves never used that parking lot but parked their cars right outside the building so they never had to experience the potential danger first hand.

Since the new boss has taken over there has been a dramatic increase in robberies and both minor and major sexual assaults on female employees in that parking lot. But, female employees are very hesitant of reporting those crimes and complaining to the company. One woman was fired when the big boss discovered that she had asked a woman from the neighborhood (an acquaintance) to walk with her through the parking lot. And, other employees are frightened to speak up for fear of losing their jobs, too.

My friend said that many of the women are worried that the robberies/sexual harassment/sexual assaults will get worst as more and more of the men in the neighborhood realize that the women are now forced to walk alone to their transportation. Of course, most of the men in the area are perfectly normal/harmless but there are always a few bad guys out there.

I really had no idea what to tell my friend. She has always been very safety conscious but this new boss almost seems like she is totally oblivious to the increase in crime since she changed the policy. Many of the employees, both men and women, were privately very horrified when she fired a woman who felt that she was just trying to protect her safety and are now afraid to speak up. My friend suspects that her co-workers are even afraid to report the robberies and assaults to the police for fear of losing their jobs.

Are there any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:01 PM

60 posts, read 104,548 times
These assaults and robberies are happening in a parking lot owned/leased by the employer for their employees to park in? That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen or at the very least, a newspaper or local news station story... The employees need to speak up- both to corporate, if there is a main office, and to the local cops. If the crimes aren't reported, then nothing can be done to get the creep(s) off the street, as they are also likely to harm others that don't work there if they aren't caught. It's not like guys that commit assaults just stop- they can tend to get bolder as time goes on. Most employers, especially direct superiors/location directors tend to be overly protective of their employees in those types of situations as they don't want to be/feel responsible, even when they may look the other way for other safety issues for other things...

Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner7 View Post
These assaults and robberies are happening in a parking lot owned/leased by the employer for their employees to park in? That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen or at the very least, a newspaper or local news station story... The employees need to speak up- both to corporate, if there is a main office, and to the local cops. If the crimes aren't reported, then nothing can be done to get the creep(s) off the street, as they are also likely to harm others that don't work there if they aren't caught. It's not like guys that commit assaults just stop- they can tend to get bolder as time goes on. Most employers, especially direct superiors/location directors tend to be overly protective of their employees in those types of situations as they don't want to be/feel responsible, even when they may look the other way for other safety issues for other things...
Thanks. Sadly the parking area is not owned/leased by the employer.

The biggest concern of the female employees (after being sexual assaulted) is that they will be fired for "speaking up" they have seen it happen to others and it is a real problem. This is a great job in an area with few great jobs so everyone feels trapped.

From what I have been told the new boss is completely oblivious to any of the dangers and appears to care for her image, and ruling with an iron fist, more than the safety of her employees.

I agree that I also suspect the crime rate will increase once the bad guys realize that the policies have changed and women are afraid to report crimes and lose their jobs.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-27-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
This situation is screaming loudly for a class action lawsuit. Management is purposely putting their people in danger and they need to be held accountable, and that will never happen until the CEO's bonus check is drained some with a nice juicy settlement.

I'd also recommend that your friend get a concealed carry permit and carry a gun. Something small, like a Glock 42 or 43 should do.

https://us.glock.com/index.php/products/model/g42
https://us.glock.com/index.php/products/model/g43

First, check your company's policy about weapons on premises. I'm doubting that they are OK with this, since they clearly do not care one iota about the safety of their employees and basically let the thugs and criminals do anything they want.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
These are crimes. Forget company policy. Call the police.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That is what I told my friend, too, as that is the obvious thing to do, but because of the unusual situation of the employer it could get them fired.

This is NOT the organization, but imagine if you worked for a very, very strict religious organization and you knew that if you reported a sexual assault you would be blamed and could be immediately fired for misconduct/breaking company policy. You would be pretty hesitant about calling the police to report that crime and likely losing your job.

These are all good responses and they are helping me to better "think outside the box" on ways to help my friend and the other employees.

Thank you.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Look into a Whistle blower attorney there has got to be some desperate lawyer chomping at the bit to get a case like this. It may be difficult due to it being a female manager but that shouldn't stop them from being able to get an undercover OSHA or PI to gather official evidence.

The key is to let the manager hang themselves and get hard evidence from a neutral 3rd party which will be undeniable in court of law.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Companies don't care about criminality because there are multiple ways they can avoid liability in that sense. You've got to hit their pockets with civil judgements to get their attention.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I guess the biggest problem is that everyone is more afraid of being fired and losing that great job (and of all the follow-up repercussions in their work history) then they are about the potential crimes and safety issues.

It is really hard for me to imagine a situation like that because, while I have had bad bosses, I have never felt completely trapped and helpless in a work situation (as these employees feel).

Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I guess the biggest problem is that everyone is more afraid of being fired and losing that great job (and of all the follow-up repercussions in their work history) then they are about the potential crimes and safety issues.

It is really hard for me to imagine a situation like that because, while I have had bad bosses, I have never felt completely trapped and helpless in a work situation (as these employees feel).
Unless this company is the only company in the metropolitan area, there are other companies who are hiring. Do a stealth job search - don't tell anyone at work that you're looking. And tell recruiters not to contact your current company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment