Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 PM

812 posts, read 736,645 times

Advertisements

Just to settle some debate I see here. I work for one of the nation's larger health insurers, and can verify that if you have insurance through this company and submit a claim, there is a good chance that it will be worked by somebody in Mumbai, Bangalore, or Manila. I've actually traveled to Bangalore and worked with these contractors first hand. Very kind people, don't get me wrong, but after the experience, I personally don't feel it is anywhere near as secure as onshore processing. Just my two cents, but it definitely happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've known healthcare companies to outsource, but not offshore. They will only outsource the work to an Indian company, but they'll still hire American employees and still operate in the USA. I've seen a big healthcare company take out a contract with a Indian based service company. But that company still hired onshore anyway. What they would often do is subcontract out the employees. I've never, and I mean NEVER heard of a healthcare company offshore healthcare. This would require a lot of mandatory certifications and approvals, and that would jack up the cost of getting with one of these foreign services companies. The only thing I can think of is that they may have some sort of call center setup offshore, and perhaps a customer will be directed to these people first. But they probably won't have direct access to a person's medical records. If there is some deal out there where an offshore company has access to American patients medical records, it must be a complicated deal legally, and certainly can't be cheap.
we have offshore testers who have access to fake data in the qa platform but access to production is supposed to be onshore only (either employees or consultants).

i have found one scenario where a profile used for offshore users contains a dataset with a production high-level-qualifier (not sure if its been exploited yet).

Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
I did it for years from the get-go at one company. They shipped me a new laptop loaded with the needed apps and from then on, I expensed my internet and phone charges each month. The work was managing software implementation for external clients, whom I rarely ever met (used to occasionally look up people I spent countless hours talking to on LinkedIn and was alys surprised that they never looked anything like I imagined, lol). I'd say a few thousand other employees also worked from home, although some located near a corp office did the cubicle/office life for the most part. Policy was no face time with clients (except in one case where the client exec called my CEO persomnally to get me onsite for a 2 day meeting.
The reason for this was that "your work on other projects could suffer" (see next paragraph), but it was obvious that a cheap hotel and subcompact car rental for a few days would crush the finances of a 2 billion dollar revenue stream. Humbug.

The thing that got to me after the enjoyment of working in shorts wore off was the creeping time commitment. Since a given project could be in any timezone, I could be getting urgent emails at all hours of the day and night. The sales approach was streamlined in such a way that a client was signed and billed based on assumption of 20 person hours (or whatever the total). In reality, I could easily spent more than that time in a single week, and we are talking 12 weeks on average. Some clients require daily status calls, some require conf call-based technical training, some needed the same training repeatedly (Tim left the company, can we start over? Or Janice got that training 10 weeks ago but forgot it, can we do it again?). I had to leave off large numbers of actual hours as to not get the wrath of the boss' boss on the fact that they only paid for X hours. Imagine telling a client who is under their own grapes of wrath and being watched by the CFO on how the project will meet the target, well you have to sign another contract with our sales and legal teams, sorry! Don't call me until I get the greenlight. Click

Pretty hard to do.

But what you need is the disciple to back away from the computer at 5pm/6pm/whatever. My weakness was that I felt obligated to clear the slate each day, and also during vacations. With 5 weeks per year, I don't recall ever taking more than 2 in a year, and less in some years. Some people have much more discipline and can pull it off. Some can't (like me)

Old 06-30-2018, 04:29 PM

9,390 posts, read 8,360,377 times
OP - I believe you are the one who has come on here to post about the boss who has the bad breath, the boss who is insecure and various other issues your colleagues.....now this rant. I think maybe you need to work on your people skills vs. trying to isolate yourself from the rest of society. You sound very anti-social.

If you can't or won't work well with these people I'd just job-hop around until you find something to meet your high standards. Although based on the tone of your posts I don't think that job exists.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
OP - I believe you are the one who has come on here to post about the boss who has the bad breath, the boss who is insecure and various other issues your colleagues.....now this rant. I think maybe you need to work on your people skills vs. trying to isolate yourself from the rest of society. You sound very anti-social.

If you can't or won't work well with these people I'd just job-hop around until you find something to meet your high standards. Although based on the tone of your posts I don't think that job exists.
My standards aren't high. My boss does have bad breath and is insecure. She is a great boss though and I like her as a person. You do not work in the office I do, so how do you know what I deal with daily? There are many other things that go on that I have not created threads about.

I know others that are telecommuting for the exact same reasons as myself and are great people to work with-and are actually far from antisocial. I still interact with society, but I just want to work and not be dragged into the needs of various people. I only have one need at a job and that is to work. If that makes me antisocial, then I am and several other people that I know as well.

I will continue to look for telecommute work because I am ready to work from home. I can still interact with the team but I don't play politics well and it's not for me.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
The site I was referring to is 100telecommutejobs.com
Can pull by many catagories of disciplines
Some are not true telecommute but most are
Full/part/contract/permanent offerings
Links to company's website too most of time

Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
FWIW--my daughter is teacher at public school in FL
She has been there for almost 15 yrs now--taught 3 yrs in TX before relocating because of marriage
She has a new teacher added to her 5th grade team in Aug--who had years of experience out of state
My daughter was team leader--thought it would be one way to get people on her grade level to be more innovated and actually approach some of the curricula protocols they way they should be integrated--
The other team leader retired year before and she was not great at trying new things

My daughter had two real issues--
1--the new but experienced teacher wanted to have her hand held every step of the way, needed constant reassurance as to her effectiveness as a teacher, etc...
My daughter didn't have time for that--she was willing initially to help her get the feel for how things were expected--but not to give up her free period every day going over minutia...
This was a teacher with more experience than my daughter...
2--some people just don't want to change--
My daughter has no real authority to MAKE teachers impliment instruction in a specific way
Frankly, the VPs can only do so much when teachers do not want to follow expectations
And some people on her team were just gossips
They would gossip to parents about professional issues (teachers/students) which was strictly forbidden really as professional conduct...and then my daughter would often be put in position to calm waters she had no part in roiling...

She stepped down middle of the year--it only paid a 1K stipend--in no way a financial value for the time she had to spend dealing with matters...

I can totally understand why some people would want to escape office politics and people who won't either mind their own business or stick to business...
Some managers are as bad or worse because they choose favorites and overlook the issues those workers create...

Hope the OP finds something worthwhile and steady...

Old 07-02-2018, 03:41 AM

838 posts, read 565,443 times
Definitely alot of telecommuting opportunities for that line of work, I also telecommute and while it can be boring at times it is better than to deal with other co-workers drama or having to deal with traffic every morning.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Telecommuting isn't a silver bullet. It really depends on the type of telecommuting jobs you're on. I don't find telecommuting jobs where you need to be online by a certain time any more liberating than positions where you're in the office. Micromanagement can still go on in telecommuting jobs, and sometimes it can be even worse. A lot of these companies can monitor your computer, the type of work you're doing, how long you're on the computer, and how long you're idle. And don't worry about office politics, because they'll manifest themselves through the various meetings you'll need to attend. Think office politics are bad, suffer through 2 hour long meetings of you co-workers having the most non-productive -itch fests

Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
In order for this to work, you really need to be at a manager or very senior staff level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment