Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:02 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Usually they go through 3 years of residency after graduation, where they're working 100 hours a week for about 50K a year. Barely enough to pay student loans and rent - but then again, they don't have time for anything else for 3 years. Not sure about the experience requirements, but I'm sure some of the med students do Teaching/Research assistant-ships or Resident Advisor for obtaining some experience.

Then they pass their medical board exams and are now a full doctor, able to practice on their own.
Med school loans are in deferment or forbearance during residency programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Med school loans are in deferment or forbearance during residency programs.
True. However, interest still compounds, causing the loan balance to jump.

Whether someone wants to pay during residency or not, that's up to them.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
That's the point. Most of these grads HAVE NOT started a real career and they are underemployed.
Here is the thing, how can they? Unless they do some sort of internship(s) from junior, if not sophmore year or perhaps MLM sales, they wouldn't be able to start a "real career" because burger flipping and retail work isn't "real experience" for many fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's not true but I know you really believe this.
I think they do at least to a point if not fully buy it hook, line and sinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
10 years after the recession began, have Americans recovered?

This article states a lot of good information! One is that unemployment is down to it's lowest rate in 16 years! Furthermore, companies are actually having a hard time filling positions as there are more jobs than people applying. There will also be even more jobs available as the boomers are gradually leaving the workforce allowing more open positions to be filled.

As far as "entry level", positions go, there's still plenty of them. I see them on job boards everyday. And companies are willing to take recent graduates at entry level so they can pay them less anyway. Most positions make you start at the bottom and climb your way up whether you have a degree or not.
The problem with the boomer jobs is they do often take these jobs and pass them off to other workers or suddenly find them redundant due to technology or some other investigation...

Quote:
Plenty of people are in that boat. Just because you're not, doesn't mean other people are not.
Exactly, I see that a lot with people on this board. They think "Well I did it, you can." Um no, there are certainly issues they left off like when people did it, the exact how.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:28 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, I see that a lot with people on this board. They think "Well I did it, you can." Um no, there are certainly issues they left off like when people did it, the exact how.
Yup.

Every single person who "did it" and looked down on others who had difficulties, always left out key information in their story.

One didn't want to admit they had random chance on their side in their start.
One didn't want to admit they went to an Ivy League school.
One didn't want to admit their parents helped them get a job.
One didn't want to admit they had gotten their first job decades ago, when entry level jobs requiring no experience still existed.
One didn't want to admit they were able to get an internship because they lived with mommy and daddy at the time.
One didn't want to admit that their particular geographic area played a big reason why they got their first job. They weren't talking about the USA job market when they brought up their particular experience.
One didn't want to admit they got their job due to their (young) age. Older career changers - well too bad for them!

I could go on and on.

There was always some "unique to them" factor that got them their first entry level job - that ordinary people couldn't obtain. And many of these factors career changers can't get (like the living with mommy and daddy part)

That's the pattern I'm seeing.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:36 PM

801 posts, read 547,514 times
@bobsell

K. I give up. I've explained how I manage to break out of that catch-22. You called it random chance (luck). I gave a few examples on how other people did it and you weren't convinced.

I am not saying its feasible for everyone to do those SAME EXACT things that me and my colleagues did. Just that if someone is willing to think outside of the box, do what they have to do, they can find a plan suitable for them that break them out of their catch-22.

As I said before, it seems you like you have already made up your mind. Good day.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Not unless McDonald's and Wendy's cease to exist.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:14 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Yea.. you can that required experience by starting lower with something that DOESN'T require experience. Ever heard of transferrable skills??

Ever heard of many employers requiring industry specific experience? You can have transferrable skills all you want, but if it is NOT in the specified industry in which the employer requires you are out of luck. I have seen many ads that state you "must" have specific industry experience.

Notice I said many employers, not all.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:15 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Yup.

Every single person who "did it" and looked down on others who had difficulties, always left out key information in their story.

One didn't want to admit they had random chance on their side in their start.
One didn't want to admit they went to an Ivy League school.
One didn't want to admit their parents helped them get a job.
One didn't want to admit they had gotten their first job decades ago, when entry level jobs requiring no experience still existed.
One didn't want to admit they were able to get an internship because they lived with mommy and daddy at the time.
One didn't want to admit that their particular geographic area played a big reason why they got their first job. They weren't talking about the USA job market when they brought up their particular experience.
One didn't want to admit they got their job due to their (young) age. Older career changers - well too bad for them!

I could go on and on.

There was always some "unique to them" factor that got them their first entry level job - that ordinary people couldn't obtain. And many of these factors career changers can't get (like the living with mommy and daddy part)

That's the pattern I'm seeing.

Agreed.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree, but to be fair, the opposite is often true as well. "Well, if I couldn't do it, you can't either". There are often issues left off that would show that person's failure to be unique to something that person did.

That's why we should look at overall data such as unemployment rates, not personal anecdotes to see what's accurate.

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-30-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I agree, but to be fair, the opposite is often true as well. "Well, if I couldn't do it, you can't either". There are often issues left off that would show that person's failure to be unique to something that person did.

That's why we should look at overall data such as unemployment rates, not personal anecdotes to see what's accurate.
Indeed though I would say look at local data more so than national data, because comparing an area like Phoenix and its suburbs to New York or even LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment