Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM

177 posts, read 542,497 times

Advertisements

no offense but people who think their company will always be there to take care of them are suckers. Maybe that's the difference between the old generation and the new (i'm just joining the work force now).

You should have been gaining skills that could be use in other industries or companies all along those 30 years.

At this point, all you can do is get some training somewhere. Look for tech or trade schools to enroll in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 AM

16 posts, read 41,135 times
I'm sorry to hear about your situation the same thing happened to my dad after 24 years in the fire industry he was the best. He was also the fire marshall for a very long time. Well he knew everything there was to know about arson and structure fires but he knew nothing else. That was two almost three years ago he just now found a job. So don't wait to long to get back to work it's to easy to give up once you put your whole life into something. I'm sorry to be so blunt but it almost killed my dad and i never want to see it happen to anyone else.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,281,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Money is the big deal breaker. If and when hospital corps figure out how to break the nursing thing the way IT was broken, it will happen. They don't like paying you guys all that money.
Insurance is paying for less and less, and many are going without as much medical care as before, so the baby boomer thing isn't the big thing either. I am a boomer, and I don't have big healthcare benefits, nor do I run to the doctor for everything.
No one profession is isolated or immune to being broken by the bean counters, believe me.
BTW .... just in the last month, I have gotten two job offers in the mail ... totally unsolicited. That's how in demand RN's are ...

Of course hospitals don't want to pay. But that's why living in a strong union state like California is really great for nurses. Nurses can and do go out on strike using their leverage as a group.

So it's a lot more difficult for them to shut us down like they did with IT. If anything ... it's the other way around. Nurses shut them down.

UC Davis tried this a couple of years ago. The nurses went out on a one day strike which cost them $10 million ... just for one day. The hospital was forced to negotiate with the union and the nurses got most of what they wanted.

So yeah no profession is totally immune but, since California nurses have strong unions ... it's pretty close.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,084,319 times
There will always be a demand for certain professions and nursing is one of them.

Personally, I don't worry about the job market. The way I see it - and the way that's been proven in my life - is that my job is not my source. God is. He's proven Himself in this area time and again.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM

250 posts, read 333,994 times
sheri,

My brother worked as an x-ray tech for 30 years at the same hospital and he was laid off last year along with 25 nurses. Cited reasons were insurance companies and coming universal health coverage. Management stated that health care was not secure because of the baby boomers, but that when government starts running hospitals and how they are paid, people WILL lose jobs. Like anything else government does... did we expect them to do it better than private industry?

This is not to rant on your career, my sister is an RN and loves it, but she too sees how insurance is changing how hospitals track time and figure out ways to eliminate expenses. Surely, they cannot outsource the proximity of a nurse, but they CAN reduce the need for such nurses by reducing who gets care. Look at Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment