Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
His parents are well off and they give him allowances. He pretty much can have anything and do anything he wants. His parents gave him a whole studio to his own where he has all kinds of games and stuff. His parents even gave him a Cadillac when he got his license. I was actually against it because I don't think it's a good thing for a teenager to get such a good car as a gift. And yet, completely on his own he went out and found himself a job at panda express. He works 11-12 hours a day. I just invited him to see Jurassic world with us and that's how I found out he works so much. From 10am to 11pm. He said he likes it.

Nowadays, I hear too much about unemployed youths and whatnot. I'm glad he is already learning some good work ethics. That's my boy!
A studio with games? That's like saying a kitchen with a ping-pong table.
There are labor laws and policies at a company to prevent workers from clocking in at 10 AM and out at 11 PM each day.
Next time you come up with a fictional story simply to gauge reactions in a forum, work harder on the details. They explained that pretty clearly in the creative writing courses. It is those details which make it believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
A studio with games? That's like saying a kitchen with a ping-pong table.
There are labor laws and policies at a company to prevent workers from clocking in at 10 AM and out at 11 PM each day.
Next time you come up with a fictional story simply to gauge reactions in a forum, work harder on the details. They explained that pretty clearly in the creative writing courses. It is those details which make it believable.
I'm sorry you don't believe me. What do you call a room that a kid has all his games and stuff in there if not a studio? English is not my first language.

Regarding working from 10 to 11, I doubt that's every day. Like most minimum wage summer jobs, the hours are probably clumped together. I'm not sure. All I know is I invited him to a movie and he said he had to work from 10 to 11.

Of course not believing in it is your choice. Nothing I can do about it. I just don't think it is fair you are nitpicking a word I used despite the fact that I clearly said we are immigrants earlier on. I've always thought a studio is a room where you put your games, guitars, etc in. No?

Edit.

Just googled on illinois labor laws.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...ke-311740.html

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.co...laws/illinois/

Quote:
The Fair Labor Standards Act does not limit the number of hours per day or per week that employees aged 16 years and older can be required to work.
Edit again.

https://www.mightyrecruiter.com/recr...laws-illinois/

Quote:
Work Hours in Illinois
Illinois and federal wage and hour regulations do not set limits on the number of hours employees are permitted to work in a day or week. With few exceptions, the state requires employers to give workers at least 24 hours off in each calendar week.
Are you honest enough to come back and apologize for accusing me of being a liar?

Last edited by MetroWord; 07-02-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
It varies by individual state law. Washington (my state) under 18 are limited to 6 during school weeks, 8 hrs during non-school weeks.

They also have more stringent break and meal periods and limited on what equipment they can operate.

Those current requirements for working hours and conditions are a bit amusing, compared to what it was like when I was 16. I and two friends were hired to do very hard farm work in the summer. The pay was better than anything I'd gotten before, but the boss paid in cash and did not withhold taxes, make Soc. Sec. contributions or register us with Workman's Compensation. If we'd been hurt on the job, I imagine we'd have been on our own. We dreaded the days when we had to carry and load 180-lb. bales of alfalfa or sacks of wheat, on our truck, but had to do it without complaint.

I did this for three summers and got no Soc. Sec. credits for it. There were no work breaks, except for pumping up drinking water from wells and outhouse visits. Our lunch hour was how long it took us to wolf down a couple of sandwiches and then be back to work as quickly as possible.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
His parents are well off and they give him allowances. He pretty much can have anything and do anything he wants. His parents gave him a whole studio to his own where he has all kinds of games and stuff. His parents even gave him a Cadillac when he got his license. I was actually against it because I don't think it's a good thing for a teenager to get such a good car as a gift. And yet, completely on his own he went out and found himself a job at panda express. He works 11-12 hours a day. I just invited him to see Jurassic world with us and that's how I found out he works so much. From 10am to 11pm. He said he likes it.

Nowadays, I hear too much about unemployed youths and whatnot. I'm glad he is already learning some good work ethics. That's my boy!
Is that a summer job or did he quit school?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you don't believe me. What do you call a room that a kid has all his games and stuff in there if not a studio? English is not my first language.

Don't worry about it. I figured out what you meant from the context.
Some people don't have that ability I guess.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Don't worry about it. I figured out what you meant from the context.
Some people don't have that ability I guess.
Or they have the ability to simply make up stories to try to prove a point or to make themselves feel good about something or to entertain others.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not all full time employees get health care or paid vacation.

Unemployment insurance is purchased by the employer only.
In the US, all full time employees are offered health care either by the employee or by ACA.

Unemployment insurance is not "purchased", it is a requirement that the system be paid into by the employer and the employee. It is paid by the employee as withholding from their paycheck. Anyone who works and does their taxes would know this.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Are you honest enough to come back and apologize for accusing me of being a liar?
A friend of mine is a manager at a Panda Express. So I texted him. He said, and I quote from his text message, "There is no way we would allow employees to work a 13 hour schedule from 10 AM to 11 PM, by a 16 year old or any other aged employee. Whoever told you that has incorrect information or something is wrong".

You can return back to your "feel good" story.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
A friend of mine is a manager at a Panda Express. So I texted him. He said, and I quote from his text message, "There is no way we would allow employees to work a 13 hour schedule from 10 AM to 11 PM, by a 16 year old or any other aged employee. Whoever told you that has incorrect information or something is wrong".

You can return back to your "feel good" story.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 AM

973 posts, read 914,962 times
Maybe the guy works at two different locations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment