Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Why am I not surprised some people are defending the a-hole manager?

At least we know where the company stands, because we know which person actually lost their job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
The boss should have worded her speech more delicately. I agree it is heartless.

For argument's sake, a business is not required to pay wage to an absent employee for any length of time. As a representative of a business, it is not up to the boss to be responsible for the emotional well-being of employees That's cold but accurate.

There are always choices and the mom made hers. Her son. Besides who knows the Good that is going to come out of this!!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:32 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Nice to see that manager no longer works with that company.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:36 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The boss should have worded her speech more delicately. I agree it is heartless.

For argument's sake, a business is not required to pay wage to an absent employee for any length of time. As a representative of a business, it is not up to the boss to be responsible for the emotional well-being of employees That's cold but accurate.

There are always choices and the mom made hers. Her son. Besides who knows the Good that is going to come out of this!!
I have to disagree just a little. I work for one if the largest chemical companys in the world. Fortune 100 yada yada yada. We are very much concerned with our employees emotional well being. Study upon study has shown that companies with healthy progressive work environment and employees with a great work-life balance are simply better situations. A direct correlation to your bottom line. The old "business is business" environment is antiquated and costly.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:26 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
A manager once told me it was the hospitals job to take care of my (dying) mother and my job to be at work . . .

Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I have to disagree just a little. I work for one if the largest chemical companys in the world. Fortune 100 yada yada yada. We are very much concerned with our employees emotional well being. Study upon study has shown that companies with healthy progressive work environment and employees with a great work-life balance are simply better situations. A direct correlation to your bottom line. The old "business is business" environment is antiquated and costly.
Simple equation: If you as a business feel entitled to above average employees, you must be, long-term, an above average employer.

That does not mean wage scales far out of whack with industry/occupation norms, but little things like reasonable accommodation and well-being concern are very much in a business' control, w/o forcing them to be uncompetitive.

If I worked for this corp, and the manager was not fired for cause, I would seek new employment based on principle.

I am hoping the ex manager is out of work a long, long, long time.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:03 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times
Back in 1999 when my wife was carrying our first she was admitted to the hospital after a routine check up. She called me at work to let me know. She was two months early and obviously we were very scared for our unborn. I got some people in the office to back fill me in a matter of minutes as they were scared too. Then went and told my boss that my wife was being admitted and the baby might not make it... I need to go. He looked up from his desk and said, "Why? Are you a doctor?". Cold dead stare at me. I just looked at him and said I gotta go...and left.

She was born a few days later at 3 pounds. It was a scary month to say the least with touch and go, but 30 days later we finally were able to bring her home. In that month his words stuck with me and in those trips for the month of back and forth to work and the hospital I swore I would get another job as soon as I could. Added to the story, all 6 of us that worked for him left within a six month period.

19 years later I have a very talented daughter going to college. Maybe I was not "a doctor", but I was the first able to to go see her in the NICU and I know that made a difference.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Back in 1999 when my wife was carrying our first she was admitted to the hospital after a routine check up. She called me at work to let me know. She was two months early and obviously we were very scared for our unborn. I got some people in the office to back fill me in a matter of minutes as they were scared too. Then went and told my boss that my wife was being admitted and the baby might not make it... I need to go. He looked up from his desk and said, "Why? Are you a doctor?". Cold dead stare at me. I just looked at him and said I gotta go...and left.

She was born a few days later at 3 pounds. It was a scary month to say the least with touch and go, but 30 days later we finally were able to bring her home. In that month his words stuck with me and in those trips for the month of back and forth to work and the hospital I swore I would get another job as soon as I could. Added to the story, all 6 of us that worked for him left within a six month period.

19 years later I have a very talented daughter going to college. Maybe I was not "a doctor", but I was the first able to to go see her in the NICU and I know that made a difference.
I would hope each of you threw those words in HR's face when exiting, so they would know the root cause of their problem.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Rereading the quoted text messages, it says the employee said she couldn't return to work until her son was off life support. The employer said "I've been more than accommodating during this allowing schedule changes and such." If she doesn't qualify for FLMA, can't work indefinitely and someone else has to be hired to cover for her, then the company can terminate her. It seems like there's a lot we haven't been told here.
Unemployment rate is low, and minimum wage jobs are generally pretty easy to come by. She’s only paid for the hours she worked. The effort she made by shaming the manager could have been spent on her son and then on finding another job.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
What’s a “progressive work environment”?

How many of your employees are unskilled minimum wage earners? People who join your company as a career generally have a different outlook than casual workers. They expect more but also give more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment