Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You could send out a company wide email reminding us to submit time sheets. I forward it to myself, delete your words and type whatever I want to accuse you of saying.
Print it out and file charges. That's why.
Having printed emails being inadmissible doesn't even sound right. What does one do when they don't own the equipment that generated the emails and those emails are destroyed by the entity that created them? Surely the person that alters an email will be found out. This is 2018. C'mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
^ photos can be digitally altered and recordings can be modified so all evidence should be inadmissible.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Keep EVERY paper memo, if these are used at all any more. My ex wife embarrassed a boss years ago at a chemical plant. He called a meeting and said they were doing such and such procedures about handling chemicals coming to their area. She said they'd been told they would not be handling chemicals. He disputed her, said that had never been said. She pulled out a memo from her file stating that all chemicals would be piped to the area with no contact until a certain point. He was mad enough to eat nails but she proved him wrong.
If I had been that manager, she'd have had a PIP on her and removed asap....You do NOT mess with management unless you WANT to leave...

Old 07-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I've posted on a few pages about various work issues. No easy answers to some of the issues but I do think we should document events and happenings as much as possible. Now with smart phones, it may be easy enough to get a video of someone mouthing off about this or that. I wish I could have done that years ago with a couple of supervisors who were famous for saying one thing today and something else tomorrow, denying they said this or that, etc. If you can't easily get good cam shots, at least put your phone in that direction and lay it down to catch a voice recording. Use it judicially, as it seems needed, and/or as risk dictates.

Keep EVERY paper memo, if these are used at all any more. My ex wife embarrassed a boss years ago at a chemical plant. He called a meeting and said they were doing such and such procedures about handling chemicals coming to their area. She said they'd been told they would not be handling chemicals. He disputed her, said that had never been said. She pulled out a memo from her file stating that all chemicals would be piped to the area with no contact until a certain point. He was mad enough to eat nails but she proved him wrong.

Make a paper copy of EVERY e mail about any significant issue. Online files could get wiped out by a virus, a blown hard drive or crooked management.

If something dishonest or unjust is happening in your work place, report it to higher management, anonymously if need be. ID your correspondence with a code number so you can claim it later if need be. It may not help things now but may be useful later on to prove you brought it to someone's attention and they did or didn't act on it. Don't be afraid to report something to police or regulatory authorities if it is a really big issue that could swallow up you or your coworkers.
Or you can use that time and energy towards something more productive.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Having printed emails being inadmissible doesn't even sound right. What does one do when they don't own the equipment that generated the emails and those emails are destroyed by the entity that created them? Surely the person that alters an email will be found out. This is 2018. C'mon.
Just something that was taught in union training.

What you could do, however, is forward the email asap to management.

Also admissible is a journal/log documenting date/time/witnesses/event. Keeping a consistent log is a great way to protect yourself.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Just something that was taught in union training.

What you could do, however, is forward the email asap to management.

Also admissible is a journal/log documenting date/time/witnesses/event. Keeping a consistent log is a great way to protect yourself.
If you have to protect yourself at your job, maybe you are holding on too tight.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you have to protect yourself at your job, maybe you are holding on too tight.
No worries at my job.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:36 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Or maybe you're smart to protect yourself so that if you ever end up someplace nobody wants to be, your employer will be the one with a lot of explaining to do. If someone puts a target on your back, you don't lie down and take...especially if you understand their game. Checkmate.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:41 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,691 times
Quote:
I'm with you. Work isn't that deep. If you have to do all of this stuff, it would be easier to find a different job.
Considering the wife worked at a chemical plant and had been told they wouldn’t be coming in contact with the chemicals but now they would be, I think she had a right to ensure the safety of herself and her coworkers. Now if this had been a change in the filing procedures, I might agree with you. But documenting bad things is always a good thing. I’m going through some drama now and you better believe I’m recording everything!

Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
My favorite documentation story:

A local government engineer would not approve the plans from a developer for a very, very large housing development unless it included a drainage system as required by code. This would cost $600K and the developer didn't want to pay it. The developer had his buddy the city councilman call and lean on the engineer to approve the project. Not only is this unethical, it is illegal. The engineer refused.

Then the guy did something that turned out to be absolutely brilliant. He documented the entire incident and placed it in his personnel file at HR. These are public record so anyone could ask to see his file but HR strictly records who has requested it. This was a safekeeping move.

Several years later this same developer and councilman are linked to a growing corruption scandal. Eventually three councilman, the manager, and several prominent businessmen including the developer were arrested.

When the story was developing the engineer retrieved his document from HR and gave it to the prosecutors. It became another nail in the coffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment