Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Whenever I hear a place used an offshore manager it sends a red flag to me. It means you can be replaced by someone elsewhere at a cheaper rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
I'm the one who is at a cheaper cost who replaced someone in the offshore location. The work is being outsourced to where I currently work.

I use the term "offshore" simply to avoid any confusion between the two managers.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Leave this book on her chair..... https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-I.../dp/B004J4WNL2

Then give your notice.

Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with being an introvert, and those that think you need to change to become extroverted are wrong.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Leave this book on her chair..... https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-I.../dp/B004J4WNL2

Then give your notice.

Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with being an introvert, and those that think you need to change to become extroverted are wrong.
I'm not really a full blown introvert, but I'm not the life of the party either. I can talk all day and have an ease with making an actual conversation with a stranger, but I have a personal life outside of work. I do not want to mingle with my colleagues. I also do not have time to walk around the office to talk to everybody. I am overloaded with work. If I leave for 5 minutes, people start calling me to figure out where I am because there's always something urgent. That's the downfall of working on your own.

Besides, she can't say I'm an introvert. She sees me chatting with people on a daily basis. She's just full of it.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I'm not really a full blown introvert, but I'm not the life of the party either. I can talk all day and have an ease with making an actual conversation with a stranger, but I have a personal life outside of work. I do not want to mingle with my colleagues. I also do not have time to walk around the office to talk to everybody. I am overloaded with work. If I leave for 5 minutes, people start calling me to figure out where I am because there's always something urgent. That's the downfall of working on your own.

Besides, she can't say I'm an introvert. She sees me chatting with people on a daily basis. She's just full of it.
You're normal. She's full of dog doo doo.

If you can afford it I would say quit as soon as you can. I wasn't aware the offshore manager sucked too. If that's the case then **** it - Leave as soon as you can. Any interviews coming up???

Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Nope, none because this all happened on Monday/today.

I have a business trip for 2 weeks in August. So, I'm going to fulfill this duty as I love that city, then I'm out.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Nope, none because this all happened on Monday/today.

I have a business trip for 2 weeks in August. So, I'm going to fulfill this duty as I love that city, then I'm out.
OK in the meanwhile start lining up interviews and maybe pad some PTO around the travel days so you can interview before you get back.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 PM

A bit of an update:

I spoke to my offshore manager. I basically threatened to quit (did not formulate it like this exactly, but she got the message). I explained that I did not appreciate having this additional work dumped upon me by local management without my actual consent.

She got my local manager on the phone a few hours later. My local manager apparently said she never asked me to cover for my other colleague whilst she's away, but to simply pick up the phone (this is a pure lie because she expressly said in a team meeting in front of 5 other colleagues, that I will be covering for this girl while she's away). No backbone whatsoever. They wanted to basically have me do some massive work without my offshore's manager consent.

This department management is shady as hell. They make unilateral decisions and can't even face their own words once confronted.

How can you tell your entire team: "X is going to cover for Z" then speak to senior management and say: "This was never discussed". This is a freaking joke.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Why you are giving this no-win situation so much energy?

Focus on your skills and how you can make them mutually beneficial to a new employer and yourself.

Get your own house; i.e., resume, in order ASAP and get yourself out into the marketplace.

It's long past time for you to find yourself a raise with another company.

Move on as quickly as possible. That business trip next month isn't worth staying around for given the circumstances you have outlined with boss and management.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Why you are giving this no-win situation so much energy?

Focus on your skills and how you can make them mutually beneficial to a new employer and yourself.

Get your own house; i.e., resume, in order ASAP and get yourself out into the marketplace.

It's long past time for you to find yourself a raise with another company.

Move on as quickly as possible. That business trip next month isn't worth staying around for given the circumstances you have outlined with boss and management.
Altough I agree on the fact that this situation does not deserve the energy, I have to hold remain professional.

To me this business trip is important. It will allow me to see my friends & support system as they're all located there.

Making a rash decision is not always a good idea. Jumping into a new job in 3 weeks is not feasable. The grass is not always greener! I could leave for something worse than this if I were to leave in a rush.

Besides, leaving a company shall be done on a high note. Not by leaving your mentor (offshore manager, here) high and dry whilst she's away on vacation. She's invested a lot in me and is relying on me for this project during the summer. I'm certainly not letting her down because of this crisis. That's not how I perceive professionalism. You never how things may turn out .. what if I decide to come back one day? It is a huge corporation and dropping everyone in the midst of a huge project for their biggest client can ruin their & my reputation. I will be the only one handling this client for a couple of weeks, so this is a terrible idea.

It is never a good idea to burn bridges.

Unfortunately, her say does not weight much when it comes to promotions despite her being a senior manager. It is what it is, but I'm not letting her down. I'm the only one who was assigned this project which requires me to go on this busines trip, I'm going to hold my promise. I am loyal to those who have supported me. We'll see what happens when I come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment