Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Those who long for the days when America was "Great" forget there was a good labor shortage. Made possible by sharply low birth ratss during the Great Depression and about half a million dying in WWII.
I agree. Otis Earl Hawkins wrote an autobiography which included his WWII experiences. He said that a small minority of soldiers accomplished most of the work, and were most likely to die. I suspect that the low crime rate following WWII was at least partially a result of the loss of a large number of risk-taking young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,914,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
People expect rewards for working, otherwise what is their motivation? The relationship between employer and employees is a business relationship and so is subject to negotiation. Employers have a price to pay for employees and that price can be in control as well as money and negotiations determine the price.

Business owners shouldn’t be a protected group isolated from market realities nor should the freedom of employees to negotiate be infringed. Business owners just have to deal with it. If they want to be in business then they have to do business and part of that is negotiating costs, including labor.
People do get a reward from working. They get what the person they are working for deems to be appropriate. If that don't like it, they are free to quit and find a new job. If they feel they deserve more, they can prove that to the person writing the paychecks, or quit and start their own company.

Forcing a business owner to only hire union workers is not inherantly fair. That makes employees a protected group legally isolated from market realities. Of course employees are free to negotiate. Every employee can negotiate their wage without unions. There has never been anything illegal about walking into your bosses office and asking for a raise.

I agree with what you just said. I don't know why you brought up unions though, since everything you said is true without them. Unions current day actually restrict how employees can negotiate for wages. If I want to negotiate for a better wage than I think I'd get through a union, I can't right now.

Last edited by Lekrii; 07-15-2018 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
However, in some sort of basic sense, I definitely think we are moving closer toward a caste system of haves, the upper middle class professionals in the major urban areas, and everyone else.
If that's true, I want to position myself to be part of the upper caste, not the one sitting there complaining about how unfair the system is and getting left behind at the station because I didn't get on the train.

I cannot fix society. What I can do is the best deal for myself and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment