Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I already got my job, and I have mentored others. My posting was long filled and taken down.

You can do your own search on google, indeed, and linkedin. You're a smart guy. I know you can do it.
As I posted earlier, I already did this search and could not find any jobs in Analytics that required light experience in the form of a certificate, taking a class, or reading a book. Doing such a search supports bobsell's position, not yours. As you said, anyone can do a search to see for themselves.

You and your friends have done well for yourselves, but your results are not typical. People that want to break into Analytics today will have a heck of a time without the proper experience and education, no matter how smart and hardworking they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
As I posted earlier, I already did this search and could not find any jobs in Analytics that required light experience in the form of a certificate, taking a class, or reading a book. Doing such a search supports bobsell's position, not yours. As you said, anyone can do a search to see for themselves.

You and your friends have done well for yourselves, but your results are not typical. People that want to break into Analytics today will have a heck of a time without the proper experience and education, no matter how smart and hardworking they are.
Just for you. I did a a search. Here's a few analyst roles:
Business Analyst I (Secondary Marketing): https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=35...rom=serp&vjs=3
Data Analyst - Business Operations: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=1e...rom=serp&vjs=3
Business Operations Analyst: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7a...rom=serp&vjs=3
Product Analyst, Analytics: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=98...rom=serp&vjs=3

This is a job that is typical that I or my mentees would apply for. It would also for 2 years experience in strategic development/planning. The preferred skills is "Prior related experience in a Product Analyst related role within the healthcare industry". The mentees would apply for roles that put emphasis on their domain and industry knowledge than on the sql side.

I held a prior job as a business analyst working with Excel and MS Access for the financial industry for 3 years. We were laid off. I got the SQL cert. I searched for other business analyst or data analyst roles, that required experience in business analysis, excel, and prior financial industry experience in their business operations. I went from $50k which was about right for an Excel/Access guy(no sql used) to $75k for the typical SQL role in our state.

I have been on the interviewing team for my prior managers. Their resumes didn't meet every single requirement. If they had half the requirements, my boss would have me interview them. The one requirement that was needed was prior industry industry. If a guy had 2 years of SQL experience in health and another guy had 2 years of credit card default experience and a SQL class, we would interview both. The prior credit card default experience would always seem to win out, as they had better understanding of the application and prior knowledge of the data fields of the application.

If you have been working in pricing for 3-4 years and just learned sql, I would advise you to search for pricing and sql. You have to have the domain knowledge in pricing.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-20-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Just for you. I did a a search. Here's a few analyst roles:
Business Analyst I (Secondary Marketing): https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=35...rom=serp&vjs=3
Data Analyst - Business Operations: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=1e...rom=serp&vjs=3
Business Operations Analyst: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7a...rom=serp&vjs=3
Product Analyst, Analytics: https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=98...rom=serp&vjs=3

This is a job that is typical that I or my mentees would apply for. It would also for 2 years experience in strategic development/planning. The preferred skills is "Prior related experience in a Product Analyst related role within the healthcare industry". The mentees would apply for roles that put emphasis on their domain and industry knowledge than on the sql side.

I held a prior job as a business analyst working with Excel and MS Access for the financial industry for 3 years. We were laid off. I got the SQL cert. I searched for other business analyst or data analyst roles, that required experience in business analysis, excel, and prior financial industry experience in their business operations. I went from $50k which was about right for an Excel/Access guy(no sql used) to $75k for the typical SQL role in our state.

I have been on the interviewing team for my prior managers. Their resumes didn't meet every single requirement. If they had half the requirements, my boss would have me interview them. The one requirement that was needed was prior industry industry. If a guy had 2 years of SQL experience in health and another guy had 2 years of credit card default experience and a SQL class, we would interview both. The prior credit card default experience would always seem to win out, as they had better understanding of the application and prior knowledge of the data fields of the application.

If you have been working in pricing for 3-4 years and just learned sql, I would advise you to search for pricing and sql. You have to have the domain knowledge in pricing.
? But... that is the types of jobs that I did find. You have posted some jobs that do not have the most stringent qualifications of most of the ones that I saw but they are still stringent enough to preclude anyone with just a cert, class, or book from just walking in and grabbing the job. And you already held a business analyst job for three years, so you already had BA experience. You didn't go into it cold with just the cert, class, or book.

Again, you have done very well but I still see that it is difficult for people to get into without the proper experience.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:

Quote:
? But... that is the types of jobs that I did find. You have posted some jobs that do not have the most stringent qualifications of most of the ones that I saw but they are still stringent enough to preclude anyone with just a cert, class, or book from just walking in and grabbing the job. And you already held a business analyst job for three years, so you already had BA experience. You didn't go into it cold with just the cert, class, or book.

Again, you have done very well but I still see that it is difficult for people to get into without the proper experience.
I read your prior post as "not finding any job" to mean not finding anything. It wasn't clear that you did find those jobs.

Before I got business analyst job in Excel, I was a $11/hr shipping/file clerk for customer files. I would log into an excel file and load to the app that we used. It would automatically log the received date for each account. When we had to ship it back out gain, I had to enter in a tracking number and ship date to do the opposite.

The shipping clerk job had the absolute lowest requirements. I had to able to lift 25 lbs and do data entry. After being laid off due to the company closure, I went from $11/hr to the $50k for business analyst in the same industry.

Is it right to be mad at me for not being a shipping clerk anymore? I will not return back to that role.

You start out with the entry level data analyst and reporting analyst jobs, then move on to the senior data analyst and reporting jobs. Those jobs were posted that do not have stringent SQL requirements. That's exactly how my mentees got started.

I had 2 guys go from data entry clerk for 3 years at $16/hr to data analyst at paying $50-$55k to report on the same application data, despite having no reporting or analyst experience prior. They applied to those entry level data analyst roles that were found in Indeed. One read the book. The other took a class. One has been in the $55k job for 2 years and loves it. One has gone on to $95k-$105k, depending on bonus, after 5 years of SQL reporting.

These are low level requirements are what my employers set the goalposts at for entry level jobs. They aren't going to require 5 years experience for an entry level job paying only $50k. The experienced guys will apply for our senior analytics roles for $90-$105k.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-20-2019 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
A lot of posters complaining about jobs, and salaries. They forget, the big things that sets salary are.

Available college graduates with that degree, which will set the salary. If way more than jobs, lower wages. If in short supply will mean higher salaries.

What is your degree in.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/vis...llege-degrees/

If you chose a degree with way more graduates than jobs, it will be hard to get a well paid job.

If you picked a degree with way more applicants than jobs in your area, it will be difficult to get a job, it is your fault you cannot find a job, as you did not research in advance of getting that degree to find out your job potential.

If you picked one with a shortage of graduates, you will be able to find a job and may have companies bidding for you.

Here are salary comparisons between fields of work. The reason that there are so many low paying jobs, as the graduate did not do research before going to college, to find where the graduates vs. jobs, and pick one that they could handle, and live on the salary that job paid.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If way more (seekers) than jobs, lower wages.
Right there is the core issue with just about every problem we face. Too many.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I read your prior post as "not finding any job" to mean not finding anything. It wasn't clear that you did find those jobs.

Before I got business analyst job in Excel, I was a $11/hr shipping/file clerk for customer files. I would log into an excel file and load to the app that we used. It would automatically log the received date for each account. When we had to ship it back out gain, I had to enter in a tracking number and ship date to do the opposite.

The shipping clerk job had the absolute lowest requirements. I had to able to lift 25 lbs and do data entry. After being laid off due to the company closure, I went from $11/hr to the $50k for business analyst in the same industry.

Is it right to be mad at me for not being a shipping clerk anymore? I will not return back to that role.

You start out with the entry level data analyst and reporting analyst jobs, then move on to the senior data analyst and reporting jobs. Those jobs were posted that do not have stringent SQL requirements. That's exactly how my mentees got started.

I had 2 guys go from data entry clerk for 3 years at $16/hr to data analyst at paying $50-$55k to report on the same application data, despite having no reporting or analyst experience prior. They applied to those entry level data analyst roles that were found in Indeed. One read the book. The other took a class. One has been in the $55k job for 2 years and loves it. One has gone on to $95k-$105k, depending on bonus, after 5 years of SQL reporting.

These are low level requirements are what my employers set the goalposts at for entry level jobs. They aren't going to require 5 years experience for an entry level job paying only $50k. The experienced guys will apply for our senior analytics roles for $90-$105k.
No problem. Sorry that I didn't make myself clear enough. As I said, you guys did great and should be well proud of yourselves. Great job!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM

778 posts, read 505,415 times
I could not have worked in my field for the last 30 years without the degree I have. Didn't plan it out, but altered course in life to avoid another situation, and am basically happy how it turned out. Could be worse.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
I already got my job, and I have mentored others. My posting was long filled and taken down.

You can do your own search on google, indeed, and linkedin. You're a smart guy. I know you can do it.
I've done that, found zero reporting and analytics jobs that require no experience.

So what you're saying is you got lucky and expect everyone else to get lucky.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Someone mentioned temping, it's not a good idea unless there is desperation for any kind of work. A lot of temp agencies now require people to pay for their own drug test and background check, for each and every assignment they work on. If you have five or six assignments during the year, the costs really add up. They did this occasionally when I temped more than 15 years ago, but they do it all the time now is what my friends have told me. I remember paying $55 for a drug test and $50 for a background check, I don't know what it cost now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment