Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Of course you pick one of the few exceptions where the college degree is required

I doubt he was talking about medical doctors, engineering or scientists.
Do you really think those are the only "exceptions?" I could easily list another few dozen, if you'd like - starting with my own (although people rarely understand what we do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you really think those are the only "exceptions?" I could easily list another few dozen, if you'd like - starting with my own (although people rarely understand what we do).
They are some of the very few, of course everyone with a degree is going to say that their degree is absolutely needed.

Maybe extended training or some sort of pseudo associates but there are VERY few professions that truly require spending 5-10 years in school.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
They are some of the very few, of course everyone with a degree is going to say that their degree is absolutely needed.

Maybe extended training or some sort of pseudo associates but there are VERY few professions that truly require spending 5-10 years in school.
Computer coding, for instance.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They're still alive and well here in California, and I'm a member of one... maybe you meant to say "except in red states?"

And (to answer the OP), no I'm not disappointed. But I went for a more specific Master's Degree, which led right into what I already knew I wanted to do - and I've been doing it ever since. So I think more students need to think of what they want to DO, instead of just seeing their degrees as "something to get me somewhere." If that makes sense.
There definitely needs to be more guidance in this regard. When I started college, I only had some vague notions. My parents weren't professional, and really couldn't advise me. When I did get advice from career counselors, etc., it was so far out of line with the actual market (looking back in hindsight) that the advice was useless.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
These degrees are required for any decent level paying job. That being said, NOT having a degree guarantees a low level paying job at best. Finishing college shows you can get a job done, take instruction, and have the ability to accomplish something bigger than yourself. Sure, it's not a promise to wealth and riches, but it's a MUCH better chance at it. I finish my Master's in December. I don't expect it to hand me a six figure income, but at least I can apply for some positions that I could not apply for previous to having a grad degree.

Last edited by BBslider001; 07-17-2018 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
These degrees are required for any decent level paying job. That being said, NOT having a degree guarantees a low level paying job at best. Finishing college shows you can get a job done, take instruction, and have the ability to accomplish something bigger than yourself. Sure,it's not a promise to wealth and riches, but it's a MUCH better chance at it. i finish my Master's in December. I don't expect it to hand me a six figure income, but at least I can apply for some positions that I could not apply for previous to having a grad degree.
I bolded what I think is part of the problem. For some reason some people think that a degree is the ticket to immediately get top pay right out of the gate. I saw this constantly teaching, especially my last ten or so years, with first year teachers wondering when they'd get upkicked to Department Chair or Administration and why was it taking so long. This was their first semester teaching.

One guy in particular I remember. He taught Business and did nothing but complain about his first year teacher salary (@$40K or so). He also claimed that all he ever wanted to do since he could remember was to teach. Talk about a disconnect.

He quit in April, so didn't even finish out his first year.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
These degrees are required for any decent level paying job. That being said, NOT having a degree guarantees a low level paying job at best.
That is an untrue statement. Perpetuating that untrue statement is a large part of the current problem.

Quote:
Finishing college shows you can get a job done, take instruction, and have the ability to accomplish something bigger than yourself.
No, depending on major and school, it often means only that a person was willing to sit in a classroom and then regurgitate the instructor's lectures and notes on command.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I bolded what I think is part of the problem. For some reason some people think that a degree is the ticket to immediately get top pay right out of the gate. I saw this constantly teaching, especially my last ten or so years, with first year teachers wondering when they'd get upkicked to Department Chair or Administration and why was it taking so long. This was their first semester teaching.

One guy in particular I remember. He taught Business and did nothing but complain about his first year teacher salary (@$40K or so). He also claimed that all he ever wanted to do since he could remember was to teach. Talk about a disconnect.

He quit in April, so didn't even finish out his first year.
At least a few years ago, those $40k jobs were previously entry level were demanding qualifications that new grads wouldn't have.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I bolded what I think is part of the problem. For some reason some people think that a degree is the ticket to immediately get top pay right out of the gate.
"For some reason?"

It's because that's what everyone has been telling them explicitly since first grade.

Both of those guys have the potential of eventually earning $90K...or not.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That is an untrue statement. Perpetuating that untrue statement is a large part of the current problem.

No, depending on major and school, it often means only that a person was willing to sit in a classroom and then regurgitate the instructor's lectures and notes on command.
I'll rephrase....all jobs I looked at wanted at least a Bachelor's, warranted or not. Not waiting tables or bar tending, but professional level jobs. Wanna be a diesel tech? Still gotta have a cert or degree. I don't agree with it, but I am seeing the game has to be played. Yes, there are skilled labor jobs that may not require one, but not many.

And regarding your second statement, no matter what the circumstances are to complete the requirements, a student still has to do so, which presupposes what I have already stated. On a side note, higher education is WAY over-rated, but either way, one still has to stick to commitments, finish a job (requirement), and show they can follow through, regurgitating or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment