Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
They are very much approaching Bay Area rents for Boston proper. I'd much prefer to live in Salem than downtown. I knew a girl who split a room with three other girls. Her PART of the rent was $1000 a month, and that was 2015!
One of the guys was in house sharing situation with either three or four other guys in the same boat. I think they paid something like $800 each. The rent was manageable, but you're still living with several other guys.

He ended up taking a transfer to Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Non-auto industry, but still union, worker here. Every company is different.
I’ll say when you work on the assembly line you work when the line is moving and corporate decides that.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’ll say when you work on the assembly line you work when the line is moving and corporate decides that.
I can see that.

Don't know how true this is, but on a tour of the BMW plant in SC, we were informed that if an employee stops the production line, they are fined $1000 a minute.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:39 PM

225 posts, read 150,118 times
Quote:
[...] Don't know how true this is, but on a tour of the BMW plant in SC, we were informed that if an employee stops the production line, they are fined $1000 a minute.
How would that work out legally?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenwald View Post
How would that work out legally?
Maybe it's a scare tactic to influence certain types of outcomes:

1. Make your point in how important it is not to hold up the production line
2. If someone does, fine the employee
3. Employee will likely quit than have the next 5-10 days' pay go back into his employer's pocket.

If SC's unemployment laws were fairly generous, I could see an employer being tempted to do exactly that, or threaten to, so the employee acts in a knee jerk reaction before the employer can actually try to follow through with anything illegal.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I can see that.

Don't know how true this is, but on a tour of the BMW plant in SC, we were informed that if an employee stops the production line, they are fined $1000 a minute.
Yep when I worked on the line at Chrysler if you stopped the line for any reason except an emergency you were written up no money was was fined because the UAW would never allow that. Because when the line goes down the company loses money.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Maybe people should be a locksmith (They make pretty good money. They generally cost about $100 or so a visit, or so I think I recall from my brief time as a call center rep for a safe company.) That way, they'd be able to open doors easier than by going to college.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Maybe people should be a locksmith (They make pretty good money. They generally cost about $100 or so a visit, or so I think I recall from my brief time as a call center rep for a safe company.) That way, they'd be able to open doors easier than by going to college.
For a good career try being a skilled tradesmen like an electrician, plumber, carpenter, and another great career is a too and die or a mold maker because everything that is made out of plastic is made with an injection plastic molding machine witch requires a mold. Electricians at a union plant like Ford Motor Company make $35-$38 an hour plus benefits.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Quote:
I can see that.

Where I just retired from, the policy is that if an employee stops a production line, and their manager finds that the employee discovered a design or production problem, that employee gets a bonus. Also gains points on their performance evaluation which counts toward a raise, and potential advancement.
I guess it depends on the reason. If the stoppage is due to employee problems, it might be true. If it is due to a design problem, it probably isn't. One vehicle recall can cost massive amounts of money as well as reputation dings.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:57 AM

237 posts, read 870,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
These degrees are required for any decent level paying job. That being said, NOT having a degree guarantees a low level paying job at best. Finishing college shows you can get a job done, take instruction, and have the ability to accomplish something bigger than yourself. Sure, it's not a promise to wealth and riches, but it's a MUCH better chance at it. I finish my Master's in December. I don't expect it to hand me a six figure income, but at least I can apply for some positions that I could not apply for previous to having a grad degree.
another reason degree is important - masters, mba, much easier to get later on (if you decide to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment