Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,282,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
College degree is the new HS diploma. At my local supermarket, nearly everyone working there has a college degree. Years ago when I worked in groceries, it was all ex-cons and high school drop outs.

Years ago when I worked in a grocery store it was about half college students. The other half were employees who were paid enough to raise a family, and were doing their best to dot the i's and cross the t's so they wouldn't get fired so the company could open up a new position so they could pay a college student less. Now many of the grocery stores start at minimum wage and the pay doesn't get much better with time. The stores also don't want to give people full-time work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 11:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,459,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Years ago when I worked in a grocery store it was about half college students. The other half were employees who were paid enough to raise a family, and were doing their best to dot the i's and cross the t's so they wouldn't get fired so the company could open up a new position so they could pay a college student less. Now many of the grocery stores start at minimum wage and the pay doesn't get much better with time. The stores also don't want to give people full-time work.
Really? There were grown men with a wife and multiple children working a register full time? Paying a mortgage, car note, etc.? What was the hourly pay years ago?

Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,282,452 times
Some statistics on educational attainment:

Most people do not have college degrees. Currently, the national statistic is around 33% over the age of 25 have a bachelor's degree.

This figure has increased from 24% in 2000, then 28% in 2010, to the 33% we have now. That's a fair increase, but it doesn't explain what is going on with college graduates and employment now.

This college graduate unemployment/underemployment problem is something that started after the recession. It has occured during past recessions, but it didn't persist for long.

Employer expectations have changed and they have a misunderstanding about the role of higher education. For some reason employers think universities are supposed to provide job training. That was never the case. A bachelor's degree is a basis of knowledge behind a discipline. The requirements for a specific degree include topics like physics and math for civil engineer, or biology, physiology, chemistry, and anatomy for students seeking medical degrees. The real on the job training comes in the form of apprenticeships and residency programs for some graduates. In the past, graduates with other degrees were simply hired on and learnt the rest of it in their career. Employers now expect students with all different types of degrees to take on internships and volunteer work. This may sound good. However, there just aren't enough internships available to give any more than a very small fraction of students this opportunity. Volunteering isn't much better. And since most of them don't pay they add additional expenses to the budget which many students can't afford. I'll also add that these getting these internships and volunteer "opportunities" are just as bad, if not worse, than searching for a job. Many of them want experience and have other unreasonable expectations for unpaid work.

Then, after all this, employers can't seem to figure out why so many graduates have less than enthusiastic attitudes from applicants when they are offering a salary of $32,000 a year for something that graduates could walk into for $38,000 ($55,000 after adjusting for inflation) twenty years ago.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,907,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? There were grown men with a wife and multiple children working a register full time? Paying a mortgage, car note, etc.? What was the hourly pay years ago?
Years ago it was possible to make a middle class living working as a supermarket clerk, particularly a union shop. But the stores usually have two-tier contracts, the new hires won't get what the older employers were getting.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,907,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Supermarkets full of college graduates now? Jeeshh...
Indeed, but you won't find anyone with a computer science or an engineering degree stuck working there.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,092,417 times
Quote:
Indeed, but you won't find anyone with a computer science or an engineering degree stuck working there.
You sure about that?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM

30 posts, read 18,043 times
Quote:
Well I've known multiple comp sci/MIS grads in the "gig economy." Depending on the gigs worked, having a position at a grocery store would - from a certain perspective - be a step up, because of the income stability inherent to that type of salaried job.

Applying for a grocery job with a comp sci or engineering degree still isn't straightforward. An applicant should be prepared to leave any college degree off the resume, at the very least.

It's a common misconception that a comp sci degree is a sure thing in the job world. Actually, the entry-level positions are nonexistent, having been offshored or outsourced to on-site H1B subcontractors.

Last edited by logical10x; 08-31-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 12:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 8,933,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes. They were actually considered skilked jobs. Produce, meat cutter, etc. You dont see these jobs any more. Stock clerk was the high school kids making date money.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:47 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Well I've known multiple comp sci/MIS grads in the "gig economy." Depending on the gigs worked, having a position at a grocery store would - from a certain perspective - be a step up, because of the income stability inherent to that type of salaried job.

Applying for a grocery job with a comp sci or engineering degree still isn't straightforward. An applicant should be prepared to leave any college degree off the resume, at the very least.

It's a common misconception that a comp sci degree is a sure thing in the job world. Actually, the entry-level positions are nonexistent, having been offshored or outsourced to on-site H1B subcontractors.
I have IT grads working as baristas in my favorite Starbucks.

It's great for me--those very smart folks are able to remember the names and favorite drinks of hundreds of regular customers. But it's not great for them.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:48 PM

45,115 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes. They were actually considered skilked jobs. Produce, meat cutter, etc. You dont see these jobs any more. Stock clerk was the high school kids making date money.

I don't know what groceries are in your area but the ones here all have regular produce guys as well as a manager as does the meat department with meat cutters and a manager.

For the meat department there are a couple people where I shop who do only seafood, that's at both groceries. One is a national chain while the other is a regional one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment