Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 8,179 times

Advertisements

The degree is not supposed to be the rich girl or rich boy's finishing school before they take over thier parent's business.

The degree should be in the form of the apprenticeship training.

College should start earlier. By tenth grade you should have six years of math, science and literature. This should be a strong preparation for college which should be 1 year of liberal arts, since our neighbors seem to want this, plus one to two years of your career choice, be it engineering, math teacher, business sales/marketing, law, medicine, psychology or sociology.
So highschool should be limited to 10 years.
College to 3 years.
The degree should be for job preparation, not a rich girl or rich boy's prep and finising school. It should be an apprentice ship that trains skilled people from plumbers to engineers to teachers to doctors to executives to business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 03:43 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumb123 View Post
The degree is not supposed to be the rich girl or rich boy's finishing school before they take over thier parent's business.
Well, that's actually what college originally was, outside of medicine, pretty much right up to the passage of the GI Bill in America

Quote:
No. Pretty much by definition, "apprenticeship" indicates a trade.

Quote:
College should start earlier. By tenth grade you should have six years of math, science and literature. This should be a strong preparation for college which should be 1 year of liberal arts, since our neighbors seem to want this, plus one to two years of your career choice, be it engineering, math teacher, business sales/marketing, law, medicine, psychology or sociology.
Rather, kids should be tracked from about 8th grade either into an academic-prep curriculum leading to a high school diploma qualifying for additional academic study to a professional degree (that is, with a post-graduate goal) or a technical-prep curriculum leading to a high school diploma qualifying for addtional training toward a master craftsman degree.

And many fields need to be re-categorized. Programming, for instance, should be in the tech-prep curriculum terminating as a master coder.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:

College to 3 years.
The degree should be for job preparation, not a rich girl or rich boy's prep and finising school. It should be an apprentice ship that trains skilled people from plumbers to engineers to teachers to doctors to executives to business owners.
The education cartel has to be convinced, or compelled, to change their thinking.

I went for a traditional liberal arts major before switching to business school. I have enough hours for that second liberal arts major, as well as enough hours for two more liberal arts minors. While interesting and certainly "horizon expanding," those courses didn't do anything for me professionally.

The liberal arts have their place, but the skills gained there generally do not translate well to the corporate world, or the skills you do gain (writing, critical thinking, etc.) are simply "inferred" by hiring managers.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 AM

184 posts, read 205,323 times
Degrees are still worth it if you major in something useful, science, nursing, engineering, programming, etc. That being said, I'm a teacher making about 38k a year in a low COL state. Its a long story but I have a college degree, and this is my first job and I'm 30. After graduating college at 23, I spent 3 years unemployed, my ma let me live with her and I fed myself with food stamps, then I got into med school, did 3 years there couldn't pass the board exams, had to move BACK home and now got a job as a teacher this year with no experience. I'm miserable as a teacher but most places are so hurting for science teachers they hire you on the spot. I will only teach here 1 year then try for something different in the medical field.

Last edited by kgpremed13; 09-17-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Quote:

College to 3 years.
Currently, high school is 4 years. Why the increase to 10?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, that's actually what college originally was, outside of medicine, pretty much right up to the passage of the GI Bill in America

No. Pretty much by definition, "apprenticeship" indicates a trade.

Rather, kids should be tracked from about 8th grade either into an academic-prep curriculum leading to a high school diploma qualifying for additional academic study to a professional degree (that is, with a post-graduate goal) or a technical-prep curriculum leading to a high school diploma qualifying for addtional training toward a master craftsman degree.

And many fields need to be re-categorized. Programming, for instance, should be in the tech-prep curriculum terminating as a master coder.
They already are trying to track kids by 8th grade into a career. It's something I'm fighting against.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
They already are trying to track kids by 8th grade into a career. It's something I'm fighting against.
I didn't say track into a "career." High school should no more track a kid into being, specifically, a plumber or a mechanic than it should track a kid into being, specifically, a lawyer or a doctor.

But even kids themselves know to a great degree of accuracy by the time they've completed the 8th grade whether they're inclined towards a "scholarly" life or a "practical" life.

The American education industry today pretends otherwise and tries to shoehorn everyone into pursing college, when in fact, only about 25% of even Millennials have gotten a college degree. But by pretending that everyone is going to college, the education industry does these things wrong:

1. It fails to give the best service to that 70% that doesn't get a college degree. Those kids then don't even get a solid practical education, truly learning basic algrebra, plane geometery, technical reading, technical writing, small business economics, electronics, mechanics, et cetera, that would prepare them for advanced technical training after high school. They don't get the robust tech-prep curriculum they need to succeed.

2. It fails to give the best service to the 30% that will go on to a college degree. In order to get the maximum number of kids through a "college prep" curriculum--including the ones who don't intend to go to college--the college-prep curriculum is watered down so that nearly everyone can pass it. Those kids going to college don't get the robust program then need to succeed.

3. It necessarily tells the lie that every college degree is going to get them a job. That lie is necessary because the watered-down college-prep curriculum isn't preparing them for the high-paying degree pursuits, and it's putting kids through the door who aren't really prepared for college at all.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
What one should do before starting into college, is first research and see if the type of degree you seek, will pay a decent income. A great source is the U.S. Government Bureau Of Labor that keeps studying the jobs and incomes they pay.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#00-0000

If you do this study, and the profession pays, $15 an hour, then don't complain when someone you knows makes $100 an hour, and think you should get the same even though the jobs are completely different.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What one should do before starting into college, is first research and see if the type of degree you seek, will pay a decent income. A great source is the U.S. Government Bureau Of Labor that keeps studying the jobs and incomes they pay.

If you do this study, and the profession pays, $15 an hour, then don't complain when someone you knows makes $100 an hour, and think you should get the same even though the jobs are completely different.
Although it's not impossible for things to change drastically and suddenly, as the class of 2008 discovered.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:43 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Easy fir an adult to say. But the people making these decisions are 15,16,17 years old in high school. They don't know enough to know that data is there and the ones advising them are the ones pushing college for everyone. They are taking the advise of trusted adults and it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment