Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 PM

801 posts, read 544,152 times

Advertisements

per diem literally mean 'for each day.' It has nothing to do with whether or not you get to choose to work. The word you are looking for is 'optional'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 PM

44,274 posts, read 19,936,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Per diem means whatever the person telling you the phrase wants it to mean.
Exactly. It depends on the context in which the term is used. If you're not certain what the employer means when they use a particular term, you should ask them to clarify so that you know you are on the same page.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:06 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,875,122 times
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Per diem just means "per day" in Latin.

When referring to travel or living expenses, it means a fixed amount that they give you to cover your daily expenses; you can spend more out of your own pocket, or you can spend less and keep the difference. It is just extra pay for being on the road or in a remote location, and is usually non-taxable.

When referring to a work arrangement or contract, it means they use you when they need you, and pay you a fee for each day that you work, not a salary or guarantee. It also implies that they can't make you work for less than a day (or a day's pay) but I don't know for a fact that that is the case.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,597,125 times
I am a PRN social worker for a hospital. I am scheduled for at least 40 hours a month, broken into 8 and 12 hour shifts. It's also "on call" so I can be at home for 8 hours or for no hours depending on what the hospital needs. I can also fill in for day shifts when they are waiting to hire a position or someone takes off for vacation/is sick.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 PM

31,656 posts, read 26,523,725 times
Some of you have the wrong end of stick.

Per diem is Latin for "per day". Long familiar to nurses and other healthcare fields it also is increasingly used for other temporary employment as well.

The thing simply means one is called to work "per day" as needed. This could be one, three or whatever days per week.

Nursing traditionally used per diem nurses to fill unexpected staff shortages caused by those calling in sick/absent and or otherwise need to fill a temporary vacancy (planned or unplanned).

https://allnurses.com/new-jersey-nur...er-201880.html

https://allnurses.com/agency-nurses/...es-148141.html

https://nurse.org/articles/highest-p...in-california/

Where per diem differs from say temporary is that the former often are compensated for their travel, meals and so forth. They normally however do not receive PTO and other bennies.

Labor Laws & Per Diem | Chron.com

Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,384,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I assumed per diem meant that you could work as many hours or as little hours as you want.

So can agencies stop offering you hours if you only work 8 hours a week?

Per diem also means I could take a vacation any time i want to,for how many days i want-is that correct?
I think so. lol.
Im per diem x ray technologist and work as much or as little as I want to. I currently work only at 1 hospital, but I could take employment at as many hospitals as I want to, working per diem and basically create the perfect schedule for myself. I also get paid more an hour than full time and part time and like you said, I can take my vacation whenever I want to. It works out great.
Of course I get no benefits but Im covered under my husband so it's ok.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I assumed per diem meant that you could work as many hours or as little hours as you want.

So can agencies stop offering you hours if you only work 8 hours a week?

Per diem also means I could take a vacation any time i want to,for how many days i want-is that correct?

Much depends upon how employer in question sets up per diem slots.

Many post what is available and or people sign up listing days/hours they wish to work. Thus per diem workers can do as much or little employment as they wish.

Browse these various per diem employment listings to get an idea:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Per-Diem

Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think so. lol.
Im per diem x ray technologist and work as much or as little as I want to. I currently work only at 1 hospital, but I could take employment at as many hospitals as I want to, working per diem and basically create the perfect schedule for myself. I also get paid more an hour than full time and part time and like you said, I can take my vacation whenever I want to. It works out great.
Of course I get no benefits but Im covered under my husband so it's ok.
Yes per diem are often paid more, just as with travelers and often other temporary employees. Basically such persons are getting what FT or even some PT would get if they received straight wages instead of a compensation package.

OTOH such workers much keep careful tax records because come filing time they can get hammered. If employer didn't withhold FICA then they will be liable for full amount (employee and employer portions), not to mention possibly being subject to penalties for insufficient withholding and or making required estimated quarterly tax payments.

Of course then you have fact unlike FT employees there isn't any healthcare benefits deducted for and thus provided.

Per diem like self employment can be great for many people. But they must understand the financial and tax implications. Many at first simply look at those "big" paychecks, totally ignoring or forgetting to put money away for paying taxes. Then comes 15 April.......

Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,384,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes per diem are often paid more, just as with travelers and often other temporary employees. Basically such persons are getting what FT or even some PT would get if they received straight wages instead of a compensation package.

OTOH such workers much keep careful tax records because come filing time they can get hammered. If employer didn't withhold FICA then they will be liable for full amount (employee and employer portions), not to mention possibly being subject to penalties for insufficient withholding and or making required estimated quarterly tax payments.

Of course then you have fact unlike FT employees there isn't any healthcare benefits deducted for and thus provided.

Per diem like self employment can be great for many people. But they must understand the financial and tax implications. Many at first simply look at those "big" paychecks, totally ignoring or forgetting to put money away for paying taxes. Then comes 15 April.......
They take taxes out of my check....

Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,029,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
They take taxes out of my check....
Mine too. I worked this way for a while after the hospital I had been at for a few years went to mandatory 12 hour shifts while I was on maternity leave.

I did get paid quite a bit more per/hour than when I was on staff. It was also unpredictable.

I could be on PICU (pediatric icu) on Monday. In Denver at DRDC (Dept of Corrections intake) on Tuesday. A nursing home/LTC on Wednesday. Outpatient surgical on Thursday, etc ...

And then the next week; nothing for 3 days straight. I did not get health care benefits, nor savings plan deductions, no overtime pay, etc. But they did take taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment