Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:52 AM

21 posts, read 20,303 times

Advertisements

If after a few attempts of trying to conversate with said person and still no response I would start to ignore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedardra View Post
...and completely ignores you, do you still say good morning and/or goodbye or do you complete ignore them right back? Curious what others do.... Thanks.
Hee hee hee...Oh yes I do! (Or did)

Previous job had me working beside many people. One was a supporter of the democratic party person and when he found out I supported the conservative candidate, well I'd say "Good Morning (Name) and he'd always grunt in reply. It was never a "Contest of wills" I was simply showing others that I was "Tolerant"....

(Believe it or not, there was a good split of people for both sides, but for some reason this one worker hated everyone of those who voted for the Conservative winner. Everyone else got along)

Old 07-13-2018, 01:07 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I could care less who likes me at work. I'm not there to make friends.

Thankfully my current position is the best one I've ever had. Been here 4 years and everyone gets along.... boss is mellow... and there is no drama.

I've had positions in the past however where people didn't like me and kept their nose in the air. Good for them. I didn't lose any sleep over it. If they chose to ignore me I did the same. I didn't go out of my way to be friendly to them and only conversed when it was required for work.
That's a good mindset and I'm not being sarcastic

Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I work with a lady that used to be pretty much my best friend.

I don't know what happened, but we're not best friends anymore. We're just work associates now. I'm kind of hurt that we're NOT friends anymore, but it's kind of here nor there. Sometimes, we barely talk, except the bare minimum, to get the jobs done. Other times, it's all a little warmer.

For me, at this point 'in the game', I stay polite, but I just don't go out of my way anymore. It gets emotionally exhausting for me, always churning on what went wrong, why does she treat me the way she does, etc. I don't know why she does what she does. I get tired of guessing.

So my advice is; Remain civil, always. You're at work. After that, do what you need to do to be sane. If it makes sense to you to try some friendly chit chat, or compliment her hair or something, than do so. If it makes more sense to you that day to otherwise ignore her than do that. Who really knows what's going on in her head. You can only really control YOUR actions.

Best of luck.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
It is professional to say hello or good morning to co-workers.
At some place I worked, you could be called into HR if you failed to say good morning or hello. They'd want to know why and what was wrong.

Even if someone was a jerk to me, I guess I'd say good morning to them because I don't have a choice. But that's all I would do. Nothing else.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I would either not pay attention to them any longer or, if I were feeling feisty I'd make them give me a reaction by being super animated.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
do every thing you can to aggravate them, be nice, bring cookie, talk to them. drive them wacko

Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Fine with me. One less jerk I have to talk to.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know a girl at work. There is something about her that is off...We just don't click.
And despite of what you read here coming from me. I really am a nice person. I always treat people with respect...even if they don't deserve it. I care about people and I am funny. I make people laugh. I am goofy and I am not ashamed of admitting my mistakes. If you are my friend I treat you like my family.

Well...this girl...it's like she has zero personality. She hardly ever smiles, laugh at jokes. She is always cranky. At least around me and some other people. She is also rude to new employees, to students who do their clinical rounds at our hospital. So it is just not me. And that is my point OP. IF she is like this to you, she likely is like this to others as well. So do what I do. Be professional towards her. She is the one who will end up looking like a fool.
Just because she never smiles does not mean she is rude....geez

Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 PM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
I'll say hi back to all people in the hall ways at work, that's just being polite. But there are certain people that I don't go out of my way to be extra nice to. If we cross paths and they don't say a thing to me, I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. Let's face it, it's impossible to click with everyone and that's alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment