Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were poor, but desired to become wealthy, where should you move to or live?
Liberal/left-leaning/blue state or region 45 51.72%
Conservative/right-leaning/red state or region 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,193,547 times

Advertisements

I don’t but know if it is so much about “red state vs blue state”, but more a question of resources, and what you are able to do with them. I grew up in an economically-depressed area of a very blue state, and later moved to an area of a blue state that has limitless opportunities for people who wish to be upwardly mobile. Both are expensive places to live, but the main difference is there are so few opportunities in the former, while in the latter, if you are willing to hustle you will succeed. But it’s what you make of it: if you aren’t willing to get your **** together and go out and work for it, you probably won’t succeed anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:09 AM

326 posts, read 197,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

You would need to go to a major metro area that has the most employers in your field/level of expertise.
Pretty much. That's why I'm here. Work is absolutely crazy right now. I'll have 80 hours for the week by end of shift today and this project is running thru September... shortly before I go on vacation.

It's times like this where I'm glad I'm hourly.

I have no family here. They're all on the east coast. Gotta make a living though and for what I do there isn't any place that beats Seattle metro IMO. A very strong economy in this area.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 AM

1,858 posts, read 1,636,093 times
No matter where you go, there you are.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,109,516 times
I want to open a cattle company. Ultimately, I want to have around 50K head. I think I will start my Business in NYC. It won't be too bad, the cattle can live in the apartment next door for the first few years.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,976,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I want to open a cattle company. Ultimately, I want to have around 50K head. I think I will start my Business in NYC. It won't be too bad, the cattle can live in the apartment next door for the first few years.
Just make sure it is a 2 bedroom apt next door.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:22 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,042,172 times
I think one's physical location is less important than their drive, motivation, self-discipline, willpower, and the skills that they choose to develop in order to bring to the marketplace.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,594,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
What does matter: consider living in a state that doesn't have state income tax: Texas, Florida, Alaska, Washington and Wyoming. Also, "And residents of New Hampshire and Tennessee are also spared from handing over an extra chunk of their paycheck on April 15, though they do pay tax on dividends and income from investments."

I know wealthy Californians who moved out because their taxes are insane. One moved to Texas, the other to Florida.

Alley
You might want to go into the Florida boards and look at the people there complaining that wages there are 1/3 to 40% lower than they are in other areas. Simply saving 5-10% on state income tax (and in many states it is much less than that) doesn’t make up for taking a HUGE cut in salary. I lived in Florida and the salaries were so depressed there compared to where I could make elsewhere because everyone was trying to move there. The home prices weren’t particularly low, the insurance costs across the board were high, and property taxes were okay, but not incredible.

Texas also has high property taxes in many areas and no public transport, so you do end up paying somewhere, just in a different area. I think the benefit of Texas is that the wages are still relatively high there, but property values are shooting up and it isn’t as good a value as it used to be. This is common in many of the other larger Southern cities such as Nashville.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 5,203,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Mostly correct, but technically, Microsoft was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in April 1975. Gates and Allen moved Microsoft to Bellevue, WA in Jan. 1979, and to its current location in Redmond, WA in Feb. 1986. Gates and Allen were both from Seattle, hence the move of the company to their home metropolitan area.

https://news.microsoft.com/facts-abo...ImportantDates
Im pretty sure that post was sarcasm. None of those billionaires named began their companies in NY.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:16 AM

326 posts, read 197,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You might want to go into the Florida boards and look at the people there complaining that wages there are 1/3 to 40% lower than they are in other areas. Simply saving 5-10% on state income tax (and in many states it is much less than that) doesn’t make up for taking a HUGE cut in salary.

I did the opposite... moving from FL to WA in 2010 and getting a huge increase (about 40%) in salary. Outside of housing my everyday expenses aren't all that different. The weather is much more comfortable too.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,727,185 times
I'm in it doesn't matter where you live unless it's a place where unemployment is high. If you have to have a second job pushing a broom you get a second job pushing a broom. If you have to drive a beater car to not have a car payment, then you drive a beater car. Your one and only goal is to save a nice down payment to buy a rental property, or to invest a healthy amount into mutual funds or the stock market. Nothing else matters nor interferes with achieving that goal, especially not politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment