Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Of course it would be like 75% less money but what can be better than being around dogs and getting exercise? Your thoughts?
Become a fugitive. Then you can get both of those, and better yet, no need to worry about retirement; you will find that the state will give you housing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Of course it would be like 75% less money but what can be better than being around dogs and getting exercise? Your thoughts?
Several years ago, I read a woman did this. She was an executive and decided to quit to be a dog walker. She turned it into a business.

If that is what you want, figure out how to make it work. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 AM

250 posts, read 182,042 times
I owned a pet sitting business for 3 years. But I have a spouse who works a corporate job with health benefits, 401k, etc. So it was doable for me. And yes, the human clients were more of a PITA than the pets.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Health insurance is the biggest issue here---do NOT ignore it..

Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
I know a couple of people who do this for a living. They are very driven entrepreneur types. Very people oriented, though very skilled with dogs as well. You have to be the whole deal. Health insurance is irrelevant here, but liability is very important.

I work in a shelter, have worked in a dog daycare/kennel and for municipal animal control. There are way more people in the world who think they want to work with animals than those who can actually do it for any length of time.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I won't address the practical considerations as they have been discussed in prior posts but for the OP (and for anyone else considering this) you need to be good with dogs. Being good with dogs is not the same as liking/loving dogs but you understand their behaviors and know what they will react to. For example, what interactions with other dogs and other people are safe and appropriate for that particular dog. You need to know what is normal behavior for a dog and what are indications that the dog isn't feeling well. It would also be helpful if you have experience dog training. The job is not quite as simple as it sounds.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 AM

643 posts, read 329,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I won't address the practical considerations as they have been discussed in prior posts but for the OP (and for anyone else considering this) you need to be good with dogs. Being good with dogs is not the same as liking/loving dogs but you understand their behaviors and know what they will react to. For example, what interactions with other dogs and other people are safe and appropriate for that particular dog. You need to know what is normal behavior for a dog and what are indications that the dog isn't feeling well. It would also be helpful if you have experience dog training. The job is not quite as simple as it sounds.
Watch Judge Judy for awhile.
Many cases involving dogs attacking other dogs and also cases involving dog walkers/pet sitters getting sued when the dogs they are entrusted to bites other peoples' dogs while out walking.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Can you afford to live on a dog-walker's income, or would you have to downsize?

I have a niece who was a dog-walker. This worked fine for years, until she sustained an injury, and could no longer walk dogs. Convalescing took months, she ran out of funds, de-camped to a cheaper city, and still had to put up a Go-Fund-Me page.

There's no temporary disability leave or other benefits, in operating your own dog-walking business. Your SS tax (self-employment tax) doubles, because you pay both the employee's portion AND the employer's portion, since you are both. No retirement contribution or 401K. No group health insurance.

Think carefully, before you take the plunge. Also, locate yourself in a region that doesn't have horrible weather for months on end. Learn what to do, if the doggies don't get along with each other.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:23 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
A friend's husband did this about 12 years ago, after he kept failing the CPA exam. He started his own dog-walking business. Meanwhile she is in a high-level corporate job, so I'm guessing that helped (although she seemed very aggravated about it initially). I don't know if this is still their situation (I'm not in close touch with her) but that was before apps like Rover.com were popular.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Stress avoidance is a major factor in self employment moves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment