Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:36 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Then you are just as unresourceful and we should run you a benefit too to allow you to go back to school with courses on managing everyday life.

That's your only choices, really? You don't have any neighbors who could give you a lift? You can't use a phone and call the employer? Really? 30 miles...hope they provide a place for you to shower when you get there.

He is young and in school. He probably doesn't have any money or public transit near him.

It's entirely possible he asked a few people and no one could give him a ride and/or lend him a car. I have been in that situation myself when my car broke down on me---most people I know don't have cars so I was scrounging around to borrow one (since the one person I could usually borrow it from, my dad, was out of the state) since I was working outside of the city at the time and on an off shift, public transit might have not been possible. If all else failed, yes, I could've taken car service for more than $50/trip but that's because I am employed and have been for awhile so I could throw some money down if I had to do so.

Some people do not have a lot of options. Be thankful that you do.

BTW-For those making mention of it, I believe he was stopped because he was walking alongside the highway in the middle of the night. Where I am, most officers would stop someone walking alongside the highway in the middle of the night because they might be stranded and it is sort of a dangerous place to be in many cases. I've had officers stop by my car if I just happened to be pulled over on the side of the road during the day.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Ah, no he doesn't. He has a bill. A huge bill to take care of now, because cars don't run on air. Or it is a company car that's being loaned to him. Much easier to get that than walking 20 miles. There will be no follow-up story when he is let go when business slacks off and he has to turn the keys to the company car back to the employer.

You really should get Netflix, cause they have lots of Disney feel-good movies on there, and the plots on them are far more believable than this one. All the sudden it is the 1850s with no other mode of transportation, your horse dies, you are alone, so the single solitaire figure must walk 20 miles to get to the corral to tend to the live stock or the animals will die and he will loose the farm. Such grit, such might as the figure continues to walk non-stop for 20 miles into the wilderness of the night. He's not a man, he's a Saint, a superhero, a direct son of Zeus.
He's got a job to pay the insurance and gas on that bill now. He didn't have a paycheck to pay for uber. I remember my very first job. I was given bus tokens by the homeless shelter. It wouldn't have made sense to pay for a taxi for a job that paid $40/day. A taxi to get to work and a 2nd tax to get back would have cost over $60.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:19 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
You need to be grounded in reality. This person isn't an example of someone who is hard working, it is an example of someone who can't think and be resourceful. It is an example of a company that is using this as self-promotion. If I gave you a $50K car, you would have to pay tax on the value minus $14K which is allowed by the IRS. Just how do you think this guy could afford that? Come on, this is not as it appears. You want to ignore the logic of the whole thing to create some sort of Disney story in your mind to feel good about this.

It isn't negativism to look at the truth. This story doesn't have logic to it. And it paints this employee to be some sort of lost dog who found his way home. A dog can't be expected to use the phone and ask for help, which this guy failed to even consider.

There are many examples of people doing humanitarian efforts, but this simply isn't one of them. It is a story about an unresourceful employee and a CEO who is exploiting it for self-promotion. You can't see that because you don't want to. You want a real good Disney feel-good story, then watch their movies.
Grounded in reality - really? Are you? Do you know this kids entire upbringing and what he's lived through? Can you analyze his mind to find the reason why he chose to walk 20 miles, meaning his life that led up to that decision on his 1st day of work at this company? Is this a story worthy of taking out a pickaxe and shovel, and trying to dig deep to tear it apart?

Unreal how almost every story has people ripping away at it. What's wrong with putting the simple-minded hat on, and enjoying the surface of this story? It has heart to it, and it's refreshing. No guns, no murders, no accidents - just a nice feel good story.

But go ahead back on that wagon of yours and rip away if it makes you feel good.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
The taxes on the car will be more than covered by the $77K that Walter is getting from the Gofundme. https://www.gofundme.com/5pmd8-thank-you-walter

Even if he has to pay taxes on the $77K, still plenty of money left over for the taxes on the car, and then some.

And I agree with the posters above who say that it would be crazy to call a new employer prior to even completing one day on the job and complain about a broken car and ask for help getting to work. If I were the employer, I would just hang up on that call.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Ah no, not really. His only option was to walk 20 miles. I'd say no, he isn't smart enough. Also, if he sells the car to pay the taxes, then he doesn't have a car again and is back to walking 20 miles to the job site. :-)

Do you work? Do you have to be at work in the morning? What would you do if your primary mode of transportation wasn't working the night before? Come on, this is exploiting this unresourceful guy for a PR story. So yes, there IS a problem here. And some of you are buying this nonsense because you makes you feel good.
It really depends on when he realized his car broke down. If it was that day, it might not have been easy to hustle a ride. Plus, a lot of people aren't willing to get up at 5a for a favor.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Ah, no he doesn't. He has a bill. A huge bill to take care of now, because cars don't run on air. Or it is a company car that's being loaned to him. Much easier to get that than walking 20 miles. There will be no follow-up story when he is let go when business slacks off and he has to turn the keys to the company car back to the employer.

You really should get Netflix, cause they have lots of Disney feel-good movies on there, and the plots on them are far more believable than this one. All the sudden it is the 1850s with no other mode of transportation, your horse dies, you are alone, so the single solitaire figure must walk 20 miles to get to the corral to tend to the live stock or the animals will die and he will loose the farm. Such grit, such might as the figure continues to walk non-stop for 20 miles into the wilderness of the night. He's not a man, he's a Saint, a superhero, a direct son of Zeus.
He already has a car and even if it's broke down he can still sell it to cover any taxes. If he had a hoopty, he was probably pouring money into it. I'm guessing the newer car won't be anymore expensive than the junker.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
No mention what a fool the employee is that he wasn't resourceful enough to find another way to work other than walking 20 miles, and didn't plan any sort of contingency if his first choice of transportation didn't work. Many times people can't get their car started in the morning, and they either call a friend to give them a ride, or a co-worker. 20 miles by car isn't that far away, and someone else could have given him a ride there.
Yeah...it's so easy to just call someone and have them give you a ride 20 miles away. Not.

And yeah, all cities have public transportation that makes that kinda trip easy. Not.

And yes, everyone has enough money to pay for an Uber or Lyft or taxi or even a bus to go 20 miles. Not.

And yes, those who live in poverty and don't have their own reliable vehicles are often known for having tons of friends who have their own reliable vehicles and plenty of gas for giving 40 mile round-trip rides to others. Not.

I don't know this young man or his situation, but please refrain from calling a person a "fool" because they aren't "resourceful enough" to find a way to work that doesn't involve walking when that is the ONLY option that is available to many people, such as those who live in areas that don't have public transportation, those who can't scrap together enough money to pay for a bus ticket, etc.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Not very resourceful. I can think of many things to strongly consider doing before walking 20 miles.
Another feel good story like the kid that paid for the meals with quarters and then the Debbie downers climb out of the woodwork. Is it fun looking at life so negatively all the time? I just don't understand it. Are these people just angry because they weren't recognized in the past for doing something nice so lash out at anyone else who does?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Quote:
It shows he can walk 20 miles.

Difficult economy? The unemployment rate is a low 4.0. We are not in the Great Depression.

I find it unbelievable how some people are championing this guy.

And I find it unbelievable how very hard you are trying to discredit him and this story.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
This is ridiculous.

There’s no train system in Alabama to take this young man from Homewood to Pelham.

Uber is currently showing $30.08 for a one-way ride. Would he have arrangements to get back home? Even if he did, could he afford at minimum $30 to get to work? $60 for a round-trip? This was his first day and he hadn’t received a paycheck yet.

Maybe his friends weren’t available or didn’t have a car of their own. Maybe he needed to at least get to someone’s house before he could get a ride. Maybe he didn’t have good friends like that.

All he knew was that he needed to get to work on time and he did as best as he could knowing he needed the job, it was to be his first day, and it surely wouldn’t look good to be calling off and he hasn’t worked his first 15 minutes with the company.

And for the folks against this act, I want to know if Publishers Clearing House showed up at your door tomorrow with the TV camera, flowers, balloons, and a brand new <insert your favorite vehicle here>, would you yell at the Prize Patrol to “stop this publicity stunt and take your vehicle and go back where you came from! I’m not paying taxes for this!!!” Promptly followed by slamming the door in their face. Don’t forget to congratulate yourself on how you just showed them on camera, too!

CityData will not let me rep you enough. Your last paragraph is BRILLIANT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment