Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM

337 posts, read 208,070 times

Advertisements

How huge is that? In other words, working full time 40 hours a week or more, how respectable is that. Doesn't matter what it is that you are doing, how bad the workplace or coworkers/bosses are, or how little you are making, just the fact that you are working full time. How huge is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
If it's your first job, it's huge until you get used to it and start seeing the crummy side to your job.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM

337 posts, read 208,070 times
Haha, yeah I know there comes a point of realization, but trying not to think about the crummy side..just the mere fact you are working full time.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:22 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Haha, yeah I know there comes a point of realization, but trying not to think about the crummy side..just the mere fact you are working full time.
Yeah, there are plenty of crummy jobs to go around.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:21 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
How huge is that? In other words, working full time 40 hours a week or more, how respectable is that. Doesn't matter what it is that you are doing, how bad the workplace or coworkers/bosses are, or how little you are making, just the fact that you are working full time. How huge is that?
How huge is that? The answers are depending on different people's thinking and capability to perform tasks.

In general, every job is important. The world would be a big mess if there are no people to collect garbage and throw them to the dumpsites; and then the people who clean up the dumpsites afterward. The restaurants would not be able to operate without the dishwashing employees...

However, in society, people for sure define some jobs or positions are more important than the others.

Of course people do see scientists, doctors, dentist, lawyers are much more important than garbage collectors, dishwashers or janitors. Why? Because they study so much, they are knowledgeable and smart, they work hard in their fields, they make lots more money, they live in big houses, nice areas, they know how to invest money well and send their children to good schools... You see how different?

In addition, there are people who don’t mind to work more than 40 hours per week because either they want to work more and earn more money or they agree to work overtime when asked because their co-workers call in sick or on vacation. On the other hand, some others may not be willing to work more than 40 hours and even refuse to work overtime when asked because they feel 40 hours is enough and they don't want to do more than what they have to. That’s a huge difference.

Of course people are different because they were born and are raised in different conditions. They have different DNA, cells in their body and neurons in their brain. Therefore not everyone can be a scientist, doctor, dentist, lawyer, IT tech, etc....

I believe everybody dreams and wishes s/he could be better than who s/he is.

The point is you (I mean everyone) really need to have a good look at yourself, to see your strength and weakness. If you want to move up, you have to work your butt off, upgrade your education, and keep looking for a better job. Don’t give up.

You just have to know yourself. Try to change what you can, and learn to accept what you can’t change.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
It's huge to me. I make (Oh, anywhere from $1000-$1,400 a paycheck) twice a month. so with my debt, if I can just stretch it out right I could have my debts gone in 10-14 months.

THEN the job becomes sort of even more important as each and every paycheck fills up the piggy bank of retirement.

Like it has been said here. There's people with a 4 year degree making LESS than I do. I ain't smug, but stunned at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment