Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing rumors at Layoff.off about this and even on Twitter, Sara Blackwell, the person who represented the Disney workers in Florida who got canned by Disney and their Indian body shop ally, is mentioning it:

https://twitter.com/4US_Workers/stat...34783321198596

Can anyone verify this here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:16 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Is State Farm a good or bad company? From what I'm seeing from places like TheLayoff.com, it USED to be good but is going downhill as it appears to be infected with "Greedy Company Syndrome" or GCS for short.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
State Farm has a massive presence in north Texas (they just built a campus in Richardson a few years ago).

I don't work for State Farm, never have...but I know a couple of people who do. They say it has become an H1B body shop for pretty much anything IT-related, from QA to development to project managers to business analysts to systems administrators to database administrators. If you're not from south India, don't even bother applying (that's what I hear).

According to what I've been able to find, State Farm itself doesn't actually sponsor many H1B visas but they use a lot of third-party vendors to fill their IT positions. Basically nobody who works in anything technology-related actually works for State Farm itself. I don't know what vendors they're using...probably some from the "big" shops like Infosys, TCS, Wipro, HCL, Cognizant, supplemented by warm bodies from some smaller local 100% H1B shops. There are dozens in DFW.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
There's probably some truth to this. One possible caveat - IIRC, isn't State Farm HQ'd in a fairly small town in Illinois? Indian immigrants are typically not too fond of American small towns.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
State Farm has a massive presence in north Texas (they just built a campus in Richardson a few years ago).

I don't work for State Farm, never have...but I know a couple of people who do. They say it has become an H1B body shop for pretty much anything IT-related, from QA to development to project managers to business analysts to systems administrators to database administrators. If you're not from south India, don't even bother applying (that's what I hear).

According to what I've been able to find, State Farm itself doesn't actually sponsor many H1B visas but they use a lot of third-party vendors to fill their IT positions. Basically nobody who works in anything technology-related actually works for State Farm itself. I don't know what vendors they're using...probably some from the "big" shops like Infosys, TCS, Wipro, HCL, Cognizant, supplemented by warm bodies from some smaller local 100% H1B shops. There are dozens in DFW.
I have a friend who works in HQ and has been there since the late ‘90s. I haven’t heard anything about his job being in jeopardy, but it is possible that his job duties have changed.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's probably some truth to this. One possible caveat - IIRC, isn't State Farm HQ'd in a fairly small town in Illinois? Indian immigrants are typically not too fond of American small towns.
Bloomington, Illinois. They have offices all over the country, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have a friend who works in HQ and has been there since the late ‘90s. I haven’t heard anything about his job being in jeopardy, but it is possible that his job duties have changed.
I can't speak to what's happening at State Farm anywhere except here at the DFW office.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:08 AM

327 posts, read 236,155 times
Only thing I know about State Farm is their Premiums keep going up.

I have one Paid off Car that is 7 years old (worth about 8k) . One 4 year old car that is almost paid off (worth about 14k.) No accidents, no tickets, 39 years old, married etc etc...Homeowners Policy etc.. and I still pay 160+ for car insurance. I've spent almost an hour on the phone with an agent about a month ago and that is as low as I could comfortably get it.

They blame claims.. but I don't know..If this is true (H1Bs).. wonder what the heck is going on...

Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
Only thing I know about State Farm is their Premiums keep going up.

I have one Paid off Car that is 7 years old (worth about 8k) . One 4 year old car that is almost paid off (worth about 14k.) No accidents, no tickets, 39 years old, married etc etc...Homeowners Policy etc.. and I still pay 160+ for car insurance. I've spent almost an hour on the phone with an agent about a month ago and that is as low as I could comfortably get it.

They blame claims.. but I don't know..If this is true (H1Bs).. wonder what the heck is going on...
They kept raising my rates too. I dumped them a few years ago and switched to Geico. State Farm is such a ripoff.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:00 AM

92 posts, read 99,220 times
Have you noticed that we have had quite a few natural disasters around America these past few years? All the flooding in the East and Midwest, the wildfires in the West, the hurricanes in the Southeast and Texas. All of these insurers have been hard hit with claims these past couple of years.

State Farm lost $7 billion on Auto Insurance in 2016
https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../01/443224.htm

State Farm has 2017 operating loss of $1.7 billion
https://www.pantagraph.com/business/...a82369bd1.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/b...insurance.html

State Farm is expensive on car insurance. Fortunately for me I qualify for USAA.

USAA is based in San Antonio, TX. I have heard from people that live near the USAA Texas HQ that USAA is
using a lot H1Bs in their IT department as well. I don't know if they are actually outsourcing that department though. But honestly, I am not at all surprised that in the face of the recent bad hurricane seasons, the bad wildfire seasons, and the recent flooding in the Midwest and the East coast that these insurers are cost cutting any way they can. They have been suffering huge casualties from natural disasters these past couple years.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
If this is happening, the people responsible for this need to be skinned alive and soaked in battery acid. There is no reason for this kind of greed. This is the stuff that is ruining our country and so many people's lives too--all to thicken the wallets of the higher-ups in the company. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment