Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed working in sales but I wasn't paying rent at the time. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 03:57 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
There is no way you are going to beat a young Woman in face-to-face sales unless it's highly technical and selling to nerds who only like 2-D women. And even then it's a toss up. Now they may not subscribe today but they will hear her pitch just on the strength of her bosom.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:26 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
If you've been in sales for a long time, try "business development" jobs, give your resume a serious makeover and send it to ranstead or something like that, engineering companies are paying insane bonuses for gigs in some sectors.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
I’m 35 and I’m with you. I’ve been in sales for 10+ years. It really wares on you after awhile. Don’t use the “she’s a cute female” excuse. Truth is, a lot of sales is just pure luck no matter how good your spiel is.
That's what the losers say. I have worked with some excellent sales people and most of them were men, and are still leading the sales in their 50s.

Sales is about better prospecting and understanding customer's needs better. Good sales people also don't sit around and wait for the company to give them leads or a call list, they work to find their own.

Sales people call on me all the time in my business, and I'm simply not going to spend $100K with a sales person because she's attractive. That's completely insane. They either have the product and service I need, have built up trust and understand my business needs, or not. But the second I hear many sales people over the phone, to me I hear the defeat in their voice before I even know what they are trying to sell.

Want to improve, find a top sales person with lots of experience to be your mentor, because it is highly likely you aren't even aware of what is hurting your chances.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 PM

255 posts, read 183,911 times
I used to be good at sales. I was just the cashier but always sold the most warranties and signed up the most customers for club cards. I worked at an office supplies retail company. I was good...but yea it gets tiring!

Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Did the OP say anything about NOT being fit?
How do we know he's not?
He's comparing himself to a pretty looking female without mentioning he's got killer looks or a ripped body...If he's superficially looking her over, then maybe so are the customers?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM

740 posts, read 456,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Same here... I don't know how people do sales jobs. I am just not in to pitching anything to people.

... and yeah, I'm buying from the smokin' hot babe before I buy from the guy most of the time.
Sales is not for everyone. But it sure gives the right person the ability to make a lot of money without ever graduating from fancy schools like Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

Two of the most successful people I have the opportunity of meeting and talking to, make millions of dollars a year and they both don't even have a HS diploma.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
There is a reason why all those pharmaceutical companies hire young, good looking females for sales reps.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:33 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I spent my first 16 years out of college working in sales. Retail commission sales, wholesale housewares selling on the road and real estate. I was pretty good at it. The thing I found is that at some point good salesmen will actually sell themselves right out of the business. They find some compelling arguments and use them to pitch themselves the idea that sales isn't for them. You need to guard against this because it sounds like that's what you're starting to do.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There is no way you are going to beat a young Woman in face-to-face sales unless it's highly technical and selling to nerds who only like 2-D women. And even then it's a toss up. Now they may not subscribe today but they will hear her pitch just on the strength of her bosom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There is a reason why all those pharmaceutical companies hire young, good looking females for sales reps.

I agree with both these quotes. With pharmaceutical sales, it's a very specific type of pretty young woman that is hired. She has self assured and reasonably well spoken. She has to have had enough mental fortitude to get through college. Not every pretty woman can make it through the weed out classes of a public university, even for a major like Psychology or Sociology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment