Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around. Not going to be heartbroken if I don’t get an offer either.

Anyone ever had to video themself to send to an interviewer?
Reminds me of some dating service which has you do a video as to why someone should date you. I guess if you're good in sales, it's easy. for some it's not.

I ponder if I'd have done the video....Even for my present job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 PM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
No thank you. That's a ridiculous request. You can find better.
I sent the interviewer an email letting her know that I will not be sending her a video and that I wished her success in finding the right person for the position. Case closed. I feel better walking away.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:41 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around. Not going to be heartbroken if I don’t get an offer either.

Anyone ever had to video themself to send to an interviewer?
In a nutshell, it sounds like very bad management. If the interview were in-person, then the video is pointless. If they want to see how you come across in something like Skype, then interview you there for a few minutes or by someone else in the company. But to make a video of this just with the direction of "why" they should hire you, sounds like something they would ask students to do before running for class president.

Don't be upset with them. If anything, be thankful you got a chance to find out how messed up they are before you accepted a job there.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No! I mean, I've had to Skype before but not record a video. I can sort of see how they'd want to see how you present yourself in a sales job but yeah, that would probably make me feel uncomfortable as well as I'm not a producer and would probably foul it up somehow.
They could just as easily asked for a Skype for the OP to give an example of selling to a prospect. But asking "why" they should be hired, something like something from a cheesy reality TV show.

Speaking of reality, in reality a great sales person does a different sales pitch depending on the actual people they will be dealing with. Not some canned response.

I think the person requesting this doesn't know anything about selling and because of that isn't going to attract the best people.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I think that's a pretty good test. Someone who can produce a viewable video in which they can articulate some ideas in a fairly short time-frame has some obvious useful qualities. Part of my job includes in-person meetings, demonstrations and talks to groups, webinars, etc. I didn't have anything like this in the interview process, but they sure ladled it on in various training classes! Stuff like, "Here's a topic, you have one minute to think about it then present to the group". While being recorded
A video isn't a good test if someone can make a sale to a prospective client or form a relationship. It's only a test to see if they can make a good video. People who sell for a living are a completely different animal than people who run meetings and talk in front of groups. And speaking to someone is only a fraction of what good sales people do. The OP is smart to pass on this situation.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
She TOLD ME that all applicants are required to video themselves. I have 30 YEARS in B2B sales. The position is more entry level IMHO.

“Being recorded” in a training class is one thing....While I can understand having to make a presentation to demo skills...I think it is interesting to expect a sales pitch to pitch for the job. ....frankly...a job I don’t really want.
This sounds more like something a high school guidance counselor came up with for students to do. Not adults for a sales position.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
OMG The job market is great. Tell them you wouldn't do a recorded interview, but are happy to come in for a second round.. Odd...super odd. Maybe they want you to do sales videos. I hope so, otherwise they are weird. Maybe you should contact them and ask why the odd request.
If only they would tell the truth such ask:

OP: Hi, please tell me why you want me to do a video?
HM: Because I'm incompetent, clueless and this isn't a well-run company.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
applied for a fortune 500 company for a back office position and they wanted me to go to a website and do timed video self recording of myself answering their random generated questions, 2 minute time limit per question, and no do overs. This is before i can even talk to the HR recruiter. I said screw that.
It would be funny, if you went in there, and every time they asked you a question on video, you took out your cell phone and played with it until the clock ran out.

HR coming up with more marvelous ideas to justify their existence.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
She TOLD ME that all applicants are required to video themselves. I have 30 YEARS in B2B sales. The position is more entry level IMHO.

And strangely, you couldn't figure that out before applying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
In a nutshell, it sounds like very bad management.

No, it's excellent management. The more rules and regulations government rams down businesses' throats, the more employers will resort to various methods to weed out non-starters.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
Was the original video on the phone? It seems like they want to see you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment