Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mircea;52631795]And strangely, you couldn't figure that out before applying.

Oh I figured that out early on, prior to the interview. Their recruiter contacted ME because of my strong resume and skill set . I took a shot at finding out about the “opportunity”.

My current position is still the leader in what I want to do. I guess that I will stay put until I can’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 04:10 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It would be funny, if you went in there, and every time they asked you a question on video, you took out your cell phone and played with it until the clock ran out.

HR coming up with more marvelous ideas to justify their existence.

I thought that I should hold my resume up to the camera and video that! Lol! But I am a professional.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 AM

236 posts, read 195,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Interviewed for a sales job....website building. It was a good interview but at the end of it she asks all applicants to make a video on “why” she should hire them. Seriously? Really not comfortable making a video that will likely get passed around. Not going to be heartbroken if I don’t get an offer either.

Anyone ever had to video themself to send to an interviewer?
Yes! Its a thing now apparently.....I agree its intrusive. Plenty of jobs where you dont have to do this thankfully!

Old 07-28-2018, 11:43 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

No, it's excellent management. The more rules and regulations government rams down businesses' throats, the more employers will resort to various methods to weed out non-starters.
I don't think it's healthy to blame everything you perceive as unwanted or unnecessary or that you simply don't understand that it all stems from this imaginary force out there.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I thought that I should hold my resume up to the camera and video that! Lol! But I am a professional.
At least you would force them to actually look at it. Now, if they actually read it would be another story.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:08 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
I'd send a clip of Alec Baldwin's "coffee is for closers" monologue.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:32 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
It is a thing now with certain employers. I had to make a video where I answered some questions, based on my experience. It wasn't fun, but apparently is something everyone this employer is seriously considering hiring must do.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 PM

152 posts, read 155,935 times
Lul , that’s way too much. I try not to get offended at interviews but that would turn me off.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:57 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Yes, I was asked to do a video, but that was for an out-of-state teaching job, so I get it.

But, sometimes I'm unsure of what employers want. Last week, I had an interview & was asked to pretend I was renting office space & to sell them the room. I am not in sales, the job did not involve any kind of rentals & I have no idea why it was necessary. I did it... it was embarrassing, but they were happy with my quick pitch. Am I being tested to see how well I follow direction or can address clients? Still, I'm not selling to clients.

BTW, with a vid, could you upload it to YTube, making it private, then allow them to watch it, rather than record something that might be passed around? You could then make it private again once they've viewed it. I get that you're not thrilled with the job, but if you had to do a vid, this way you could have a bit more control over it.

Good luck. It's not an easy process. I had 3 interviews last wk & am still in the process.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
It is a thing now with certain employers. I had to make a video where I answered some questions, based on my experience. It wasn't fun, but apparently is something everyone this employer is seriously considering hiring must do.
And how important of an employer is this? Was it a Fortune 500 company? Was it even publicly traded any of the American stock exchanges?

We have to realize that anyone and I mean anyone can file paper work with their state and create a company. There is nothing to it. You don't even know to have an office, you can use your home address. Now after you got this formed, you have a company name to do business as. Then you post jobs to fill using that business name, and come up with all sorts of misguided requirements for prospective employees and simply tell everyone "Everyone must do this". It means nothing. They aren't any more qualified to hire people or run a company than someone who registers their car at the DMV for license plates. That is about as much work to form a corporation. I know because I've formed them over the years. So now you know how low the bar is to start a company, don't be so fearful and bend to every demand made as part of the job interview process. Anyone that asks you to go through what you feel is hazing, just pass on it. If it doesn't make sense to you, then trust your instincts and resist. The mere fact they are asking for it, is a red flag not to go any further even if they decide you don't need to do it. Cause weeks into the job, you will be kicking yourself you fell for their nonsense.

I'm not talking just about videos. Any of it you feel is pointless. Just like good sales people can size up a prospect to see if this person is going to be a waste of time or someone they can close a sale with quickly. You need to develop those same skills with employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment