Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 02:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You stop panicking like some kindergarten baby and wait until after you speak with the counselor. Odds are your academic dismissal was simply because you withdrew or were failing too many courses, or you let your gpa drop below minimum standards so instead of having you waste space at the school, they kicked you out. But, for crying out loud, it's not the end of the world! You explain things to the counselor and see what they can and will do. Since you say you have a documented medical condition, that can usually mitigate any past failures if related. Come back after the counselings and tell us what occurred; you just may find you jumped the gun on crying!

You have no compassion, what so ever! Perhaps for him, it is the "end of the world".

A really rude, and vicious post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:42 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
You have no compassion, what so ever! Perhaps for him, it is the "end of the world".

A really rude, and vicious post.
Definitely concur on this one. I haven't had it as bad as this individual has. But I do know the feeling of hospitalization and losing one's self for moments in time. I've also been horrible at many forms of math for as long as I care to remember.
Still, shouting down to one with the zero emotion and empathy of a cold hearted, DI isn't going to get everyone any where.

Like I suggested earlier, if all else fails, try another college and give it a head start if things seem to not go anywhere at the current point. If your work schedule isn't bogging you down too much, seek out the math tutoring and clubs that are associated with it. Find some mutual support amongst peers going through the same difficulty and see how it works out.

The way I look at it, trade specializations in a community college and other institutions are fine and just. But the reasons for someone like myself, or the OP wanting to stick to the mathematics, or whatever path, are endless. Yes, one will be able to make a healthy living with a trade or vocational certificate. But further down the line, perhaps they want to get their own ideas and thoughts out to a broader audience. Or maybe even take on some sort of leadership position as opposed to being a "foot soldier" for the duration.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:20 PM

265 posts, read 239,220 times
Thank you all for the support and advice. I guess I will find out next week what the next step is. I registered to another community college, so that might be an option if I can find something I can do there. And for the rude posters, I'm not offended, some people are just rude, and I can live with that. Thanks again, and I will try to update on what happens, I'm not worried its all up to God now.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:02 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
OP.. sorry but IMO you are not college material nor does it seem likely that you will ever be.
But it's nothing to be ashamed of as most students who obtain a four year degree are not college material either. Besides, it's insane to spend money on getting a BA when it likely won't produce a decent ROI as many recent graduates have sadly learned.
Find a trade like haircutting or bicycle repair or start a small service business like car detailing or landscaping.
Hard work will get you much farther than a semi-worthless piece of paper that you wasted years chasing.

And your qualifications to decide the OP is "not college material nor ever will be" are?

Old 07-29-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Never heard of this. Can you name the college?

The dismissal doesn't mean anything. You can enroll in another college and continue with your degree there. Take your transcripts and go there asking for an academic evaluation. College badly need students, so I seriously doubt anyone is going to turn you down.

Get the best professional medical help you can and do what they tell you to do. That's really key.

Academic dismissal (sadly) *does* mean something, and is not inconsequential.

Transcripts from any college/university will be stamped/noted with said actions. This in turn will trigger queries if not outright dismissal upon to any application made to subsequent schools.

Colleges may "badly need" students, but good ones anyway do not (nor cannot for risking all sorts of things including federal aid) keep those on who do not meet minimum academic progress/standards.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Hi I am in need of help. I started college in 2006 at a University. I stopped going in 2009. I moved and started going to a community college nearby to complete an AA in math and science to later transfer to a 4 year again. Well, I found out today that I am that I am “scholastic Dismissal-CC july 09 2018 to Dec 31 2099.†So I believe that means I am kicked out. I have a mental illness, schizo-effective, bipolar type. I have been in and out of mental hospitals since 2010. I finally got better, but anyhow, I dropped a bunch of courses in my time in school and failed. My gpa has been lower than a 2.0 for a long time. I do have documentation that I been in hospitals throughout.

I will see a school counselor next Wednesday to ask for help. I don’t know what else to do. I changed my major, or career goals, from Math and Science, to HVAC program they offer in this school. I don’t know what else I would do in a different community college because none nearby offer it.(HVAC)

Any ideas on jobs or careers you guys know about? I heard about American Career College, a medical assistant program cost 19k. I don’t know what to do, any advice from anyone on a career, would be great, thanks.
Take a deep breath and relax. Academic dismissal is not rare and thus you aren't only one.

If you have been going this process alone, I suggest finding a counselor, family member or anyone else that can act as your advocate during the appeal process. It is important that you calmly and rationally explain reasons for your past poor performance, then what steps you are going to take to "dig out of that hole" so to speak.

If you have physical or mental health issues, by law all colleges/schools must make reasonable accommodation.

Please do *NOT* apply to or even consider any sort of for profit/trade school at this point. Many of them are simply diploma mills that are happy to bilk you out of any or all money possible. This includes enticing you to take out tons of financial aid including student loans. In end if nothing changes you'll be not only stuck with a worthless degree, and or perhaps dismissed again, but may be in debt to tune of thousands of dollars.

If your college will not consider readmission to full time status; ask about "continuing education/part time study. This will allow you to take classes and get your grades back up to proper levels. Find out if your college or one in area offers any sort of programs for *disadvantaged* or *handicapped* students. Know some find the labels distasteful, but sometimes you have to play the hand that is dealt. If it will get you into college and provide the support needed..

Best of luck, and keep your head up!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
And your qualifications to decide the OP is "not college material nor ever will be" are?
The college certainly has the qualifications to make that determination and did.

Which is cruel and which is kind -- to tell someone the truth and set them on a path they can be successful on or tell someone everything is puppy dogs and pansies?

As presented by the OP, attended a four year college for three years 2006-2009 but did not graduate. Then attended a CC, off and on between 2010 and now (eight years) and has not graduated and has been removed from the college for not meeting academic standards.

My advice to the OP is to accept where things stand today and move out from there. There is no shame in not having a college degree. Our society has artificially created that impression but the truth is the trades are vital to this country and economy. Find something you love, whether it's HVAC or electrical or truck driver, whatever it is and seek out that trade. You will be much happier in the long run and not nearly as stressed as striving for grades on an academic path.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:06 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
OP.. sorry but IMO you are not college material nor does it seem likely that you will ever be.
But it's nothing to be ashamed of as most students who obtain a four year degree are not college material either. Besides, it's insane to spend money on getting a BA when it likely won't produce a decent ROI as many recent graduates have sadly learned.
Find a trade like haircutting or bicycle repair or start a small service business like car detailing or landscaping.
Hard work will get you much farther than a semi-worthless piece of paper that you wasted years chasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Reading comprehension and COMMON SENSE.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM

265 posts, read 239,220 times
Quote:

Reading comprehension and COMMON SENSE.
Update. I saw a disability counselor who helped me write an appeal to reinstate. Apparently, this is common and happens. My reason was due to a mental illness that was out of my control. The counselor helped me create a student plan of the courses I will take. She suggested I finish my general education, since I am only 3 classes away from it. So I believe now, that I am college material since the disability counselor suggested I finish those courses instead of just getting a certificate in HVAC. Thanks to those who were supportive and nice, it worked out good.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Update. I saw a disability counselor who helped me write an appeal to reinstate. Apparently, this is common and happens. My reason was due to a mental illness that was out of my control. The counselor helped me create a student plan of the courses I will take. She suggested I finish my general education, since I am only 3 classes away from it. So I believe now, that I am college material since the disability counselor suggested I finish those courses instead of just getting a certificate in HVAC. Thanks to those who were supportive and nice, it worked out good.
That's great to hear. Take your time and take advantage of whatever resources you could muster to get it done. I'm still poking around with what classes will be available and what can leave me with enough time at the end of my work week to travel out for a day trip.

I'd like to be able to leave town for a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment