Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I just checked indeed.com. Over 2000 jobs for senior level people, 10+ years of experience wanted, salary over $145k.

Jobs are out there.
They are!

Again, I truly believe location is a huge factor too! I love Indeed, btw! They pull jobs from most other job seeking websites so you don’t have to go to each one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:24 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
I'm going to chime in here. I found myself at 30 years old troubled by the constant job search and the problems listed here. I returned to school and earned my BSN in Nursing. I have been continually employed for 30 years, I get 10 calls per week for work and I make >$130k/yr.

Get a license....any license.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:24 PM

4,950 posts, read 2,705,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I haven’t found that. I’m in my mid 40’s and have been casually looking to see what else is out there and I have had 2 job offers in the past month with decent salaries. I did decline both as the job I have now is still better but I think there’s more factors to getting a job than just age. Such as experience, location, education, etc.

I also agree that the OP should be applying to jobs that want more experienced individuals as it doesn’t sound like she’s not entry level. As far as what jobs are offering for pay, that also varies by location. I can drive an hour to Chicago and make $5 more an hour than what I’m making at my current job in NW Indiana for the same type of job.
Unfortunately, while you haven't found that, there are many others that have found plenty of age discrimination as well as dumbed down wages and benefits. There are plenty of people with good experience and work ethics who want to work that are simply not finding work despite what is listed on job sites. There is a disconnect somewhere.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
For 20 years I’ve been doing customer service/sales support. I’ve been at my job for 4 years, the job before that 3 years and the job before that 10. I had no problem getting interview and offers with decent salaries. My job now is so stressful that most people are leaving (which makes it more stressful because of all the work that needs to be covered). But now I can barely get interviews....I’ve applied to over 70 jobs....the few interviews I had they seemed to really like me and said they would let me know within a few days (I always send a thank you email after) but I don’t hear back until 2 weeks later with a rejection email. Also I make 47K and most jobs are offering only $12 to $15 per hour. If the market is so great why am I having a more difficult time than I’ve ever had? Why was I getting interviews and offers and now in the last year seem to get no responses or rejections? Why has pay seem to go down so much?
If you don't want the truth, then skip the rest of this.

The truth is within the last 20 years you have not done very two important things. You didn't improve your skills and get beyond an entry-level job. And you didn't build a network of people who can hire you or refer you to be hired at better jobs. The fact there is less if a demand for entry-level jobs is minor. It is you who have not taken the proper actions within the past 20 years which has left you to this situation.

A friend of mine was working at a very large company. He didn't have a college degree. The company offers tuition reimbursed. No one in his department took advantage of it, but he decided to. So he worked full-time and took 1 or 2 classes at a time. It took years, must longer than going to college full-time, but he finished his degree. Within months after he finished the degree, which the company paid for, they had a big layoff. His boss called him into the office not to lay him off, but to discuss his new role with the company after the layoffs were completed. He said to me, he had survivors guilt about many of his friends being let go and he was still there. He said it wasn't their fault. I asked him, "How many of them got a degree like you did during that time?". He said "None of them". Don't underestimate the fact that the situation you are in isn't all someone else's fault. We all have to share in the blame for any lack of success.

The important question is, what are you going to do about this? Are you going to continue on this path hoping things change? Or are you going to work to improve the course you've been on for the last 20 years?

Old 07-28-2018, 03:16 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,705,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
If you don't want the truth, then skip the rest of this.

The truth is within the last 20 years you have not done very two important things. You didn't improve your skills and get beyond an entry-level job. And you didn't build a network of people who can hire you or refer you to be hired at better jobs. The fact there is less if a demand for entry-level jobs is minor. It is you who have not taken the proper actions within the past 20 years which has left you to this situation.

A friend of mine was working at a very large company. He didn't have a college degree. The company offers tuition reimbursed. No one in his department took advantage of it, but he decided to. So he worked full-time and took 1 or 2 classes at a time. It took years, must longer than going to college full-time, but he finished his degree. Within months after he finished the degree, which the company paid for, they had a big layoff. His boss called him into the office not to lay him off, but to discuss his new role with the company after the layoffs were completed. He said to me, he had survivors guilt about many of his friends being let go and he was still there. He said it wasn't their fault. I asked him, "How many of them got a degree like you did during that time?". He said "None of them". Don't underestimate the fact that the situation you are in isn't all someone else's fault. We all have to share in the blame for any lack of success.

The important question is, what are you going to do about this? Are you going to continue on this path hoping things change? Or are you going to work to improve the course you've been on for the last 20 years?
The problem is that many people do improve themselves but still have problems finding work. You can't just say that it is always the employee's fault and the employer just can't be blamed for anything. Yes, there are success stories, but there are also stories of hardworking people doing what they should and yet cannot get hired. Life isn't black and white with complete success always coming to people who aggressively work to improve themselves.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The problem is that many people do improve themselves but still have problems finding work. You can't just say that it is always the employee's fault and the employer just can't be blamed for anything. Yes, there are success stories, but there are also stories of hardworking people doing what they should and yet cannot get hired. Life isn't black and white with complete success always coming to people who aggressively work to improve themselves.
No one is saying any of this. We are going off of what the OP wrote. In the real world, no one should spend 20 years in customer service unless they are progressively taking on larger roles.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
This may be true, but in this case we are going off the OP’s post here and her posting history. She has numerous posts under several handles focusing on issues where people miss work due to worker’s comp leave, people who are late for work, people who leave early from work, and people who are getting promoted over her and are younger than her.

Meanwhile, I am sure the younger people who are getting promoted are not focusing on who is late and who is on leave, but are meeting other people in the office, expressing an interest in learning new skills, agreeing to take on other projects, or volunteering to do something extra that will give them positive visibility. I know in my office we had someone in my office complain about something that was really not a big deal. She applied for a promotion and had the qualifications to get it, but she was not hired. There was absolutely no reason she shouldn’t have gotten it because other people from that role got it with no issue, but my guess was that she had focused on the wrong thing (complaining about a relatively minor issue) and was considered a troublemaker.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're 20 years older now.
This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, that pay rate seems the norm for that job, at least for where I live, and I am in a large metro area.

Whatever you do, don't go beyond 10 -15 years on your resume. Age discrimination is real and it is rampant. Probably keep it at 10 years.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 AM

811 posts, read 621,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
... but my guess was that she had focused on the wrong thing (complaining about a relatively minor issue) and was considered a troublemaker.
Yahtzee.

If given a choice why would an employer hire or promote someone who is:

Lazy?
Unmotivated?
Morbidly obese? (Sorry, but like it or not this is a symptom of self-control issues. Eat less/exercise more.)
A smoker? (or has any other obvious addictions. See: Eating above.)
A busy-body or gossip?
Not enthusiastic about coming to work everyday and giving their best?

Some of you people apparently have no idea what it takes to run a successful business. Hiring people with great attitudes who can do the work and are genuinely happy to be employed is all an employer wants. Very simple; there's no mystery.

Ask any employer (ESPECIALLY small biz owners!) who they're willing to promote first or pay more: A go-getter with a great attitude that wows them or the other 80%.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I can't do delivery and no, the pay if fine. If I wanted, I could have a apt and the bells and whistles. But frankly, why rent when it's making someone else rich?

Plus ask MsChemist he's seen ads for a four year degree people to make $13-$15 an hour That's disgusting!
This is why the idea that a 4 year degree will guarantee you a great income is a myth .

The trades are more in demand now versus a lot of 4 year degrees , especially liberal arts degrees .
But it’s really all about how one applies it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment