Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:30 AM

199 posts, read 129,269 times

Advertisements

For 20 years I’ve been doing customer service/sales support. I’ve been at my job for 4 years, the job before that 3 years and the job before that 10. I had no problem getting interview and offers with decent salaries. My job now is so stressful that most people are leaving (which makes it more stressful because of all the work that needs to be covered). But now I can barely get interviews....I’ve applied to over 70 jobs....the few interviews I had they seemed to really like me and said they would let me know within a few days (I always send a thank you email after) but I don’t hear back until 2 weeks later with a rejection email. Also I make 47K and most jobs are offering only $12 to $15 per hour. If the market is so great why am I having a more difficult time than I’ve ever had? Why was I getting interviews and offers and now in the last year seem to get no responses or rejections? Why has pay seem to go down so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
Because its the new norm.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
I hear you on the pay drop. I left my job in Vancouver, WA at $12.57 an hour (In 2006) AND had benefits up the ying yang. Vac/Sick/401K/free tv's/ (Lay off of 80% of the company, they went to temps then)

I went to Missouri....The average pay there? $6.50 an hour...GASP!! This was your Walmart/Gas Station/Local Grocery store wages. Oh I got lucky and scored a job at $9 an hour in a factory and then after that died out, a remanufacturing company which was a pita, but paid good also. Then moved to Springfield, MO and then after 9 more months came back to Vancouver, WA to only get $8.70 an hour....

In two freaking years, saw average pay DROP $4 an hour....Good God. Right now 10 years later I am only $2.34 higher than I was in 2006....

Old 07-27-2018, 10:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
For 20 years I’ve been doing customer service/sales support.
If the market is so great why am I having a more difficult time than I’ve ever had?
You're 20 years older now.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're 20 years older now.
More specially, 20 years with no career progression. Entry level people make entry level wages.

Also, applying to 70 jobs is nothing.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM

801 posts, read 547,514 times
Quote:
For 20 years I’ve been doing customer service/sales support.
Someone beat me to it..

Apply to jobs that are looking for people with 10+ years of sales experience. That's where your 20 years of experience will stand out in a positive light. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you had gotten yourself some sort of degree that works well with sales.

I am guessing you're in your 40's now and you are trying to get job that people in the early 20's can do. Yea.. Good luck, pal.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 AM

11,086 posts, read 7,149,943 times
There's probably more veiled age discrimination than we realize. And many of the young - in control of hiring now - may especially have their "feelers" out, and senses on high alert to ferret out the older. And in today's heated political zoo, and highlighted awareness and discussion, many of us might be grouped together with troublemakers (older politicians, the rich and the powerful), whether purposeful/conscious or unintentional/unconscious.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM

326 posts, read 199,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I hear you on the pay drop. I left my job in Vancouver, WA at $12.57 an hour (In 2006) AND had benefits up the ying yang. Vac/Sick/401K/free tv's/ (Lay off of 80% of the company, they went to temps then)

I went to Missouri....The average pay there? $6.50 an hour...GASP!! This was your Walmart/Gas Station/Local Grocery store wages. Oh I got lucky and scored a job at $9 an hour in a factory and then after that died out, a remanufacturing company which was a pita, but paid good also. Then moved to Springfield, MO and then after 9 more months came back to Vancouver, WA to only get $8.70 an hour....

In two freaking years, saw average pay DROP $4 an hour....Good God. Right now 10 years later I am only $2.34 higher than I was in 2006....
$14.91 in 2018?

That's gotta be tough.

Our shop is Seattle pays the delivery driver like $20... the skilled trade guys (fabrication, machining, etc) like myself are $25-$40 ... and lots of OT.

Not every job has had the pay tank...

Old 07-27-2018, 12:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
For 20 years I’ve been doing customer service/sales support. I’ve been at my job for 4 years, the job before that 3 years and the job before that 10. I had no problem getting interview and offers with decent salaries. My job now is so stressful that most people are leaving (which makes it more stressful because of all the work that needs to be covered). But now I can barely get interviews....I’ve applied to over 70 jobs....the few interviews I had they seemed to really like me and said they would let me know within a few days (I always send a thank you email after) but I don’t hear back until 2 weeks later with a rejection email. Also I make 47K and most jobs are offering only $12 to $15 per hour. If the market is so great why am I having a more difficult time than I’ve ever had? Why was I getting interviews and offers and now in the last year seem to get no responses or rejections? Why has pay seem to go down so much?
Same boat. I find I am much too old now (@ 36) and they want the young bucks that will take low salaries. I am an experienced professional with 15 years experience. No one wants that.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I don't know you're exact job,but that pay rate is pretty average to what I see for CS/SS jobs around here. They probably know they can't/won't match your current pay, so they don't bother. Apply to jobs more specific, that are looking for 10+ years experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment