Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:55 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,914,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I thought his dream was to start his own company with his savings, not work for someone else. He tried to make his company work, failed, then needed a job. Any job within his field.

Please reread the article. Direct quote from it:

"He said he has since tried to get a job but was unsuccessful".
From the article, about the stunt we are talking about:

"If this didn’t work, I’d go back home and give up on my dream.”

Which seems to mean he still had a dream of being part of the startup culture in silicon valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
True, but at least he was being proactive and trying to do something about his situation instead of just looking for handouts.

Which can be said of lots of other unemployed people who have yet to get a job despite being proactive.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,705,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Yes, in silicon valley only, which means still a dream of being part of the startup culture.
Silicon Valley is a large metro area. There are many startup companies there and elite jobs for IT personnel. But like other major metro areas, there are ordinary establishments that have IT departments. Banks, insurance companies, manufacturing, and other run of the mill establishments that are found in any metro area. Nothing elite, nothing special. Yet David was not able to find employment even there.

Again, his dream was starting his own company, not working for anyone else. When he failed, he needed to get a job whether working for a startup or an ordinary established IT shop. At this point he needed money just to survive.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
which can be said of lots of other unemployed people who have yet to get a job despite being proactive.
+1.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
From the article, about the stunt we are talking about:

"If this didn’t work, I’d go back home and give up on my dream.â€

Which seems to mean he still had a dream of being part of the startup culture in silicon valley.
I'm sorry but I am not seeing that quote in the article.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but I am not seeing that quote in the article.
Click through to the NY Post article the Fox article references, the quote is there.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Click through to the NY Post article the Fox article references, the quote is there.
Yes, I see it in the referenced NY Post article. However, he was referring to getting an IT job at that point, not starting a new company again. He had no money. He needed to get a job to get money. When he would accumulate more money, then he would start a new company again, if it was possible.

But in the meantime, he cannot get an IT job, whether for a startup or not. That is what is disturbing. The N.Y. Post showed David's resume. It was well written and he had good skills and education. Yet in his professional statement, he wrote that he was flexible. To me, this means that he would have been content to take any decent IT job, whether it would be for a startup or not. Yet he could not get a job, any IT job.

It is only by resorting to this desperate tactic that he started to get offers. It is also interesting that these offers came without him passing any HR screening process, no jumping through HR hoops, no real interviewing, no competency testing, and no weeks of waiting like other job candidates who utilize the traditional, respectable way to acquire a job.

Perhaps other unemployed IT professionals can employ David's method and get outright offers with just a glance at a resume and no jumping through hoops. Maybe this will be a new best way to obtain employment. HR beware! You may no longer be needed! LOL!

I hope that David now has a job and is raking in the money. The best of luck to him!

Old 07-30-2018, 01:13 PM

79 posts, read 85,654 times
Quote:
It is also interesting that these offers came without him passing any HR screening process, no jumping through HR hoops, no real interviewing, no competency testing, and no weeks of waiting like other job candidates who utilize the traditional, respectable way to acquire a job.

I found that to be the most interesting take-away from all of this. The human element is often forgotten in the sea of automated processes and resume screeners. A lot of time a short conversation can tell you all that you need to know about a person, without going through all of the hoops/holding periods. Unfortunately, many people get screened out either because the automated process flags their resume as unacceptable, or they fall outside of the range (e.g. some of the software asks you to provide a salary range; if you're outside of their scope, you're automatically disqualified).

I do believe that the guy in the article could not actually find a job, but I don't know how "hard" he was trying. His stunt did result in a bunch of job offers, so in the end it worked out well for him. I would venture to say that this result would happen for nearly any decent programmer. The programmers on my team get solicited on a daily basis by folks offering full relocation and other benefits... I don't know if it would work for everyone in IT though.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I see it in the referenced NY Post article. However, he was referring to getting an IT job at that point, not starting a new company again. He had no money. He needed to get a job to get money. When he would accumulate more money, then he would start a new company again, if it was possible.

But in the meantime, he cannot get an IT job, whether for a startup or not. That is what is disturbing. The N.Y. Post showed David's resume. It was well written and he had good skills and education. Yet in his professional statement, he wrote that he was flexible. To me, this means that he would have been content to take any decent IT job, whether it would be for a startup or not. Yet he could not get a job, any IT job.

It is only by resorting to this desperate tactic that he started to get offers. It is also interesting that these offers came without him passing any HR screening process, no jumping through HR hoops, no real interviewing, no competency testing, and no weeks of waiting like other job candidates who utilize the traditional, respectable way to acquire a job.

Perhaps other unemployed IT professionals can employ David's method and get outright offers with just a glance at a resume and no jumping through hoops. Maybe this will be a new best way to obtain employment. HR beware! You may no longer be needed! LOL!

I hope that David now has a job and is raking in the money. The best of luck to him!
He wasn't at a risk of not finding a job (he could have moved back home and gotten something similar to the job he quit), he was at a risk of not finding a job in silicon valley in web development or QA Automation only (I assume, given that's what his resume was titled)

I agree about HR though. Networking, and finding ways to make a name for yourself without going through formal HR processes has a ton of advantages. Good for him for finding a way to set himself apart. "Everyone is a salesman, selling themselves".

I hope he takes this as a lesson that if you have such a narrow dream (a startup company working in web development in the Southern San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California), plan ahead a bit more.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:04 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Something is wrong with this economy. A quick look at his resume and that young Man should have not been in that situation to begin with. This is the canary in the coal mine. The system is broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment