Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:55 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,683,285 times

Advertisements

It really depends on the company. Where my husband works, he can take off as much time as he wants as long as he makes up the hours missed of his paid vacation (salary). He is off usually one long weekend (Thursday or Friday through Monday) per month, plus a week or two once or twice during the year. His first long weekend was the second week after he started! His boss is fine with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 02:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Really? Where in the world do you work where you cannot take a week off of vacation? Even low-end menial labor jobs get a week or two of vacation every year. I've been in the work force for 25 years now and have never once worked anywhere that you couldn't take a week off. In fact, time away is often *encouraged*!

To the OP - you will probably get pro-rated vacation for the rest of the year. So when hired you were probably told you'd get 2 weeks of vacation or Paid Time Off annually. Since you were hired mid-year your company will pro-rate that amount so you'll only get roughly 1/2 of that.
That is true. I recently took a week, but a co-worker is on her 2nd vacation of 3 weeks, and one of my people just returned from a 2 week vacation, while another was also away, for one week. After 9 years I am getting 7 weeks a year, and we can only accumulate 12 weeks, anything over that gets applied to our pay. True, much of the work sits and we often come back to a pile of work, but we are encouraged to take time of to get "refreshed."

Old 07-30-2018, 03:42 PM

152 posts, read 154,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My company says one year before taking any time off for vacation.
Well god damn, that makes me not want to change jobs. I have to wait a whole year before taking a day off?

I think my current company says you get 1 1/2 PTO per month worked.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,669,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
This depends on what you already have planned before you took the job. For example, If you have a 2 week long vacation with the family planned for next month, then tell them you have this time reserved and see how they handle it.

I know someone who had some stupid golf event planned the same week they started a new job and needed time off, and they let him have it. Golf, so stupid. I would have fired him for asking, but that's me.
I agree, if you already had a vacation planned and needed time off, this should have been discussed before accepting the job. Therefore you would know if they would honor it or not. Every employer is different. Some may make you wait a year, others could careless. I've been at my current job 10 months and I've taken 3 weeks off. The difference is its a small company and the owner doesn't care; however, I also don't get paid for the time off. As far as just wanting time off that wasn't planned, ask. I still think you should have known the vacation policy though before you took the job!

Old 07-30-2018, 04:19 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,723,450 times
Like others said, it depends on the org and their policy, and your supervisor. My org has a 3 month probationary period where time off is not allowed. Unless it is a special circumstance where I would make an exception but time off for leisure is a no.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,102,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. If I take a whole week off, I would be coming back to ALOT of work. So, much that I wouldn't be able to catch up by month end.
Then you are critically understaffed.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,061,025 times
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience at all. If I take a whole week off, I would be coming back to ALOT of work. So, much that I wouldn't be able to catch up by month end.
Your company lets you take a week off. It seems that employers do let people take it off.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,555,266 times
Quote:
That's unfortunate. Without knowing all the circumstances, a good bet is this is a symptom that of either a company/department isn't managed very effectively or management is unreasonable in their staffing levels or you need to figure out a way to delegate some tasks to be taken care of when you're gone.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,677,987 times
I tell prospective employers at the interview stage that I've booked a prepaid vacation on 'X' date( even if I really haven't at the time) so that there are no vacation request surprises after I start. I've usually never had a problem.

Working a year without time off is nuts. That's the period of time getting used to the company, your coworkers, your role and you'll need some vacation along the way.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM

348 posts, read 455,386 times
Every professional job I've had, I've been able to take a whole week off and even two. I currently have 4 weeks and I'm taking one week off starting next week. I still have to take a 2 week break for this year (it's required by the company for some employees to help prevent fraud).

To answer the OP's question, you will probably get pro-rated vacation for the rest of the year like a previous poster said. Read your handbook or rules or whatever it's called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment