Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

I've had 3 interviews with VPs of a small to mid-sized company this month (around 200 employees). The last VP said they'd be reaching out in a couple of days with an offer... more than 1-wk passed, so I thought they'd changed their minds & just continued sending out CVs, like I do after every interview. At 5pm today, a voice mail was left from the Dir of HR, saying she'd like to speak with me about the position... so, I was hoping to get some help before I call her back in the am.

This co has an extensive background check... work references, 3 character references, criminal history with FBI check & drug screening. I did not supply anything other than a CV so far, so am assuming she's going to ask me to supply SS# & references. No problem there, everything will check out fine with any of their background checks... but, I'm assuming no offer would be presented until I'm cleared, is that correct?

Also, since she's the HR Dir, is this the time I can bring up benefits or do I wait until there's a formal offer? We've not touched on the subject much during interviews... the last VP asked if they'd gone over benefits with me in the previous 2 interviews & I said no, so she began... but, we were quickly interrupted & never got back to the subject. I didn't want to press it, because our interview was 1-1/2 hrs (it was suppose to be 30-min) & someone alerted her to a phone call several times, so I felt uncomfortable keeping her longer & figured when they called with an offer, as she'd stated, I'd ask then. But, no background checks have been done yet, so she can't be calling with an offer, no? I'm assuming a co doesn't make an offer contingent upon positive background check, but just says they'd like to conduct one.

Also, I'd like any suggestions on how to handle this... this is not a step up or even a lateral move... I'm taking a paycut & lesser position than what I'm capable of handling... my choice, many reasons, long story. I'm assuming she'll broach salary. I normally turn the q around on them & ask their range, then say that's acceptable, because I have been interviewing for lesser positions & I'm sure they know I've made more... so far, I've avoided answering any salary q's in interviews. As an aside, do I need to reveal salary at my current job, if she asks? I'd rather say I'd just like to discuss salary with this position, I make more & am well aware that I'll be taking less, but don't know if that's reasonable?

I have researched what they pay on Glassdoor (although, I'm unsure how recent the figures are) & other similar positions with different co's with the same job title. I have a range with a $6K difference & would hope to begin in the higher range, due to experience. I've never successfully negotiated salary, because like now, I need the job & don't wish to risk losing an offer.

I know I can state reasons... lots of similar experience, can come up to speed with xyz quickly, can fill a need, etc... but, if they offer the lower end, I don't know how to express I'd like more. If the offer is $$, do I say, "$$$ would be better because I can offer xyz, etc... "? I'd expect a yes or no... then what if I get a no? I've read people have said you can negotiate an extra wk's vacation, etc., but I'm well aware I'm taking a lower, entry level position & don't feel I've got much bargaining space & honestly, don't know the proper verbiage to use.

Thank you for any help you can offer. I'd love a few opinions before calling her back in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
How to answer the salary question during a job interview

Quote:
Some states and cities have made it illegal for employers to ask job candidates about salary histories as part of the screening process. But that doesn't mean every person you encounter during the hiring process will know about or adhere to the rules.

"A lot of times people aren't well trained and they are asking questions without realizing it's illegal," explained Skillings. "Ideally, if you can dodge the question in a polite way; it is better than having to call someone out."

She suggested saying something like: "It's not so much about salary but finding right next position and I am open to competitive offer."

If you feel that you are currently underpaid and that sharing your salary will hurt your chances of getting a bump, Skillings suggested being honest and explaining why you are worth more. "Say something like, 'My current compensation isn't representative of the market norms,' and then list your accomplishments and qualifications."

If a hiring manager is really insistent on asking your current salary, and you're not in an area subject to laws that ban the question, you should answer honestly.

"Never lie about your salary," warned Lo. "Besides being unethical, it's something people can verify."

You get a lowball offer

If an offer comes in that's below your expectations, don't be afraid to ask for more.

"Wait for your most aggressive negotiation for when the offer comes in," said Lo. "At that point they've done their due diligence and have spent time and money so an extra $5,000 to $10,000 to them might not be very much, but to you that is significant and at that point you have the leverage."

You can take your time reviewing the offer, he added.

And it's not always all about salary. Take into account other benefits like an equity stake, a high 401(k) match or strong growth opportunities.

If the salary is firm, Skillings suggested asking for an earlier review at three or six months to re-evelaute pay and benefits.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you, SG. I read through everything before returning her call.

Turns out, I worried & didn't need to... she wasn't calling to interview me further or to haggle over salary (which is what I'm used to), but to offer me the job contingent upon background check & drug test... so, I might know by mid to end of next wk. The salary was more than I thought it would be, so I accepted on the spot without haggling over a few extra dollars... the benefits more than compensate.

But, your article was very helpful in that... today, I was also called for another interview, same industry. I'll interview with them asap, hopefully this wk.

Thank you again.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Congrats at landing a new job, and on the relatively good news on salary

Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Congrats at landing a new job, and on the relatively good news on salary
TY, FB. Relatively is a good way to put it... I've made far, far more in salary, but am happy for this opportunity... it's a new beginning with a good co in a somewhat new field. I sent you a DM before I saw your post. Thank you kindly for all your help.

As a backup, I received another call today for an interview, so of course, will go this wk. Never know what will happen with an offer... I've had them retracted before, for some unknown reason.

I'll let you know once I have a solid, written, formal offer. I've interviewed for years with 3-6 interviews per job & nothing has transpired, as you know, so it's been a rough road. I just want to be settled asap.

Cheers again for your good vibes.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 PM

15 posts, read 10,561 times
I am wishing you the best of luck OP. I know how stressful that journey can be!

Old 08-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Philly View Post
I am wishing you the best of luck OP. I know how stressful that journey can be!
Thank you, Bos. Sisyphean is what it's felt like... good luck to you, if you're interviewing, as well. Until I have a typed letter in hand, I'll still continue with the job search, but that should be by mid-wk, next wk.

Thank you, Everyone, for your good wishes & help in so many of my threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment