Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 PM

29,422 posts, read 22,323,817 times

Advertisements

This is a package handler job at UPS, one of the lowest positions you can have there if I am not mistaken. Hard physical labor, low pay, and horrible supervisors. I suppose some put up with it to get something better down the line like package delivery.

I'm all about being professional and two weeks, and it doesn't hurt to hand one in, but in the past I quit the job day of and never looked back (airport baggage handler). Just told supervisor, thanks, I'm out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,014,814 times
Thinking about it some more I would be concerned about a sales job that would expect you to drop your current job in a couple days. Why do they need someone that fast? lots of turnover? What kind of sales?

Either way don't phone in your 'I'm quitting' message. Do it in person.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,261,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Thinking about it some more I would be concerned about a sales job that would expect you to drop your current job in a couple days. Why do they need someone that fast? lots of turnover? What kind of sales?

Yes, I share the same concerns. Has the OP thoroughly researched this new employer and their history? Because I don't know of any good jobs that wouldn't expect you to start in a minimum of 2 weeks unless you were currently unemployed.

The OP has a few options here and this is mostly to see if this new sales job is really a good situation. Tell the hiring manager, that you need a later start date in order to give UPS a 2 weeks notice, since you don't feel just a few days is enough for them. This is the test, if the new employer gives you a hard time, then something strange is going on and I wouldn't take the new job. Because your request is reasonable. If they can't honor reasonable requests now, I would be suspect if they are going to be so understanding and legit when you work there.

I'm less concerned about UPS manager being annoyed at you than how the new hiring manager behaves now.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 08-02-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,891,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKGaming View Post
I'm currently working as a package handler at UPS. Honestly, I don't like it and the pay is pretty bad. I've been trying to find something else and I recently was offered a position in sales. I'm gonna take it (for now at least), but I don't know how to tell my current boss. I know you're supposed to give a two weeks notice, but this new offer happened super fast. They called me Monday, interviewed Tuesday, second interviewed Wednesday, and now I have the job and start next Monday. It happened so fast. I don't know how to tell my boss that I'm quitting. Should I tell him right away? Should I wait until the last day, which is Friday? I don't know...
Give notice immediately, and just say you forgot that weekends are not included in the 10 days notice and you got your dates screwed up. Don't burn the bridge, wave your hat as you waltz out the door.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,334,218 times
Quote:
I'm currently working as a package handler at UPS. Honestly, I don't like it and the pay is pretty bad. I've been trying to find something else and I recently was offered a position in sales. I'm gonna take it (for now at least), but I don't know how to tell my current boss. I know you're supposed to give a two weeks notice, but this new offer happened super fast. They called me Monday, interviewed Tuesday, second interviewed Wednesday, and now I have the job and start next Monday. It happened so fast. I don't know how to tell my boss that I'm quitting. Should I tell him right away? Should I wait until the last day, which is Friday? I don't know...
Answer is... tell the boss this instant. They will need every hour they can muster to find a replacement.
You can be apologetic but it won't be worth squat to them.
The start date should have been taken care of during the interview.
I am supposing you haven't been in the workforce for very long and don't know how it works.
The purpose of the 2 weeks notice is so the employer has time to find, hire and train your replacement.
Now it looks like your co-workers will be picking up your slack.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:23 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,929,285 times
Consider cash flow...You hate the job and it sucks but at some level the bills are getting paid to some extent. As for sales you can always sell cars.

That being said looking into financial services if your good or willing to learn sales you can write your own ticket.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,195,090 times
Quote:

First things first. Did the job offer come in writing?
Assuming so, give your current employer as much notice as possible up to two weeks. Your resignation should be hand delivered to your boss and a copy should be sent to personnel. I would even cc the union so that everything remains on the up and up.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:29 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,746,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

I agree. While there are reputable sale jobs out there, most are sketchy.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

9,195 posts, read 4,982,351 times
Quote:

I prefer not to burn bridges when I leave a place (not that I have done this often in my life), and giving notice is the courteous thing to do, IMO, whether or not the current employer appreciates it. It sounds like you accepted the new position without allowing for a 2-week notice so you're kinda stuck. I would give them as much notice as I could. What is the harm in that?

If you hate them, tell them to go to hell and walk out now Make it a spectacular exit that no one will forget. hahah

BTW, I thought UPS was the teamsters and you made good money? What gives with that?

Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,678,472 times
Don't be a douche and leave without giving at least 2 weeks notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment