Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:33 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times

Advertisements

If it was not illegal, it certainly was rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 AM

669 posts, read 581,195 times
I would bow out of any further discussions.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM

17 posts, read 7,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I live in NW Indiana and had an interview this week for a Marketing Rep position for a very large medical lab facility in Illinois. I met with the owner of the facility (some are franchised owned and some are corporate owned) and the Office Manager. During the interview, out of no where the owner asks me if I'm religious? I was taken back by the question as I know you're not supposed to ask that. I look over at the Office Manager and you can tell she was shocked too. I said, "Well aren't most people to some degree"? And he said "No" and then proceeded to ask about my skills, etc. About 10 minutes later he asks "Did you go to church this past Sunday?" And I said "No", because I actually did not. It's then that I notice he had a cross on the wall in his office as well. Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working". I'm sure after that I had a shocked looked on my face! He then says they'll call me when they are done with interviews if I qualify for a second interview.

Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.

What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.
Honestly: I would like people ask this type of stuff or at least make it common to me because I would not like to work with people that have a rather extreme (other) view on religion than me.

Lets say you get hired, would you like to work there?
You would like to work for someone that thinks like this: "Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working"

Also: the political correctness goes to extreme ways these days. I have no idea why this is (should be) an illegal question.

I feel that the freedom of being religious (or not, as I am) should be possible but without some sort of rule forbidden someone to ask about it.
In the end: it will end badly if you are an atheist and have to work with very extreme religious people or the other way around.

I know people state that work and religion should be separated just as work and your private life (eg sexuality) but lets be real here: at some point you end up with a certain conflict.

So I really do not see a problem with knowing that company A is rather religious while company B is not.

I also have no clue why you bother to mention this: " I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned. "

I also do not agree with the ****ty and idiotic law cases trying to get money from companies or people for reasons like this.
People just seem to find reasons to get free money for the most idiotic reasons.

Just my 5 cents.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 AM

17 posts, read 7,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's illegal and crappy. Certainly doesn't sound like anyone I'd want to work for anyway.

That said, I don't know any professional woman who has not been asked an illegal question at an interview at some point. Every single one I have asked has said they've been asked about kids, husbands, or the like. It still happens every day.
That is exactly why you WANT people to ask you this type of stuff!!!

Quote:
I don’t need the job (I have one) but I was exploring my options and I was definitely excited about it. Of course I wouldn’t except it now if it was offered to me, but I'm also glad I saw the true colors of the owner now rather than later!
See my previous post as well!
This is exactly why I am in favor of a more open minded interview rather than one controlled by several ****ty rules. We are entering a time in which a job interview becomes some sort of robotic type of interview where you can only be asked pre-selected questions by the government in order to avoid asking anything that is even remotely seen as "insulting".

Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If the potential employee's religious beliefs and practices place an undue hardship on the employer do you think he should have to hire them?

Let's say they observe the sabbath but the other three people they'll be working with have to work weekends. Is this fair to their co-workers and the employer? Let's say they need to pray at certain times of the day and those are the busiest times of the day, so someone has to work alone. Is this fair to the employer or their co-workers? Will the co-workers file hostile workplace claims?

I don't think employers with a small number of employees have to make accommodations for religious beliefs and practices.

I'm not sure this employer was asking because he would prefer her to GO to a certain church, it may have been so that they could know what to expect if she was hired. I've also heard a co-worker say they can't do overtime because their "husband won't let them" maybe he's experienced this as well? He could've just been gauging OPs reactions for his own version of an answer.

If she's offered the position, she does have to disclose her religious practices if asked.
That was not the case at all in this situation. It’s a Monday-Friday operation. Plus he made a reference of himself being Catholic after he asked me. It was obvious that the questions were intended to see if our beliefs were the same.

Yes Also, I think you’re wrong. I’m pretty sure I DO NOT need to disclose what religious beliefs I have in order to accept a job!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
I live in NW Indiana and had an interview this week for a Marketing Rep position for a very large medical lab facility in Illinois. I met with the owner of the facility (some are franchised owned and some are corporate owned) and the Office Manager. During the interview, out of no where the owner asks me if I'm religious? I was taken back by the question as I know you're not supposed to ask that. I look over at the Office Manager and you can tell she was shocked too. I said, "Well aren't most people to some degree"? And he said "No" and then proceeded to ask about my skills, etc. About 10 minutes later he asks "Did you go to church this past Sunday?" And I said "No", because I actually did not. It's then that I notice he had a cross on the wall in his office as well. Soon after he says I should ask my husband how he feels about me working there. I asked "Why"? and he said "Well you're married right? Do you also have kids? Your husband might need to approve you working". I'm sure after that I had a shocked looked on my face! He then says they'll call me when they are done with interviews if I qualify for a second interview.

Again, I'm more than qualified for this position. I found it strange how it all happened and I'm sure my interview was cut short due to my answers from his religious type questions. I feel if I don't get this position that I was discriminated some how. I am in my mid 40's, but don't look like it, more like mid 30's and Caucasian, blond and fair skinned.

What do you think and how would you proceed? I'm not one of those people who talks about suing and getting lawyers, etc., but this behavior was really beyond anything I've ever experienced before in an interview! I'm really bummed about it too because it paid extremely well.

Wow......the underlined part....I thought we left that back in the 80s.

As to the other questions, I probably would default to "Those are matters of my internal security and are not open for discussion.". Such an answer may seem rather stiff and lofty but on the other hand, with attacks against this or that religion in our modern world, perhaps not.

Personally, I see this as writing on the wall to not be part of this organization. I would see it as too many potential differences of opinion, from my belly dancing (I do have concerns of how those who state firmly that they are Christian see that) to our views of the trinity to the product (the medical lab) in question.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
McDonnel-Douglas can be interpreted as common sense. How can the OP show, indicate, or prove that she was the most qualified? How does she quantify the state of being qualified? Simply having XX amount of years of experience may not be enough. We have no idea about the qualifications of any of the other applicants or the person ultimately hired.

If in an interview, an Asian candidate is asked "where are you from" and they answer "Ohio." The interviewer insists "no, I mean where you are really from" meaning the candidate's ethnic heritage. This can be seen as an "illegal" question. If that Asian person isn't hired, is it automatically discrimination? It goes without saying that every candidate believes they are always the most qualified. Thoughts?

By the way, I'll go there. I've been on CD a for a few years. Every time a person of color brings up potential discrimination, they are told it's not real. When a woman brings up pay inequity, she's told it's not real. Funny how the CD audience selectively sees the presence of "discrimination" when the basis of the alleged discrimination is something that potentially applies to them.
I agree that people throw around the word “discrimination “ more than they should. However in this case I’m a white female, mid 40’s, the owner and office manager both white maybe early 50’s. My point (which has been made several times) was that the owner was obviously religious. A cross was hanging in his office and several religious type pictures throughout the rest of the office. He made several comments throughout my interview in regards to being Catholic, if I was religious and then at one point asking if I went to church that Sunday. IMO it was quite obvious that he did not want to hire someone unless they had the same religious beliefs as him. In that case I do believe it’s discrimination.

Now I was actually raised Catholic but I’m non-practicing now. If I was offered this job and accepted it, I can play along for a bit, but I see also this guy making my life hell or finding a reason to fire me when he eventually finds out I don’t attend Church. And that is discrimination. Proving it now, yes that would be hard but it doesn’t take away the fact that he is making his hiring decision partly based on his religious beliefs, again that’s discrimination.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relvar View Post
That is exactly why you WANT people to ask you this type of stuff!!!

See my previous post as well!
This is exactly why I am in favor of a more open minded interview rather than one controlled by several ****ty rules. We are entering a time in which a job interview becomes some sort of robotic type of interview where you can only be asked pre-selected questions by the government in order to avoid asking anything that is even remotely seen as "insulting".
It was insulting! Not that he asked about my religion, that was just ridiculous, but the fact that he asked me if my husband was ok with me working! I’m s grown woman! I’m not applying for a job at z strip club! It’s a 9-5 position and what my DH thinks of me working is none of his business! And my political views are NO ONES business! And honestly should not be part of any workplace conversation unless it’s related to the job!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,083,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If the potential employee's religious beliefs and practices place an undue hardship on the employer do you think he should have to hire them?

Let's say they observe the sabbath but the other three people they'll be working with have to work weekends. Is this fair to their co-workers and the employer? Let's say they need to pray at certain times of the day and those are the busiest times of the day, so someone has to work alone. Is this fair to the employer or their co-workers? Will the co-workers file hostile workplace claims?

I don't think employers with a small number of employees have to make accommodations for religious beliefs and practices.

I'm not sure this employer was asking because he would prefer her to GO to a certain church, it may have been so that they could know what to expect if she was hired. I've also heard a co-worker say they can't do overtime because their "husband won't let them" maybe he's experienced this as well? He could've just been gauging OPs reactions for his own version of an answer.

If she's offered the position, she does have to disclose her religious practices if asked.

I believe you are wrong here. It is legal to make it a job requirement that you work rotating shifts, weekends, etc but it is NOT okay to ask someones religious preference because you ASSUME that will prevent them from fulfilling those requirements. You can ask 'It is a requirement that you work weekends on a rotating basis, probably about one weekend in 3. Do you believe that would be a problem' Or 'This is a seven day a week operation including holidays and everyone has to work their fair share of the weekends and holidays'. That is the interviewees chance to bring up any days that they feel FOR WHATEVER REASON that they would not be available to work.

In the OP's situation I would strongly suggest they contact the National franchiser, the state Department of Labor and/or EEOC. I would also contact the US DoL since the franchiser is a nationwide operation. I would also let the franchiser know that I am contacting those regulatory organizations.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
It was insulting! Not that he asked about my religion, that was just ridiculous, but the fact that he asked me if my husband was ok with me working! I’m s grown woman! I’m not applying for a job at z strip club! It’s a 9-5 position and what my DH thinks of me working is none of his business! And my political views are NO ONES business! And honestly should not be part of any workplace conversation unless it’s related to the job!
Yep, the guy was a complete jerk. Still doesn't mean it was discrimination. Was your 20 years of marketing experience in the same exact industry as the company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment