Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,722,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

If this is you - why? Have you always been like this?
Well I was like that till I moved out and found out that once YOU are paying for everything...Well, to pay for it requires work and in great amounts...OK, Fair enough I started busting butt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,107,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
That is exactly what I do. When I was young and naïve, I believed in the work hard and you will be rewarded rah rah BS. After a long career spent watching nepotism and butt kissers get ahead while the hardest working most loyal employees were rewarded with more work and mandatory unpaid overtime only to be thrown out on their butts during mergers and private equity deals, I grew wise to the con. Employment in the US is a game and the only way to win is to do your best to exploit the other side. If you are an employee doing the least you can to sneak by is the best approach to life in the modern world.
Eesh, like you are proud of it. So what did your awareness of "the con" get you?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,061,623 times
I answer to this description! At least I did, before I became self-employed. Now I work my ass off, because I am the beneficiary; not some d!ck in a corner office.

My advice to minimalist workers:
* Stock up on office supplies on your first week. You don't know how long you're going to be there, so don't leave the premises without at least a few erasable highlighters, Sharpies, and binder clips. Do I have to say it? Be covert.

* When they say, "Where've you been? I've been looking for you," reply "I've been looking for you!"

* Cultivate a frown while staring at the computer. Also, make use of the Private Window that both Safari and Firefox browsers features. If your workplace is still using Internet Explorer, all the more reason to steal from them.

* Do not share personal information. Your co-workers are NOT your friends.

*Remember: there is no formal requirement for two-weeks notice. Assuming you have another gig lined up, an "I quit" phone call will suffice.

Been there, done that, won the unemployment benefits to prove it!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I am proud of it, I am no longer an easy mark for the corporate con artists that take advantage of good people. What it got me was the ability to walk away from bad jobs without any regret. I am loyal only to myself and will tailor my work habits to the way I am treated by an employer.

You act like I am supposed to feel guilty. Do you think an employer feels even a twinge of guilt when they downsize, layoff or push out employees? You are playing a one sided game that is rigged against you. Do you feel proud to be a corporate suck up and sycophant in exchange for a few crumbs from the master's table?
So perhaps it got you some peace of mind but what else? Are you going to retire early or at all?

Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I am on track to retire at age 50. Isn't peace of mind enough? I know that my mercenary attitude saved me from being downsized and laid off. At the first sign of trouble or whispers of merger I am gone to greener pastures leaving the loyalists to deal with it in exchange for promises of a paltry severance payment. Loyalty in the workplace is for suckers.
It this is true, great, despite your bitterness and idleness, you have used the system for a nice result, a very early retirement. But most people who practice this mentality won't be so fortunate.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,298,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Very true. At one point there may have been meritocracy but no longer does that exist. These days the only “reward” for hard work is just more work
It's so true.

And the real rewards go to those who know how to kiss the management's ass, to socialize, to visit the next door cubicles and talk and talk non stop about how their weekends were like, what happen at their homes, in their personal life, to bring in candies, coffee, donuts, cupcakes... to organize fundraisings (they know how to get people’s money for their advantages and credits), to plan Happy Fridays, house parties, picnics at the parks, etc...

People often say social skills are more important than technical skills, or soft skill is more important than hard skill.

Wonder why more and more employees are becoming smart asses.

When you know how to talk, you don’t have to do the heavy work, and you get promotions and raises.

What I wrote above is from my observation and experience through decades of working. At this point, I'm not mad, jealous, resentful or anything. Lots of times now I feel numb.

For me, through hard time, I have become stronger and smarter. I always believe in an honest work day for an honest pay day. I can't be a lazy type at work; I don't feel good to be so. That's just me. However, I do learn to blend in with socializing people a bit. But most of the times I still loathe small talks. Why do some people have to spend 5 minutes to talk about weather, somebody's personal life, this and that before talking about work? That is just wasting time and nonsense to me.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 08-06-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 04:24 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
And in general, those are the first people laid-off in an economic downturn.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,670,610 times
I put 100% into my job, MOST of the time, but not always 100% of the time. LOL! Why? Because sometimes you just have to take a break. But in all seriousness I do try to do the best I can.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:05 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,220,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

If this is you - why? Have you always been like this?
Personally I have never understood why anyone would allow themselves to sink to this level. I’ve seen this typ on the factory floor all the way to the boardroom and it disgusts me. Regardless of how you may have been treated by an employer, you should never give up on yourself like that. And that is exactly what you are telling everyone around you: I quit and am just going through the motions.

I used to love tossing around the saying that “some people quit the company and leave, while others just quit.”
Anything I could do to help the latter to find themselves another opportunity elsewhere I considered a victory for those of us who actually work.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM

7,910 posts, read 4,898,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And in general, those are the first people laid-off in an economic downturn.
I wish... but that’s not reality in contemporary corporate America. Can’t tell you how much deadwood and useless management I’ve seen that have survived round after round of layoffs while good workers and/or management were shown the door

A major problem these days is major problems aren’t addressed of dealt with until it’s too late. Problem employees and deadwood is swept under the rug for years (generally because of brown-nosing or the deadwood has some protector friend/relative high up) even when EVERYONE knows where the root problems lie

Companies will gladly keep the useless and idiots around until the company is forced to close its doors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment