Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It doesn't work that way. References are an important part of the hiring process. As a candidate you should be happy to provide references. If you're not, I probably don't want to hire you.
References are largely useless except to screen out people who are terrible employees.

I think OP said she's been at her job 7-8 years and she's still there so you can't contact anybody there. And before that? Something from 8 years ago is pretty useless.

I am in the same situation, I've been at the same company 5 years, and they can't contact anybody here (unless I quit or get laid off). The references before that are graduate school, a temp job, and a full time job. They'd all be glad to give it, but it wouldn't be useful to the employer.

In any case, almost anybody can get a strategic good reference from their old company, unless they were just absolutely the worst employee and nobody liked them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:50 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I mean the form doesn't just ask for names, it asks for email and phone # and wont let you submit the application unless you complete this info.
Enter generic numbers for some huge corporations. If they bother to call, they'll be caught in a maze of auto menus and directions to web sites. If they ever ask, you can just say "Oh, auto complete must have munged them" or "That's weird, those aren't the numbers I entered!"

Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It doesn't work that way. References are an important part of the hiring process. As a candidate you should be happy to provide references. If you're not, I probably don't want to hire you.
I haven't been asked for references in years and years. It's a silly waste of time. Anyone who asked for them, I'd consider that a red flag... they're easily fooled, lazy, trying to get someone else to do their job for them.

Seriously, what value is it to you to talk to three people I've told, "Here's the story, say great things about me"? Or, like other posters have said, you never talk to them because they just don't have the time to answer silly questions?

Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just because they are asked for doesn’t mean they will be contacted. Most employers want them only so they can save time when ready to make an offer. They are not going to waste time calling them in advance, before interviewing and considering someone as a finalist. If you want the job, give the references. Just make sure you contact the people and get their permission to be used, to ensure a good result.
They spend months on recruiting and all the sudden they need to save time, which would take less than a couple of hours to turn something around for a candidate? Allow me to tell you how the real world works, it isn't like a fictional TV show. Head hunters and staffing firms often post jobs that aren't real and they require your references upfront so they can contact them to use them to generate leads for their company. Even if the job is real, they do that to generate a leads list and gather information about the people and their companies so they can place more people. This is the life blood for a head hunter and staffing firms. So they call making it sound like they really are talking to them as a reference when it is really a sales ploy for them. So if the references look like it will be useful to talk to them about their company to help them place people, they call them even though they don't have a job or the candidate isn't on the short list.

I know because I've been a reference for people for many years, and I've been called many times where the conversation quickly goes to asking about me and my company, and not focusing on the candidate that used me as a reference.

I don't know why some people on C-D are working so hard to defend every action by any company as if it were all noble. A good company won't ask for references until you are much further along in the process.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I am in the same situation, I've been at the same company 5 years, and they can't contact anybody here (unless I quit or get laid off). The references before that are graduate school, a temp job, and a full time job. They'd all be glad to give it, but it wouldn't be useful to the employer.
You are confusing references with past employer verifications. References can be current co-workers, just not your supervisor or anyone else in management. Someone you can trust to tell you are applying for a job at the current place you work. People you went to college with that are working in a related industry. Or you build references through networking in the industry you are in or the industry you want to be in. Linkedin is very helpful for that.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM

203 posts, read 108,321 times
I also think some people are luckier than others when it comes to references. Some people are just networking whores, very extroverted, friendly and keep in close contact with people. When I have left jobs, I dont burn bridges at all but i also dont keep in touch. It's now been 6 years since I've even applied to another job. I admit i feel awkward and kind of like a loser contacting my references asking someone to vouch for me. It makes me worry that they wonder, wow she has no one else to call but me?

I will likely ask my most recent boss because he recently left the company...and another manager who left in 2015. For reference # 3...it's been a long time...i suppose i could ask other colleagues no longer at my company?

The other question is does a reference have to be a former boss? It seems this is what people are looking for in that a boss would make a better reference than a colleague but maybe not?

I am indeed kind of quiet and havent been great about keeping in touch with past colleagues and friends.

Is it weird to get a call years later to be asked to be a reference for someone? I cant use someone I'm currently working with.

Last edited by McBridge781; 08-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Now days people hiring are trending more towards not requiring references. Owners and recruiters see it as a waste of time.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
They spend months on recruiting and all the sudden they need to save time, which would take less than a couple of hours to turn something around for a candidate? Allow me to tell you how the real world works, it isn't like a fictional TV show. Head hunters and staffing firms often post jobs that aren't real and they require your references upfront so they can contact them to use them to generate leads for their company. Even if the job is real, they do that to generate a leads list and gather information about the people and their companies so they can place more people. This is the life blood for a head hunter and staffing firms. So they call making it sound like they really are talking to them as a reference when it is really a sales ploy for them. So if the references look like it will be useful to talk to them about their company to help them place people, they call them even though they don't have a job or the candidate isn't on the short list.

I know because I've been a reference for people for many years, and I've been called many times where the conversation quickly goes to asking about me and my company, and not focusing on the candidate that used me as a reference.

I don't know why some people on C-D are working so hard to defend every action by any company as if it were all noble. A good company won't ask for references until you are much further along in the process.

Exactly, and this is the fastest way to start to lose references.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Some schools are using this as a screening process. I had applied at a small college and apparently they had immediately emailed my references upon submitting the info (automated email). I know this because one of my references (whom I am also friends with) forwarded me the inquiry. It was very extensive - about 3 pages. Crazy.

That is why your status is "pending"...they are awaiting responses.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I also think some people are luckier than others when it comes to references. Some people are just networking whores, very extroverted, friendly and keep in close contact with people. When I have left jobs, I dont burn bridges at all but i also dont keep in touch. It's now been 6 years since I've even applied to another job. I admit i feel awkward and kind of like a loser contacting my references asking someone to vouch for me. It makes me worry that they wonder, wow she has no one else to call but me?

I will likely ask my most recent boss because he recently left the company...and another manager who left in 2015. For reference # 3...it's been a long time...i suppose i could ask other colleagues no longer at my company?

The other question is does a reference have to be a former boss? It seems this is what people are looking for in that a boss would make a better reference than a colleague but maybe not?

I am indeed kind of quiet and havent been great about keeping in touch with past colleagues and friends.

Is it weird to get a call years later to be asked to be a reference for someone? I cant use someone I'm currently working with.
Networking whores? That's a new one. Luck has nothing to do with networking. How ridiculous.

You don't know what networking is. It isn't about coming to parties, being loud and obnoxious to get attention glad handing everyone in the room, or whatever misguided fantasy you have about people who build a network. Let's stop that right here, because these are nothing but excuses for not taking control of your own destiny.

This is networking -- You find people with similar interests engaged in professional activities. I'm not talking about going bowling, I'm talking about attending user group meetings, meetups, online mailing lists, Facebook groups, etc. that are for those things, and you make contacts with people that way. Unless you are collecting shopping carts as your primary job for the grocery store, there are organizations and groups involved in whatever it is you do. If not, then go to meetup and start one, but chances are very good they already exist. Sometimes it is indirect to what you do, for example, you might use Excel a lot at work, I wouldn't be surprised there are things online for people who are into Excel. You have common interests, you share what you do, ask for help, you make contacts this way.

There are people I have not worked with or seen in many years who still use me as a reference. It isn't about them being a loser that they don't have anyone else, what is important about a reference is if they know how to be a good reference for you. Will they take the call, do they know what to say, do they know how to talk with hiring managers and clueless HR types that put you on a good light. Sometimes years will go by before we exchange e-mail about something. Then there is Linkedin, where it is much easier to see what others are doing and stay in touch with them. You notice they get a new job, you congratulate them, you ask them what it is like to work there. Before you know it, they are telling you about how they are expanding and there is a job there for you and their offering to send your resume to the hiring manager.

You can be an introvert and still building a very useful network of people. Hopefully I have cleared up that misconception for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment