Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,433,188 times

Advertisements

So much fearmongering. Tisk tisk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 AM

5,625 posts, read 4,167,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You sound like an absolute joy to work for.

Lawsuits are only a problem for those who plan to work for others the rest of their life. To answer the question: yes I know someone who has successfully sued an employer and did well afterwards.

The question is really "did they tell their employer or did they find out"? How did that work out for them?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:17 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,863,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Or know anyone who has sued for discrimination or retaliation or other serious civil infractions involving wrongful termination after they started a new job? How'd that work out for you/them, assuming the new employer found out. And what I mean specifcially is how did the new employer react.

I know someone about to do just that, and there's a nearly 100% chance the new employer will find out and likely won't be too pleased, because they are closely affiliated with the old one (different agencies of the same government body).
I hired an employee who had not as of yet filed a lawsuit against her former employer for retaliation. The situation was that her former employer had taken off the machine guards one weekend to have them re-done to make them easier to remove for maintenance to service the working parts of the equipment. This would be fine since none of the machinery was running that weekend.

The former company did not replace the machine guards and the employee with a group of her co-workers approached management about it. Management told them to run the machines anyways because it would take a while to get the new guards made. The employee and 2 of her co-workers then reported the machine guarding issue to OSHA, who came in for an unannounced inspection and fined the hell out of the company. A few days after the OSHA inspection, the employee and a couple of her co-workers who had been the ringleaders in reporting the unsafe situation were fired.

The lawsuit was filed about 3 months after she started, and she came to me explaining what had happened and that she might need to work different hours due to court dates. The company (wisely) ended up settling with her and the other 2 employees who were terminated. There was no real negative reaction from me or the company. Clearly the other company had it coming to them; they obviously did not give a crap about their employees if they were willing to make them operate equipment that was improperly guarded.

Sometimes other types of lawsuits can make new employers nervous, particularly ones that have involved the EEOC.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The question is really "did they tell their employer or did they find out"? How did that work out for them?
You're making a lot of assumptions here. It worked out for them is all anyone needs to know.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
I know a guy who likes to sue previous employers. He also likes to talk about his lawsuits to anyone who will listen, and to get other employees, current and former, to go along with him. No amount of networking will get this guy a good job because he's poison, so he's currently delivering groceries while talking about the good old days when he worked at xxxx or yyyy.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I know a guy who likes to sue previous employers. He also likes to talk about his lawsuits to anyone who will listen, and to get other employees, current and former, to go along with him. No amount of networking will get this guy a good job because he's poison, so he's currently delivering groceries while talking about the good old days when he worked at xxxx or yyyy.
Basically this. It doesn't even need to be the lawsuit being seen through official channels. If you get a reputation for suing old employers, why would anyone hire you?

All it takes is your name showing up in one local news article mentioning the lawsuit and you will be blacklisted from most companies. That doesn't mean people shouldn't go after old employers, but be confident enough that you're correct that you assume every new company you apply for knows about the lawsuit, and would agree with your side of the story.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
You're making a lot of assumptions here. It worked out for them is all anyone needs to know.
Lol, how can I make assumptions about my own thread an question?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM

You're assuming that this person has to work for someone else, for one.

Anywho, some people have legitimate reasons for wanting to pursue action against their employers. It's clear many people here are in management...which means you're just a higher paid worker for someone else. Word of advice: treat your subordinates with dignity and respect and this will never be a concern of yours. That way, you won't have to get on the internet and disparage or dissuade people who have been legitimately harmed by people in high positions. That, or make sure you're wealthy enough to absorb the cost of a suit yourself. When you're filthy rich, you can afford to treat anyone you want any kind of way (monetarily, at least. Morally...you'll probably still reap what you sow).

Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times
Years ago we had a guy apply to work here. This was maybe five years before I started. When a reference was called that person informed the department Manager that the applicant had a history of getting hurt at jobs. He would get hurt and sue or go on Disability. They ended up not hiring him.

The only reason that I learned about it was because the reference they called, was asked about his back ground. He told the facilities manager that he had worked for years for Texaco but at the moment was retired and had no plan to go back to work. The manger asked him to apply. He is still working here to this day, after 25 years.

And his "friend" the one that originally applied? He went on to work for a school district and got "hurt" a year later. After four or so years he ended up at another place and got "hurt" again. I guess he made a career out of it. If you don't have any morals I guess you can sue all of your former employers.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You're assuming that this person has to work for someone else, for one.
You are missing something here. I am the OP. I know the person I am asking about and he IS working for someone else. I was asking specifically about experiences of other people who ARE or WERE working for someone else when they filed suit, and specifically how that affected their relationship with that new employer (future employers after that who knew about the lawsuit are fair game too). There are no assumptions involved.
Quote:
Anywho, some people have legitimate reasons for wanting to pursue action against their employers. It's clear many people here are in management...which means you're just a higher paid worker for someone else. Word of advice: treat your subordinates with dignity and respect and this will never be a concern of yours.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment