Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times

Advertisements

Why would you even want to work somewhere that made you sign a paper claiming to be an LGBT ally if you are not? What types of jobs even do that?

As for not referring to someone by their chosen pronoun, yes, I imagine any company would show you the door. How is this even a question?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
"On moral grounds, I oppose the LGBT lifestyle"?

That's just like saying, "On moral grounds, I oppose the black lifestyle." Or, "On moral grounds, I oppose the female lifestyle."

Or, from your profile:

"Sexual orientation
Only two options: Straight or confused. I am straight."

I suspect there are many employers for whom these views would be disqualifying. Fortunately for you I don't doubt that there are employers who share your prejudices.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 4,221,614 times
OP, I think you'd always be valued here:

Asked illegal question during interview.

If they are still in business.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
On moral grounds, I oppose the LGBT lifestyle. A bunch of companies have let workers go just for speaking disapproval, whether in books, making donations to things like Proposition 8, posts on Facebook, etc that oppose the gay/trans lifestyle. I have heard rumors that, in time, perhaps 10 years from now, opposing it and it being known your stance will make you as hireable as a known KKK member or Nazi, and I've not exactly covered my tracks. Now, I'm not belligerent like Westboro, but I do like posts on Facebook and have posted my dissent to LGBT on city-data, Facebook, Twitter, etc and it's possible that a Google search could bring up my name or that colleagues could find out (when I did have a temp job, I did make it a point to NOT friend anyone from work on Facebook just in case someone did find out my views) but one cannot keep up their guard forever.

Do you think that if you are a conservative traditional marriage supporter who doesn't keep their views in the closet that you'd be better suited being self-employed than working for someone else?

BTW, just in case you're wondering, I DO NOT plan to change my views just to make myself more "hireable" if it really would make the difference, as morality trumps culture and popularity. (I thought that I'd point this out so that posts like "Just don't say anything" or stuff like that don't apply to me. I know what COULD happen and I'm wondering how likely it will be to happen.)
You have the right to express your feelings but people also have the right to respond to them, whether that be firing you or not.

I do not post anything that could cause any type of issue. I have learned my lesson about that. If you saw my FB, you would probably only see pictures of vacation and animals---nothing of substance.

I don't discuss things like this openly at work and when someone tries to, I guide the conversation elsewhere. I'm not getting sucked into anything.

BTW-My employer makes it very clear they actively support the LGBT community and has many ties with them. So I guess I would advise anyone who doesn't need not apply. So in that case, yeah, I could see them terminating someone.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:30 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,268,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
My only issue is the fact most of them go out of their way to broadcast to the world their status. Coming out of the closet... whatever...

Thing is though... nobody cares. Live your life however you want... just remember it's business at work and that's it.
Yeah, just like those stupid straight people who post photos of themselves with the opposite sex! How terrible!!!!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yeah, just like those stupid straight people who post photos of themselves with the opposite sex! How terrible!!!!
I know, right?!

Some women even walk around in public when they are pregnant. How can they do that? After all, every knows that they had sex with some guy.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You have the right to express your feelings but people also have the right to respond to them, whether that be firing you or not.

I do not post anything that could cause any type of issue. I have learned my lesson about that. If you saw my FB, you would probably only see pictures of vacation and animals---nothing of substance.

I don't discuss things like this openly at work and when someone tries to, I guide the conversation elsewhere. I'm not getting sucked into anything.

BTW-My employer makes it very clear they actively support the LGBT community and has many ties with them. So I guess I would advise anyone who doesn't need not apply. So in that case, yeah, I could see them terminating someone.
There's a difference between not being supportive, but not openly disruptive. It sounds like the OP takes it all very personally and would get disruptive.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,204,074 times
If you're worried about what employers may find out about you stop posting incriminating stuff online like on Facebook, Twitter,etc. It's as simple as that

Old 08-10-2018, 08:29 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Eh... you just haven't met the right guy yet, OP!

HA! kidding!

I do think your view might change over the years as you grow up, expand your social circle and meet more awesome gay people. You'll probably even begin to have in-laws, family members and perhaps even your own child identify as gay. You'll look back on your previous attitudes and shake your head at how blindered you were.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Absolutely right, Zentropa! I always say that the defining characteristic of anti-gay people is that they *think* they don't know any gay people. (Just like antichoicers think they don't know anyone who's had an abortion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.