Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:22 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

TLDR;

OP is bigoted against the LGBT community and is concerned if this could limit employment opportunities if this is negative piece of information was found out by a prospective employer.

Yes, and I certainly hope so. Because I'm pro-LGBT, and I go out of my way to weed out people who are anti-LGBT. I'm not interested in changing their views either just like OP isn't interested in changing their view, I just don't want them employed along side the intelligent work force we have so carefully cultivated. Because people who have bigoted views regardless of the reason unfortunately bring this defect to the work place and it hurts morale by not being receptive of change, other people's ideas, and respect for co-workers.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I could care less if your gay coworker brings his husband to the office party. I'd bring my wife.

Eh...no. I never have... and I'm a straight male who's had girlfriends or a wife for about 25 years now. I just don't feel to need to let the world know my sexual preference... unlike gays who like to get up on stage like Tim Cook and say "hey, look at me! I'm gay."

That's because the world universally accepts your sexual preference. For some people whose preferences are not so accepted, its important that they speak out about it and say "in your face, I am proud anyway" to the small minded people who don't allow them the same respectful and tolerant treatment that you take for granted.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:06 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That's because the world universally accepts your sexual preference. For some people whose preferences are not so accepted, its important that they speak out about it and say "in your face, I am proud anyway" to the small minded people who don't allow them the same respectful and tolerant treatment that you take for granted.
Exactly. Those coming out “announcements” are not for them, they are for young people and others in the closet and in pain and mental turmoil. It is to let them know they are okay the way they are. Many young people in the past committed suicide due to self-hatred and fear over who they are, and the many celebrities who have come out publicly have done a great deal to alleviate a lot of pain out there.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
On moral grounds, I oppose the LGBT lifestyle. A bunch of companies have let workers go just for speaking disapproval, whether in books, making donations to things like Proposition 8, posts on Facebook, etc that oppose the gay/trans lifestyle. I have heard rumors that, in time, perhaps 10 years from now, opposing it and it being known your stance will make you as hireable as a known KKK member or Nazi, and I've not exactly covered my tracks. Now, I'm not belligerent like Westboro, but I do like posts on Facebook and have posted my dissent to LGBT on city-data, Facebook, Twitter, etc and it's possible that a Google search could bring up my name or that colleagues could find out (when I did have a temp job, I did make it a point to NOT friend anyone from work on Facebook just in case someone did find out my views) but one cannot keep up their guard forever.

Do you think that if you are a conservative traditional marriage supporter who doesn't keep their views in the closet that you'd be better suited being self-employed than working for someone else?

BTW, just in case you're wondering, I DO NOT plan to change my views just to make myself more "hireable" if it really would make the difference, as morality trumps culture and popularity. (I thought that I'd point this out so that posts like "Just don't say anything" or stuff like that don't apply to me. I know what COULD happen and I'm wondering how likely it will be to happen.)

BTW, I'm not posting stuff that bashes gay/trans people, just stuff that posts my disapproval of the lifestyle.

If you're worried about being hirable I'd pose the question why do you care what others do and therefore feel the need to express an opinion about it, thus running the risk of not being hirable?

LGBT has absolutely nothing to do with you. Admittedly, I still find it a little weird being around a pair of gay guys. I know that's largely due to a lack of real life exposure. However, their lifestyle has nothing to do with me.

Live and let live. World would be a much better place if people knew how to mind their own business.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Clearly a lot of people missed the point of what I was getting at. I was asking if I'd become less hireable for what I did ON MY OWN TIME. Like do I have to fear being canned if my employer were to find that I liked Family Research Council on Facebook or that I commented in support of something like the Indiana Religious Freedom bill? With employers seeming to want to know more and more about us (i.e. Social Security number, previous salary, etc) in order to hire us, I'm wonder how long it will be before they snoop around social media to make sure that we think like they do.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
TLDR;

OP is bigoted against the LGBT community and is concerned if this could limit employment opportunities if this is negative piece of information was found out by a prospective employer.

Yes, and I certainly hope so. Because I'm pro-LGBT, and I go out of my way to weed out people who are anti-LGBT. I'm not interested in changing their views either just like OP isn't interested in changing their view, I just don't want them employed along side the intelligent work force we have so carefully cultivated. Because people who have bigoted views regardless of the reason unfortunately bring this defect to the work place and it hurts morale by not being receptive of change, other people's ideas, and respect for co-workers.
And your clear bias and assumptions about people who are not supportive of LGBT is different in what way? I find it just as ignorant.
So what do you do to 'weed out people?' I find your attitude truly frightening, much more so than someone who simply expresses their opinion about LGBT, especially if you hold any position of authority in the workplace. I personally cannot STAND SJWs such as yourself, but I don't seek people out, or try to 'weed them out' or even tell them to mind their own f*cking business (which they should).

Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
And your clear bias and assumptions about people who are not supportive of LGBT is different in what way? I find it just as ignorant.
So what do you do to 'weed out people?' I find your attitude truly frightening, much more so than someone who simply expresses their opinion about LGBT, especially if you hold any position of authority in the workplace. I personally cannot STAND SJWs such as yourself, but I don't seek people out, or try to 'weed them out' or even tell them to mind their own f*cking business (which they should).
SJW's are what I fear the most. They seem to be taking over companies like Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks, Apple, etc.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
TLDR;

That's a little harsh. You can have a point of view without being called bigoted. I just think if someone is secure in their beliefs, they don't have to air them all the time. If your beliefs define who you are, then that's OK, too, because your actions will dictate how obnoxious you are about your beliefs. It's like that saying about having a penis. It's good to have one and fine to be proud of it. Just don't go shoving it down everyone's throat.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:18 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Clearly a lot of people missed the point of what I was getting at. I was asking if I'd become less hireable for what I did ON MY OWN TIME. Like do I have to fear being canned if my employer were to find that I liked Family Research Council on Facebook or that I commented in support of something like the Indiana Religious Freedom bill? With employers seeming to want to know more and more about us (i.e. Social Security number, previous salary, etc) in order to hire us, I'm wonder how long it will be before they snoop around social media to make sure that we think like they do.

Lol, yeah we understood that this is about your own time.

They already do snoop around those places looking for red flags. That's why I never post anything online under my own name.

And yes you need to worry. Its perfectly legal to not hire you because you think its OK for businesses to discriminate against people for aspects of their being that have no effect on you and are none of your business (The Religious Freedom Restoration Act), or because you're in the local chapter of Assault Weapons Everywhere and Forever.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
You mean like being openly racist, sexist, or a party animal on social media could make someone unhireable? Sure. Socially-unacceptable beliefs and actions can have undesirable outcomes. Kind of like what openly gay individuals have always had to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment