Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:12 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
59 miles one way, about a hour and twenty minutes, company truck, get paid from time i walk out of the house to time i get back
All expenses paid. I would do that commute until I retire. You lucky son of a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I’m asking cause if I were to get this job in Wilmington DE I’d wonder if a 2 hour commute a day is feasible. I’d also trade in my car for a hybrid!
Brooklyn might be the best borough in NYC, but you'd be much better off to move or atleast have a place to stay during the week. I know most city folk would try to avoid living in jersey, but it wasn't that long ago that living outside of NYC, heck even living below the 20s was considered slumming it.

long commutes have been shown to be bad for your health in several different ways, not the least of which is sitting for 2 hrs which turns into 4 hours when you get stuck in traffic crossing not 1 but 2 different metro areas.

I drove from brooklyn to rockland county roughly once a month and it was enough for me to get the heck out of the area so I would have an excuse not to drive there anymore.

commuted from Rockland NY to parsippany nj for many years and it sucked at about 1hr door to door, but not nearly as much as my buddy who commuted from Islip NY to Midtown.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
By super commute I mean who on here drives 2 hours or more to work. I’m interested in knowing what cost are associated with your daily driving.

Thanks
My son did, for several years in Atlanta. He'd leave home at 5:30 in the morning for the 25 or so mile trip to downtown, and even at that hour I-75 was a total pain. They have moved to a much smaller area now.

The main expenses were not monetary, but stressed his physical being to a great extent. Very little family time was the biggest drawback.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
My son did, for several years in Atlanta. He'd leave home at 5:30 in the morning for the 25 or so mile trip to downtown, and even at that hour I-75 was a total pain. They have moved to a much smaller area now.

The main expenses were not monetary, but stressed his physical being to a great extent. Very little family time was the biggest drawback.
Still in Georgia? If so, where do you recommend?

Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 513 times
I commuted 1 hour and 45 minutes each way for 2 years 8 months. Before that, I had been commuting 1 hour and 15 minutes each way for 2 years. I hated it. It took a toll on me physically and mentally. I rarely got to see my son. I ditched the commute 13 years ago and it was the best choice I ever made.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:41 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Not driving, but I had to take 4 different buses--or a combo of 2 buses and at least 2 trains--to get between Philly and Norristown, at least 2 hrs each way. Never again lol.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
59 miles one way, about a hour and twenty minutes, company truck, get paid from time i walk out of the house to time i get back
Me too with paid time and company car. About 30 miles each way for me.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I don't understand why people would want to waste their life in their car driving to their job. We only have so many minutes to live, and you would choose to spend at least 240 of them each day going to/from work? Not me, buddy. I'd take a pay cut or move in a second.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand why people would want to waste their life in their car driving to their job. We only have so many minutes to live, and you would choose to spend at least 240 of them each day going to/from work? Not me, buddy. I'd take a pay cut or move in a second.
Couldn't agree more. I would only do it under certain (rare) circumstances:

1. Company reimbursed me for the commute and/or it counted as part of my work hours.
2. The job was mostly remote but required me to come into the office 1 day per week AT MOST.

Otherwise, my free time is way too valuable. Plus, vehicle wear & tear adds up faster than some people realize - it's not just about gas prices/fuel economy. When I do spend a lot of time in my car, it's on weekend road trips to go do something fun.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:45 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
I assume you mean one hour each way. I would do that for a decent job. If you mean two hours each way, I could not do that under any circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment