Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

So currently interviewing for internal roles for my professional development in my same company. I've had about 7 interviews. A couple of them, I was declined due to my current salary being too high(out of range). The others was due to my answers being vague and not providing enough detail. With being told this, I am currently working on my answers surrounding my current job processes/tasks/outcomes and how they benefit the business. My last interview, I went over my processes/tasks/outcomes and how they benefit the business...I still not get the job....Just not sure how to go about future interviews, as I am applying all of their feedback that they are giving me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I was terrible at interviews and was being laid off in 3 months. I kept getting rejected, it was so depressing. All I wanted to do was drink and cry.

At church, I found this charity that helped people in poverty. We went through some speed interviewing sessions. We had 10 experienced people as the interviewers and 10 others as the interviewees. Every 15 minutes a timer would go off, we would get our scorecard and 5 minutes of feedback. Then, the interviewers would change seats.

I went from failing every first round interview to passing many rounds of interviews. I would say my pass rate is 90%. You can't win them all.

I was laid off from the $11/hr and landed in a $50k/job. The recruiter said the pay was $40k and not to expect more than $42k. They called back all excited. They said the hiring manager was so impressed with my interview and skills, they offered me $50k. It was the top of their salary range for new hires.

It's been over 10 years, since I did speed interviewing sessions. I kept passing interviews for higher level roles. I have come a long way from $11/hr. Now, I am up into the $100k+ jobs, which is good in a low COL state.

Mock interviews with strangers saved me from the unemployment line. Practice makes perfect. It may benefit you also.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-12-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 09:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
OP, try to speak to the HR recruiter and discuss your salary expectations before you schedule the interview. Saves time.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 AM

23 posts, read 15,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I was terrible at interviews and was being laid off in 3 months. I kept getting rejected, it was so depressing. All I wanted to do was drink and cry.

At church, I found this charity that helped people in poverty. We went through some speed interviewing sessions. We had 10 experienced people as the interviewers and 10 others as the interviewees. Every 15 minutes a timer would go off, we would get our scorecard and 5 minutes of feedback. Then, the interviewers would change seats.

I went from failing every first round interview to passing many rounds of interviews. I would say my pass rate is 90%. You can't win them all.

I was laid off from the $11/hr and landed in a $50k/job. The recruiter said the pay was $40k and not to expect more than $42k. They called back all excited. They said the hiring manager was so impressed with my interview and skills, they offered me $50k. It was the top of their salary range for new hires.

It's been over 10 years, since I did speed interviewing sessions. I kept passing interviews for higher level roles. I have come a long way from $11/hr. Now, I am up into the $100k+ jobs, which is good in a low COL state.

Mock interviews with strangers saved me from the unemployment line. Practice makes perfect. It may benefit you also.
It really is pathetic that being able to come up with appropritate responses to off the wall behavioral questions determines if you will be hired.

I work in a technical field, and I'd say that 90% of the interviews have had very little if anything to do with the job itself.

If I own a business, I want people who are good at the job, not people who are good at answering irrelevant interview questions.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
So currently interviewing for internal roles for my professional development in my same company. I've had about 7 interviews. A couple of them, I was declined due to my current salary being too high(out of range). The others was due to my answers being vague and not providing enough detail. With being told this, I am currently working on my answers surrounding my current job processes/tasks/outcomes and how they benefit the business. My last interview, I went over my processes/tasks/outcomes and how they benefit the business...I still not get the job....Just not sure how to go about future interviews, as I am applying all of their feedback that they are giving me.
That is a lot of interviews. The responses are so subjective. If you are vague, the interviewer should ask for clarification. When I am dancing around something, I am interrogated. The interviewer wants to make sure you are qualified. Are you stretching or are you taking the next step?

No matter what you say they will find something else. I think you are being blocked.I have seen it time and time again. Folks are funny. The person who you think is your friend is the one blocking you. I think you need to start looking outside your company for job advancement.

I find it strange h.r did not inform you that some of the jobs were lateral moves.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Remember that being qualified is 50% of the battle. You could still lose to a more qualified person. You didn’t do anything wrong, the other person simply had more experience.

As to vagueness in responses, I find this with many candidates. If I ask them questions, they respond with vague answers such as “ I would follow company policy” or “ I would confer with my supervisor”.

That tells me virtually nothing. Maybe the company doesn’t have a policy, maybe you can’t remember what it is or don’t have time to look it up, or maybe your supervisor isn’t available. I am looking for what your decision would be based upon your knowledge and experience.

It’s fine to say “I would follow policy”, but you need to follow it with “but if there wasn’t an applicable policy, I would do X...

As for technical questions, detail is definitely better. It’s one thing to say that you can change the oil on a car. It’s better to say you would drain the old oil, change the filter, replace the drain plug after checking for weather, fill with synthetic oil because of reasons, etc. You want to respond to technical questions quickly, because interviews only have so much time, but completely, because anybody can claim the ability to do something. You want to prove it.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
It really is pathetic that being able to come up with appropritate responses to off the wall behavioral questions determines if you will be hired.

I work in a technical field, and I'd say that 90% of the interviews have had very little if anything to do with the job itself.

If I own a business, I want people who are good at the job, not people who are good at answering irrelevant interview questions.
All the interview questions were relevant. One of the things the class emphasized was to ask the interviewer the questions to clear the air. Many of us were very passive and answered the questions. It was the number 1 reason for getting low scores.

I'll close the interview with a friendly question of "Are there any concerns or questions that you have about my experience or skills?"

They may say something like, "you seem to be a little weak in this software". I'll address their concern and mention my experience in that software at a prior project.

I may have spent too much time talking about other skills to mention that particular one. A resume is a laundry list of items, you only have 30 minutes to address them all.

It's just that one thing that causes a manager to go with another guy instead of you. They never know what it is, until they ask. When I talk to friends struggling with interviews, I find that they never "cleared the air". They left the skunk in the room and never let it out. The manager is sitting on the fence. All they need is a nudge to make the hiring decision for you over another person.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
All the interview questions were relevant. One of the things the class emphasized was to ask the interviewer the questions to clear the air. Many of us were very passive and answered the questions. It was the number 1 reason for getting low scores.

I'll close the interview with a friendly question of "Are there any concerns or questions that you have about my experience or skills?"

They may say something like, "you seem to be a little weak in this software". I'll address their concern and mention my experience in that software at a prior project.

I may have spent too much time talking about other skills to mention that particular one. A resume is a laundry list of items, you only have 30 minutes to address them all.

It's just that one thing that causes a manager to go with another guy instead of you. They never know what it is, until they ask. When I talk to friends struggling with interviews, I find that they never "cleared the air". They left the skunk in the room and never let it out. The manager is sitting on the fence. All they need is a nudge to make the hiring decision for you over another person.
Excellent point, and I am a bit embarrassed at not having pointed this out.

Don’t be afraid to bring up your weaknesses. The interviewing manager has certainly seen them, if you ignore them you only give the interviewer a reason to reject you. Addressing them gives the HM a reason to excuse that weakness.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
There comes a time when you have to realize that you are simply not going anywhere within an organization.

I can understand a few times, but the OP has been declined for an internal position seven times, for a variety of reasons including salary and answers being too vague.

Trust me, if another department/group really wanted you, you'd have been hired for those spots already.

In a previous company, I applied to multiple other departments because I wanted out of my department. And I got turned down every single time, and they already had someone else in mind to hire. After the fourth such denial, I knew what time it was, that I was forever stuck, and that I would never get an opportunity to transfer internally. So I did what I should have done before, look outside for another job.

You can either be proactive in looking outside the company if you truly want to advance or learn something else, or keep subjecting yourself to the games these people play, stringing along applicants event though they never have any intentions of hiring you.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There comes a time when you have to realize that you are simply not going anywhere within an organization.

I can understand a few times, but the OP has been declined for an internal position seven times, for a variety of reasons including salary and answers being too vague.

Trust me, if another department/group really wanted you, you'd have been hired for those spots already.

In a previous company, I applied to multiple other departments because I wanted out of my department. And I got turned down every single time, and they already had someone else in mind to hire. After the fourth such denial, I knew what time it was, that I was forever stuck, and that I would never get an opportunity to transfer internally. So I did what I should have done before, look outside for another job.

You can either be proactive in looking outside the company if you truly want to advance or learn something else, or keep subjecting yourself to the games these people play, stringing along applicants event though they never have any intentions of hiring you.
I agree. She said her manager has been acting funny towards her since she announced her plans. All of a sudden no one wants her. Internal advancement is difficult. It took three tries to get into one department. I tried to get into three more during my time at the company but no sale. I did not get an interview.

I still think the vague line is a cop out. You cannot talk about something you do not know. Why haven't you progressed further in your career? So you do not have experience in doing x? Lol! Happy job search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment