Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,590 times

Advertisements

they probably need to pay more than 8.00 an hr! I am sure these reps get paid beans so no wonder there isn't any incentive!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 AM

167 posts, read 453,355 times
take our noses and rub in it. How did ATT manage business before? How did it get where it is now but on American labor!!!

Corporate Greed.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Having to deal with a customer service person you can hardly understand their English is something I'm sure many of us can do without. I don't know about AT&T, but I've heard enough stories from many people I know, who had to call a customer service number and end up being more aggrevated with the person they spoke with, than the issue itself.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
take our noses and rub in it. How did ATT manage business before? How did it get where it is now but on American labor!!!

Corporate Greed.
And then union greed drove them out of business or out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Having to deal with a customer service person you can hardly understand their English is something I'm sure many of us can do without. I don't know about AT&T, but I've heard enough stories from many people I know, who had to call a customer service number and end up being more aggrevated with the person they spoke with, than the issue itself.
I have too, but it's just as often in the USA as in a foreign country that I cannot communicate with them.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:44 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,780 times
Ha!! They can't find skilled workers, LOLOLOL
Funny.
They can find skilled workers, they just don't want to pay them a livable wage.
Such silly double talk.
The US is abundant is underemployed people.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
Funny.

I wonder how all those "underemployed" people can manage to buy enough products from these companies in order for the companies to stay in business?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
AT&T was a great company to work for until the mid-90s when most of the veteran management had retired or moved on. They started bringing in CEO's du jour and they each had a different vision on how they could screw our company up in the name of innovation. We spent so much money on trying to compete in the local phone service market, it decimated our corporate strength.

There was also a heavy atmosphere of promoting incompetent people to get them out of the department and they in turn would continue to screw up in a more responsible role. Coupled with laying off high quality people, outsourcing portions of the business, and failing to follow a strategically plan, our company became a shell of what it once was.

Me and many of my friends were all laid off with 20-25 years of service each. Dumping good people became their mantra. No wonder the mighty AT&T fell so far, it was bought by a baby Bell. A shame for sure!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
I don't know who's running AT&T anymore. The company is one big melting pot of cultures of SBC, Bell South and the original AT&T. Remember that SBC was also made of a lot of baby bells, and Bell South's corporate mentality is that of work first, people next (or last!). AT&T probably won't be content with their size and will continue to gobble up the little landline and wireless companies that they can...they're no different from banks. But people keep buying what they turn out. They come up with some new gizmo or price plan, and voila! There is a market.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
they probably need to pay more than 8.00 an hr! I am sure these reps get paid beans so no wonder there isn't any incentive!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep ... it always comes down to pay. They can find workers if they pay well but, of course, they don't want to do that.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Ha!! They can't find skilled workers, LOLOLOL
Funny.
They can find skilled workers, they just don't want to pay them a livable wage.
Such silly double talk.
The US is abundant is underemployed people.
There is a distribution center near my hometown that pays about 18/hour which isn't shabby at all in a low cost of living area. Sadly they have trouble finding people that can pass the drug test and show up for work.

The US is abundant in addicts and people that live in their parents basement. 30 hours a week at $8 and hour is enough to keep them in beer and weed. This describes a number of people I grew up with including relatives.

Paying a "livable wage" for answering phones? Sorry, there has probably never been a time in this country where you could raise a family by answering phones. My grandfather was a mechanic\trucker with 5 kids so he tended bar at night to make ends meet. My other grandparents were farmers, my grandma cleaned a doctors house for extra spending money and also sold eggs from the chickens.

My dad worked in a factory for 38 years, my mom went to work as a bank teller once I hit junior high age. As a family we cleaned the bank every night for 6 weeks one summer to get enough money to go to disney world.

I worked jobs all through school, saved my money, got an education in a very hard field and shockingly....it pays a living wage.

You want people to have a living wage for basically having few skills beyond showing up for work? Not happening. If you want to make decent money, have some skills and work hard. I'm not willing to pay extra at my grocery store so the guy bagging groceries can make a "living wage".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment